Would you still date someone if their parents were racist?

My current boyfriend told me his mother said that because of my race we have "bad genetics" she also went as far as asking if i have any "criminals" in my family. Im part Native American, Russian, and Scottish. She thinks because of my Native American backround That i dont work, have drug/ alcohol problems, lack of education, ectect. She also seems to not want to meet me. Hmmm...

Most Helpful Guy

• That's a tough one. Maybe it depends on the sort of relationship the person has with their parents, and where those parents are. Like if this person rarely even talks to her parents and they live in Guam or something, it might be a lot more doable. :P

Most Helpful Girl

• Wow, so ignorant. There is only one race and that is the human race. Last I checked your human. Sounds like she got serious problems with self. You don't have to tolerate someone like her. I would advise that you tell your boyfriend that you would like to speak with his mother at an appropriate time a. s. a. p or there is no relationship. Don't be in a relationship where the parents do not respect you. I don't care what she doesn't like as far as not meeting you. She needs to be an adult and act like one. Overall I would advise you not to stay, but that is your choice. Be prepared for more issues from her, especially if she likes to get into her sons business like that.

What Guys Said 25

• i would only if the parents were not a constant presence in their life. but if they are constantly going to be around (which is really how it should be) then i feel like i couldn't.

• That would depend if the one I'm seeing supports me

• It would be a difficult situation but if I really loved the girl I wouldn't drop her for anything :o
    I would agree to disagree with mom or dead in law :o

• Lol my brother is native American and never had that problem. In reality you are dealing with a fluke. I wouldn't let it get to you if your boy is the right one.

• i dont give a fuck what my parents think if it comes to my dating choices. They are pretty liberal that way though, i guess they would have a problem if she was from pakistan or bangladesh lmfaoo but i dont give a fuck if i like someone who is from there too.

Oh I was a little sleepy so didn't ready it properly.

I think the boyfriend is trying to avoid you or is a weak ass pussy who can't stand up for you either way should not be ur type

• i think your current boyfriend is lying all about that because he wants to dump you and be with that ugly bitch.

• It depends on how much notice of their parents' shit they take.

• yep i would date regardless, some people just hate for no reason so dig in and dont try and prove yourself just be you! never let anyone make you act in a way that is not you!

I just believe she's like that because of lack of education herself. I dont go drinking every weekend im actually findinf healthy alterantive ways to keep myself occupied like i work out, im in college, passing with a 4.0.

Well for her to think of my family as bad people, i think that was pretty rude, without even meeting me or them.

well if you want to pm no worries, sounds really odd to be honest?

• Tbh, I'd make me want to date them more.

• Date whom you want who you want. just don'the introduce your man yet... wait until you sure that he knows you. tell the man you're dating that the folks are racist and let him know from the start so he could be well prepairedvtorvthe discrimination he's about to get

• if she was not a racist, it´s ok. one isn´t responsible for ones parents.

• Yes, i'm not dating her parents.

• Yes, because parents don't matter to me.

• A couple should do with their member want to and they should forget about their parents. If some parents don't approve the relationship is annoying, but you shouldn't choose a partner just to please them.

• Another one for the shit pile.

• You look white, Just tell them you are white

• But you're also Russian and scottish? Wtf?

• No, I don't think so

• No I wouldn't

• Yupppp

• As long as they aren't racist towards me, I wouldn't care.

• Yes I would. I'm not afraid to defend myself.

• Yeah. They shouldn't be judged because of their parents. You don't have to spend time with his mother nor should he expect you to.

• Only if they're white.

• Yeah as long as they don't say anything to me, but those were silly reasons

there's more reasons just didn't feel like writing them down.

Thank you

Your very welcome

What Girls Said 12

• Hell No.
    My uncle got married to a French woman, (she was the one who clumped on him, she even told us this and it makes us laugh) her parents are cool with it, but her sister is a total b*tch because she hates that her sister married an Arab.
    Jokes on her, she got divorced because her husband cheated on her, and my uncle and his wife are still married for 15+ years and have 3 kids. Seeing how the sister treats her, I WILL NEVER want to go through that.

• I would be like, let me prove her wrong.

• If your partner isn't racist then just because his parents are doesn't mean he is by the way. Unless family is that important to you, they will learn to accept you with time.
    My parents are racist even to themselves but I'm not.

• yes i take great joy in getting the sons of these racist idiots sexually addicted to me. especially only sons and firstborn sons. whenever i can i remind these idiots that they are fantasizing about their being pure when they are actually mixed with aboriginal south east Asian blood and to never forget that they are not pure yayoi. the shame on their faces.

• People are ignorant. I should be a drunk then. I am black and part Apache. Well, maybe you should continue to stay with the boyfriend. His mother sounds messy and it seems as though she likes to keep shit going. Marry him too. I bet she will sit her ass down. You don't have to worry about her coming over being bossy

• I don't think I could do it

• No I wouldn't. I won't tolerate racism

• I don't know I think it'd give me more motivation to prove her wrong.

• Wow what a b*tch, if i never had to be around her I guess it could work but honestly I would want to get pregnant by her son just to piss her off more lol

• If the parents are always going to be around then hell no! Parents should stay away from their children's relationships anyway unless they are teenagers of course. At what point as adults do we tell our parents to keep quiet?

• Yea, as long as it was definitely for the long term. My parents did, and both their families are racist one very much so and one just slightly... but they made it work. Fuck letting a dumb racist dictate what you're gonna do.

• depend is this person racist toward me? if yes then I would dump him. If no then I would still date him (my parents are racist too so)