Have you ever been in love with someone that didn't love you back?

I was seeing a guy recently for almost a year. He never really wanted a relationship from the beginning, we just wanted to see where things went. My feelings for him grew and I fell in love with him, but he didn't feel the same way. Still didn't want a relationship. Also told me he doesn't think it's a good idea to continue seeing each other. It hurts more than anything and I still can't get over it, after not speaking to each other for 2 months now. Ever been in a situation like this?

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes, my first girlfriend.
    I was 20 and she was the first girl who would even talk to me.
    I fell hard and by the end of the one year of our relationship I was as deeply in love as it was possible for someone to be.
    For the first time in my life I knew happiness, even joy, and I felt fulfilled.
    Then, just before Christmas, she skipped town with someone else.
    What came out was that she had used me for a year to conceal from her parents that she was maintaining a secret relationship with a bad-boy loser of whom they disapproved.
    I had a mental and emotional meltdown. I did not know that it was possible to feel that much pain and not die. I wanted to die.
    I spent nights reciting my favourite Shakespearian soliloquies to a Colt 1911. I still do not know why I did not kiss the barrel.
    After 10 weeks, she was back.
    She had become pregnant, so he had thrown her on to the street, because she was no longer able to go out to work to support him.
    We lived in a city that, at the time, had a population of 120,000 people. It was impossible to not bump into her from time to time. Every time that I did, I dissolved into a mess.
    I left town and moved 1,600 kilometres to get away from her.
    The experience left me psychologically incapable of feeling romantic love for a female. Such a strong link had been formed between involvement with a female and unspeakable pain that my subconscious deleted the folder titled 'romantic love' from the operating system.
    I did not realise this for the next decade or so, because, until I was about 30, I could almost not get a date. I was not what women in that rage range wanted. I was not a bad boy, a player, or some other variety of loser or scumbag.
    When women began to come sniffing around, after they and I had passed the age of 30, I found that I was dead inside.
    I dated off and on. I even formed a relationship with a woman who bore me three children. Inside, there was nothing. Just a black hole.
    It has been 15 years since I even touched a woman.

Most Helpful Girl

• I was in love with a guy for two years. He liked me I liked him. But he would always date other girls. It might have been because we were friends. But to this day it still bugs me because I still have feelings for him because I knew him for a very long time (around 5 years). But because of the judgment of other people neither of us did anything. It SUCKED and still kind of does.

What Guys Said 3

• There was one girl. I knew her since grade 1 and loved her intelligence from there. I spoke to her 2 times throughout my primary school life ( yes I remember every time), then we went to different high-schools. I never saw her again until college.
    There, I told her that I was in love with her.
    She was a kind girl, so she never really broke my heart.
    She would never tell me yes or no when I brought up topics about love or relationships. She would simply dodge the question. When I asked her about that she admitted to it.
    So here I am, in love with a girl who is not in love with me. On the bright side she said that she doesn't want a boyfriend so she is forever alone.

• Yes. . . .

• Apparently my ex wife was

What Girls Said 3

• I've never been in love

• Yup. It hurts but you have to let them go

• story of my life... but we hung out and had causal sex from time to time. Now we're just friends. it takes time but you'll get over it trust me