Is there a 'right' time to say those 3 little words when you start dating someone?

Ok so is there right time to say I love you in the dating world?
I mean is it more acceptable if you've known each other for a few years, you decide to date and then a few months later you say you love them? Or does it not make any difference how long you've known them cause when you know you know?

My now ex boyfriend said I love you after knowing me for a month. We weren't friends before hand! I mean we'd only just met. Then there's pressure to say it back and that if you don't you could offend or upset them.

So is there a too soon or not soon enough?

Most Helpful Guy

• Another subjective answer for a complicated question: The right time in my opinion is when you feel the emotion of love rather than the pressure of there to be love. In other words, if you’ve been dating someone for a month and you’re confident in your interpretation of your feelings and you suddenly realize you love the one you’re with, then by all means tell them that you love them. Why? Because you never know what the future may hold and I for one would not want someone to doubt how I felt about them if something was to happen to me.

Life is way too short in my belief to leave such things unsaid. We aren’t promised tomorrow to live or even the next five minutes. We only really have the here and the now to experience this life and to share such life with those we love and the people around us. So if you love someone. Tell them you love them. It doesn’t matter if they don’t say it back to you right then and there or if it takes them longer to come to terms with their own personal feelings about you. What matters is you let that person know how you felt, and for such you are to be commended. Not everyone gets the chance always to say those last three words before they are gone from this world, therefore, never leave for tomorrow what you can do right now.

That’s the bottom line.

Most Helpful Girl

• You can say you love someone plenty of times but if you don't show you love them then the words are meaningless. Sorry, I'm being philosophical right now. Anyway, I'd say wait a few dates or so before you say it.

I agree, I have found out the hard way to take more notice of actions and less of words.

What Guys Said 17

• For me, eventually I will fall in love with a girl and I get this strong desire to tell her. But I'm not totally sure if I mean it or if she will accept it or even believe me.

So I wait for a moment where I just can't help it. It'll normally be after something crazy happens or after I see her do something that's just "So her"

It's not about how long I've known her, it's about when will it mean something to her

• It depends from a case to case scenario but generally I think real love takes time to develop. If someone said that after only a month of dating the chances are that the love is gonna fade as fast as it developed. I can't imagine myself truly falling in love before like 6 months.

• "Did you fart?" You can say that anytime you like :)

*Reads description*

Doh! Those 3 little words! Nope there isn't a right time but I believe that it isn't something you necessarily have to say. If you love someone then show them! It certainly has higher value than just saying "I love you" and you won't freak out the other person, like your guy did with you.

Haha! Yes see that was somethung I didn't have. He never expressed it through actions, only words and unfortunately words mean little when they aren't backed up with actions.

*something

• Uhm. Whenever you feel it I suppose. For us. We literally spent every night together for a few months just talking and every moment was just perfect. I'd sit there with the biggest smile on my face just being with her. And. One day she said it to me. And I felt the same way. And yeah. But we're not awkward or anything. We can say literally anything to each other so it wasn't a stressful thing.

I don't think there is a "right time". Could be a few weeks.. Could be a few years.. (Though I think if you truly have chemistry and feel connected with someone it shouldn't take long for you to feel that way.. If you're going months / years and have no actual feelings of love or are worried about saying it I think it would be time to start questioning if you're trying to force something that isn't meant to be..

• 3pm, 4:30 at the latest

• No, I don't think there is any defined time limit as such but yes you should go on a few dates with them before you can be sure about your feelings for them.

• yes when you want to make it official... The Next Step!

• Expressing love is more important than saying it.

• Dunno, always seems a bit cringy.

• It really depends on how close you two have grown.

• Best way to say it is when you really mean it. It takes practice to know when you really mean it.

• When you have decided to marry them.

• Never say "I love you' unless you want them to take you for granted.

• I love you, is not only a feeling you have. Its an appreciation for who they are. when you have that you can say it

• If you haven't known each other before dating? 6 months to a year, the longer the better.

• I don't know if there's a proper time, maybe when it feels right I guess.

Having said that, I'm very cautious about my approach if I find myself catching feelings for someone early on. There was a girl I recently met who has very attractive and had so much in common with me. We even made out to one of my favorite bands.

I'm not gonna say I love the person but i definitely felt a connection and saw potential if that makes sense.

I feel like I could talk to her endlessly but I don't because I don't wanna seem like I'm overly into her.

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 1

• When you truly feel it..