Why would a guy say I love you during our first date?

It was not even a date. I was with my friends at the beach where I met a French guy.
We talked a lot and he was the nicest, but when we were kissing he laughed and said "I love you" wtf.
I pretended not to hear, maybe I heard wrong (i doubt it) or maybe it was like a joke but is really rare.

Most Helpful Guy

• You won't know until you're willing to take the leap of faith, that's what makes it finding love

It could be true and maybe not, let us know how it goes

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't know, boys get weird sometimes. A friend of mine messaged me on snapchat and told me he loved me and would marry me yesterday. He wasn't even drunk. We have never had a relationship like that at all so it was weird. He said it very lighthearted but he meant it. I also have a friend from Italy and he is quite romantic like that. He says 'I love you' nearly every time we talk. I think they use it a lot lighter than we do.

What Guys Said 9

• I don't think its serious, I don't think its a "I love you" kind of I love you. I will tell people I love them but its not serious, like a joking kind of thing. I would just take it as that and not take it to seriously.

• I don't know for sure, but I think the French use the word in different ways than we do. Or, he thinks lust is love?

• Those cunning sex obsessed French bastards will say anything to get you into bed ;)

• Most difficult question to answer... May I suggest that you give it some time before making a conclusion? I didn't fall in love with my wife at first sight ,,, but did when I read her most unusual headline... The only thing that matters is sincerity...

• He totally pulled a Ted Mosby lol

• He's mixing up different types of love. He may have an. overwealming amount of emotion for you and mistake it as love. He may see you as the one and mistake it as love. That's a type of love but not "true love". I wouldn't take it too seriously.

• You were kissing... that means love.

Why does culture f*ck up sex and love? Love comes first then kissing then sex. Get it straight or hire a prostitute.

• I think it's cuz the French are more romantic and passionate lol tbh us dating culture is weird asf

• Obviously he can't really, so he's just a player and wants to get in your pants and will say anything to get what he wants.

What Girls Said 12

• Well he's French so there might be a cultural difference, or a language mix up. Or maybe he meant it in a joking, light hearted way.

• Was he drunk? haha.

• Creepy...

• Three possible reasons

*He is rarely around girls
    *He thinks you are stupid
    *He is a very real needy guy and HUGE future red flag

• I live in the UK, have several French friends and work for a French company (well, it's now American but whatever, lots of French colleagues!)

This is not a cultural difference, the French don't go around saying they love people after 1 "date"... sure they are typically lovely, romantic and traditional... but saying this so soon shows a lack emotional maturity (assuming he was serious and not drunk or joking)

If he is cute, then totally hang out with him but be warned!

• Because he is trying to talk his way inside your pants!!

• French are very romantic

• That can be for one or two reasons, either he was really nervous and is really interested in you or which I hope not is kinda douche and thinks because he said I love you'll sleep with him. Yeah... I hope it isn't the latter, that would suck.

• Ehhh that's so awkward! I don't know Lol that's never happened to me

• Because he's horribly desperate or shitty at small talk

• For french guys say I love you is more like saying I really like you.

• Aww haha