Liking a guy older than me?

One of my close friends is 8 years older than me, and I have feelings for him. Am I too many years apart for him to like me? Also, if I do ever find out he likes me too, is it any different in a relationship from the age difference? What should I know?

Most Helpful Guy

• If you like someone, you shouldn't keep such thoughts and feelings from them in my opinion. In my experience if you find out someone likes you and you like them too, then that's even more sense to seek them out and let them know how you feel and what your desires are. You never know what might develop between the two of you, but nothing will happen if you remain silence.

In my experience I have been with individuals who are both older and younger than I am, and I will tell you, in my view, the age gap should not matter; not one little bit. The heart should be allowed to have what it wants, so long as both are consenting adults and it is legal. That's the bottom line here, in my opinion. If you're happy and the other's happy and you both are enjoying each other and you both make each other happy, then by all means, be together.

I will state, however, because you asked about differences, you'll run into some issues such as in the realm of likes and dislikes. This is where you might run into problems. If he's older, then he may enjoy a different type of music than you because of the generational gap, not because of the age gap. When there is a difference in the generation you grow up within, then you can run into issues with the relationship. Your taste in music is different. Your style of clothing and what you like and don't like. Your view on politics. These are items which can bring about disagreements in the relationship between you two and why communication and compromise is the key to keeping the relationship stable and healthy.

If you don't like his music, is it a deal breaker? If he prefers Hilary to Trump---is it a deal breaker. These are the type of questions you'll have to ask yourself or whether or not you can overlook his bell-bottom jeans versus your parachute pants to determine if you want to continue the relationship or if you're differences are too much for you to handle long-term. Hopefully these are minor things in the overall nature of your relationship, but someone may feel they are too major for anything serious to develop between two people. That's a choice you'll have to make for yourself; you're in charge of your own happiness. End of story.

Most Helpful Girl

• Depends on him on whether he thinks you are too young for him or not. Some men may find you too young and others may not so really only he can answer that.

As for what you should know, if it would be any differently because of the age difference, I do not think it should be. I would assume it would have all the same things like any other relationships. Just like any relationship, you figure out what works or does not work for the two of you.

As for if you are too young for him, I think generally speaking, someone 28 would be too old for someone 20 just because I believe people grow/change/develop a lot during those years, 20 to 28, so I do not think a lot of people are compatible at those ages. But you said he was a close friend so if you are compatible enough to be close friends I would assume you would compatible enough to date.

Good luck. :)

What Guys Said 2

• Age is just a number. If it's meant to be it's meant to be. If you like him and he likes you then go for it. The only setback might be what your friend's and family think about it?

• 8 years is an okay age gap,

What Girls Said 1

• As long as he respects your age and you respect him, if you really love each other I would go for it!