My new crush also turned out to be my new next door neighbor! Should I still ask him out?

So, funny story, just the other day my friend came over to my apartment and I told her about this attractive Australian guy who works on our college campus. We talked about him for probably a good ten minutes, and let's just say she doesn't exactly have a quiet voice. She told me I need to just suck it up and tell him that I'm interested and ask for his number, which I was planning to try and do the next time I saw him.

Turns out, I'm running late to work this morning and I hear one of my new "mysterious" neighbors leaving his apartment as well. I look up, and of course it's none other than Attractive Australian Guy! I was so surprised I couldn't do anything but exchange a polite greeting with him, but now I'm wondering if he may have heard everything my friend and I were talking about. I wouldn't be very embarrassed by it if he did, but now I guess I'm just not sure if telling him I'm interested is the right thing to do. Should I try and build up a friendship with him first so as to not make him feel awkward (since we'll definitely see each other fairly often) or do you think I should still go for it?

What Guys Said 2

• Yes, you should try and build friendship, you should go for it.

• Just go for it and see what he says

What Girls Said 1

• Build up a friendship, then if you see him on campus you have an excuse to walk home together... Also you'll save yourself from disappointment if he does turn out to have a girlfriend