He all of a sudden seems uninterested?

I've been talking to a guy I met online for a little over a month now. We've only met once in person because he was traveling a lot and we both left for school a few days after he got back. The meeting in person went really well, and he had been giving me vibes since we'd been talking that he was interested in a relationship with me, (i. e. telling me he'd deleted his online profile, telling me how much he wanted to meet me, that he wanted my emotions, my heart, not just my body etc.). However, since we got to school he's been a bit more distant, and yesterday when I was trying to be affectionate he told me that since the next year is a bit up in the air for him (we're both graduating early and he's going to be traveling a lot) he didn't want to promise anything would happen with us, he also told me if I met anyone at school that I should go for it because he didn't want to hold me back from pursuing someone. This all felt like a 180 to me and kind of upset me because it's very hard for me to open up to people and be vulnerable the way I have been with him, so to have him all of a sudden pull back from the "we're probably going to be in a relationship in the near future" track to "hopefully it'll work out but I don't want you to feel tied down" just felt really sudden and I'm not sure where it came from. I don't know if this is his way of trying to distance himself from me, if I'm coming on too strong, if there's someone else he's interested in, or what.

What Guys Said 1

• he has told you what he thinks so just get on with your own life and if your paths cross again so beit

What Girls Said 1

• Maybe there's someone else.
    He doesn't want to promise anything, He doesn't want to hold you back from pursuing someone. HOPEFULLY it will work out, I don't want you to feel tied down.
    He's making it crystal clear that he's not into you. he's trying to letting you down basically he's telling you it's not working out between you two. Most likely he found someone else from the dating site.