My boyfriend has a kid. Why am I upset?

My boyfriend is 21 and I'm 19, we've only been dating for 2 weeks. Last night he told me he has a 4 year old son. He said he didn't tell me because he was scared of how I'd react. I stopped talking to him for the night and cried. My question is, why did I cry? Why am I so upset? I can't pinpoint the emotions I'm feeling and why I'm sad. I guess it's not as huge a deal as it seemed when he told me. What would you do in my situation? I feel like he waited until I really liked him and felt attached.

Most Helpful Guy

• You're disappointed, which I understand. But two weeks really isn't that long, and I can kind of understand why he would wait to tell you, especially if he's told other women in the past and they reacted negatively and took off on him. If he was waiting until you feel for him, then he would have waited much longer than two weeks.

Most Helpful Girl

• Because a kid is a huge responsibility and you're only 19. You cannot handle it.
    It was a normal reaction on your part.

What Guys Said 3

• He told you in a short amount of time, so I would think he did it right. Maybe you want all of his attention on you, or you are afraid of him having to go to his ex's house to pick his kid up sometimes?
    Maybe you aren't ready for the responsibility of a kid yet.

• Because now he's going to make you try to get to know the little kid, and the little kid will now start calling you "mommy"

So I would suggest dump the dude and go find yourself a guy that's not going to ruin your life.

• If a
    My girlfriend did that to me. I rule instantly dump her.. And would be upset too...

What Girls Said 1

• It's only 2 weeks. Not exactly hid it for long...
    no idea why your crying. It's not that big a deal