Is love worth the risk?

Being in love has its benefits and its risks... Do the benefits really outweigh the risks and why?

Most Helpful Guy

• It's defiantly worth the risk I've had my heart broken 3 times now the first which was really, really bad lol. But I keep coming back for more each and every time because the endgame what's at the end is worth more to me then the pain I may or may not have to deal with in the process.

Most Helpful Girl

• The "risks" of love aren't really risks -- if you look long-term enough. Even the most incredibly painful heartbreak will EVENTUALLY turn into something *positive* -- in at least two different ways.

1)
    Think about the way buildings are retrofitted after they're damaged in an earthquake.
    The parts of the building that were WEAKENED by the quake... are the parts that are repaired, sewn up, and reinforced.
    And these are precisely the parts that become STRONGEST in the new, retrofitted building.

The same is true of a broken heart.
    In exactly the places where yr heart was broken, you'll eventually come back more self-aware, more worldly-wise, and... just STRONGER overall. In exactly those places, where yr heart has been "sewn up".
    You've got a retrofitted heart -- and it will absolutely weather life's storms BETTER than an "intact" heart would.

2)
    Emotional memories almost *always* become more positively biased as we grow older.
    This is a psychological survival mechanism -- and it's also the basis for "nostalgia" and "sepia-toned reminiscences" and all that stuff.

Basically... NO MATTER HOW BAD something is... Give it a few years, and it'll suddenly have gone from "bitter" to "bittersweet".

Give it a few *more* years, and you'll find it has gone from "bitter" to "bittersweet" all the way to... "sweet".

Go out there and LIVE.
    And love.
    And cry.
    And scream.
    And get yr heart broken... and get it fixed... and then do it all over again. And over and over and over, if that's what life has in store for you.

But... go out there and live.
    And love.

What Guys Said 18

• Well the heartbreak along the way sucks, I'm going through my first right now, but I'd like to think at the end of the road when you find THE ONE and fall in love that it will be worth everything you go through to get there.

• Each to their own. I realized that love isn't real at all or what I originally had thought it was. Just chemicals and hormones doing their thing inside our brains and bodies just to create the desire and drive to procreate and mate. And yet, all life created as a result of those desires comes with much miseries, pain, illnesses and disappointments, suffering and an unavoidable and inevitable death!

"Love" is just there to try to prevent us as a species from dying out, as we will die and can die no matter what we do. Just think about it. If we can't die in the first place, then "love" would not have really mattered at all in the very first place! It would have no meaning and purpose at all!

• oh yes, definitely, even though i haven't been in love very often, i can tell you, just being with someone, the feeling of having someone to always turn to, to be with and to protect is one of the greatest feelings, and being a team two people that just get on amazingly well, i haven't been in a relationship for a while, but i can say, it feels great, really it does.

• That's up to you. No one can properly prioritize for another. It up to each person to decide what they want in life.

Being more of a loner, things like marriage and kids aren't of interest to me.
    But since I'm not a complete loner, I will likely seek companionship just so I'm not so lonely in life.

Life is what you make of it after all.
    So the real question is, "What do you want?"

• Does the thrill of Motorcycle outweigh potential death sentence? And yet people such as myself knowing the risk still ride, I been in a motorcycle accident after an SUV made unsafe turn and we collided and in the end I came back to riding.

Love is same shit, it's a gamble. Lucky or unlucky for me I don't posses the mental or emotional capacity to love given how I always been.

• absolutely.
    I was with my ex wife 25 years. Married over 20. I love her to this day more then anything on earth other then my sons. The divorce was not my desire. I am dating but have a very hard time trusting women. Still, even with the pain of losing her, it was completely worth it.

• Absolutely it is worth it! All the shit and drama you go through looking for love is worth it when you finally have that intimate connection with that special someone.

• Depends on your bank account. If you have nothing to lose financially and he does, it's worth the risk because you can collect cash and prizes in the event of a divorce for simply being "unhappy".

• Don't live for death, live for life.
    The journey is more important than the result.

• yes it is worth the risk

• Fuck love, i dont love these hoes

• No. It costs too much. Money for nothing.

• risk? if your life is in danger don't even try it

• Definitely.

• Just the "TRUE" love yeah worths the risk.. but the "FAKE" one nooo

• Love doesn't exist as we think of it. It's just chemical reactions.

• For me no. I've resigned myself to being alone which is okay. I'm just too shy to ever take the chance.

• They do. Why? Because loneliness can kill you.

What Girls Said 2

• I've been madly in love and deeply hurt by it, and there isn't a single thing I'd change. Never in my life have I ever felt like I was exactly where I wanted to be before I was in the arms of someone I truly loved.

That feeling is worth any heartbreak that might follow, and no matter what happens the memory will always be there to keep your heart warm on cold, lonely nights.

• Simply the human condition and human emotions, we can't help it! When we love someone, we don't really think about the risks of what might happen if something goes wrong because we're simply biologically programed to look on the bright side of things. When we see or fall for someone that a potential partner that's just what happens :)