Do you think people are telling the truth when they say looks don't matter?

Most Helpful Girl

• I mean it does matters to an extent. It's kind of like asking if money matters in life, yes it does to an extent.
    Looks isn't as important as some people make it out to be though. I mean having a very attractive partner is great but it isn't what matters in relationships (or at least it shouldn't). Personally I've been into guys who aren't even my type or very physically attractive to me, but they haven't necessarily been ugly, just not what people would consider "attractive" and personally I don't really mind as long as I feel chemistry between us.

Most Helpful Guy

• Kinda... those things are very complex. I'll try to explain:

First of all, we all have different preferences and these preferences will define what we find attractive. I think that very few of us are willing to be with some one that we do not find attractive (always according to our preferences). However, there's always the possibility that we'll fall for someone that is not the way we consider attractive. If this happens, how many of us would be willing to actually make a move or accept it?

My point is that looks do matter, even though many people say it doesn't, nobody wants to be with someone who's not what we define as attractive. Surprises happen though, maybe things stronger than us that can make us give in or even redefine or preferences, let's not count on it though.

What Girls Said 17

• No.
    Looks always matter to some extent.

• Nope.
    https://m.popkey.co/155d06/ldJZ0.gif

Looks always matter to an extent.

• Looks matter. But people's opinions on looks always differ.

Personality matters more. And peoples opinions on personality differs as well.

• I think those who say that have been influenced by something deeper than looks alone.

• No they are lying

• No. Women in particular aren't completely honest with men about looks and sex. Which is funny because we can be brutally honest with each other but not men.

• yes i think they do!

• Now and days yes. Social media plays a huge part on looks, and there's a lot of people who are infulenced by it. Its sad in a sense because people truly loose their true self trying to be like these people they see.

• Well if you have a face on you like Quasimodo the Hunch-back of Notre-Dame then they probably lying to you.

• Some are, some aren't.

• No, I could never date a deformed guy
    Or a morbidly obese guy
    Or a guy with nasty rotting teeth.
    If a woman truly can date a man not basing anything off his looks I would think she has incredibly low standards

• Looks aren't everything but they matter to a certain extent

• Yes and no

• Look dont have to matter but if the person let him/herself go then that is just not good.

• To some extent, of course looks matter. The range just varies person to person.

• I think they're lying..

I always said looks don't matter. I thought I could fall in love with anyone, even if I wasn't physically attracted to them. Recently, though, I was being pursued by this great guy - super kind, respectful, similar interests - but I just couldn't date him because he wasn't my type physically. And it's nothing against him, but I think most of us seek out partners that we would enjoy having sex with, as well as spending time with. To spend time with, I don't care. But sex is a part of a relationship and when I have sex, I prefer to be attracted to the person.

• Some yes, some no. There are quite a number of people who say the above cause they genuinely mean it and they are looking for more than looks. But there are also a good number who are just saying it cause it's a socially acceptable thing to say, and they say it to make themselves look good but don't necessarily mean it.

What Guys Said 8

• If they are implying that they don't matter at al then I think they are either full of shit or delusional.

• No, I think to some degree it matters to everyone. You might not base everything on it but you have to be physically attracted to them.

• Fuck no.

• Most people, especially women, don't mean it when they say it. Trust me.

• Looks are useless
    Even in sex

• Nope, they're lying. As looks always matter to some degree or another.

• Most people don't say that. Or old people say it, meaning 'looks shouldn't be how you choose a partner'. On the other hand, if people are suggesting that most others don't care about looks, they're lying.

There are a few people who don't care about looks, but tbh, i'd not want to date them. I don't want someone who doesn't care how i look. I want someone who -likes- how i look.

But people do choose looks for picking their partner. As someone said for even getting a chance it's 60% looks and 40% personality.

@BubbleBoy69 I don't think I disagreed with that!

To asker, you might be surprised to know that the appearance factors that are 'not genetics' have a much bigger impact on judged appearance than you might think. Sure, a 2 isn't becoming a 10, and frankly, a 9 isn't going to fall below 6.5 or so.

But there's quite a bit that you do that shifts things.

Work out, dress in clothes that express your style AND make you look good, have a good hair cut, learn to project some confidence and ease, smile, look people in the eye, and even if you are not genetically that great looking, you'll be considered average or slightly above quite easily.

• No they are lying. To them they may think they are not being judgmental of people and caring about personality more but that isn't true. People perception of others and their personality is heavily influence by their looks.

A good looking person will be looked at as good by default. If they aren't an asshole to people right off the bat, people will let them get away with several things before deeming them bad. Good qualities of a good person would be amplified while bad qualities would overlooked.

Contrast

An ugly person will be on thin ice with people. People will be looking at any minute transgression to demonize this person as a bad person. While their good qualities will taken for granted and overshadowed.

Why do people do this? The answer is we are program by the media to consider good looking people as good and bad looking people as bad people.