Girls, how can a guy start a conversation with you on the street?

Let's say a guy sees you on the street, thinks you're pretty and wants to get to know you. What is the best way to approach and start a conversation with you?

25

Most Helpful Girl

• Well first, if I look like I'm in a hurry, don't approach me please.

Second, just act normal. Don't try to come off super smooth or whatever; I honestly don't trust guys who are charming and/or fast talkers. They come across like salespeople who push and manipulate you into buying what they're selling.

Third, if I don't appear receptive, don't follow me. Learn when to quit.

Honestly, what would probably work is just walking up and saying "excuse me, would you mind if I ask for your phone number? You're very pretty." It's simple, polite, flattering, and not overbearing. If I say yes, great. If I decline, just say okay and be on your way. Don't try to persuade her or insult her. The guys who do that, are the reason we don't like being approached on the street.

This actually seems like good advice. Thanks. What do you think of trying to have a short conversation the girls? Because I find that if you just ask for their number then even if they give it to you they're less likely to respond when you try to follow up with her.

If it's appropriate, feel free to have a conversation, but don't try to force it. Happy to help! :)

What Girls Said 24

• Timing is everything, and so is observing your surroundings. Most people "on the street" are going somewhere and don't trust to stand and talk to people they don't know. If you see a woman who is busy on her phone, or walking fast, looking unimpressed or not in the mood, the harder it is. However, if "on the street" also applies to sitting at bus stops or sitting on a park bench, then you at least can bank on a minute or two to say something.

Great opening ice-breakers can include:

"Have we met before?" A lie, of course, but then say you think you've seen her at Starbucks. Then say, "I don't think I'd forget someone like you..." leaving it open to sound like a compliment.

"Are you from (city)? You look familiar." Again, a lie, but work with me here. It gives you a reason to start talking. She might say where she is actually from, and you can start talking about it.

"I love your purse (scarf, Kindle, dog), my sister wants something like this for her birthday. Where did you get it?"

(If carrying a book) "Hey you're reading [book], is that a good author, I've been meaning to read his stuff."

(If clothing says something) "Oh you're a fan of [whatever], that's cool so am I. Are you part of the Facebook group of theirs? FB me and I can give you the link."

(Find any reason to connect on Twitter or Facebook or anything that can continue talking to them later on. Then make sure your page is clean of bullshit and drama that might put her off so that she can explore who you are.)

(If she's eating or drinking) "Hey where'd you get your coffee from, I'm trying to find a place."

If things seem to end short after any of these examples, then you can just say as if you're planning on putting your experience with her on social media, "Awesome, I'll have to post this later... 'got to talk to a gorgeous girl today AND grab a tasty coffee'."

Good luck!

These are good ones. thanks

• I'm creeped out by guys who does this honestly. Please stick to approaching women in social gatherings :(. You'll only make us uncomfortable.

If u do HAVE to approach a woman let her know immediately that u know it's awkward but you felt compelled to just approach her. Ask her if she works/live in the neighborhood u approached her in. This is to just make things less awkward and to break the ice. Let her u know u are on your way to work, the gym etc and ask her if you guys can continue the conversation lata. This worked on me before.

Tip 1: Please don't be obvious. In other words. Other people in the vicinity should not be able to hear you attempting to woo her. You'll just embarrass her in the event she's shy. You do that, and she'll do just ANYTHING to get away from you.

Tip 2: If you look a hot mess please reconsider approaching her. But if you must approach her while looking like a damn bum APOLOGIZE for it. For example, if you're in construction clothes hint that you just got out of work. (We'll be delighted that u are hardworking and that you aren't jobless)

Tip 3: Please do not come off as someone who pick up women off the street all the time. That's a turn off because you'll look like a playa-type scumbag. Eeeewww... lol.

Tip 4: Use humor! If you can make me laugh in this kind of circumstance I'll want to see what else u got in your "comedic bag"! Hope I helped!

• Well, first take a good look at yourself in the mirror and decide if you're creepy looking or not. That's the first thing. When it comes to approaching women out in the world we're on guard and worried about running into creeps, psychos and stalkers. You have about five seconds to prove that you're not any of those things because our fight or flight senses are going to kick in and you're SOL. Lots of GaG guys here complain that women won't give them the time of day and that's likely because they did something to creep her out without realizing it. We're physically weaker than you and get approached by scary creeps all the time so your first objective should be to show the girl that you're not one of them.

If you've got a sloppy appearance (this does not mean physical), then don't be surprised if she doesn't give you the time of day. Get a female friend to critique you if need be.

Next is to have some flipping confidence in yourself. It's up to her if she wants to let you talk to her or not. You want to give off the impression that if she says no or blows you off then you're not going to get bitchy and blow up on her.

You can start by making a comment about something she's doing or ask her a safe question. You can compliment her on something non-physical. Be casual and cool, it's not a big deal. Confidence, confidence, confidence. Ask her about something she seems interested in to get her talking. Make it quick because she might be on her way somewhere or her friend might show up and drag her away.

You can ask her out for coffee later or better yet, leave your card with her which puts the ball in her court and gives her something to think about later. And she will be thinking about it. Trust me. Then walk away and carry on like nothing happened until she's out of sight. Again if she says no or doesn't accept it, be polite and walk away.

• Many Tomes Today find it Easy to Just Start... Talking, Flirting and even Trying to Pick a Girl up if they Get the Chance.
    'On the street' is Never a Sweet Deal for me. It appears somewhat Inappropriate and somewhat Mistrusting.
    However, with being Light and Semi Sweet and Acting like someone who is a Guy with a Try, being friendly and seeing if you can Begin a Beguine of a Possible friendship, might work.
    Good luck. xx

I don't understand your answer? lol it sounds like you're saying approaching on the street is a bad way to meet girls but be friendly when you do? But yeah I'm always friendly with them

lol Oh, well, simple. You are right. It is a bad idea but Sometimes can work if you are friendly and maybe she will bite. xx

• Just don't. Obviously I'm out for a reason and have things to keep track of and do. Some random stranger is not going to make any of those things easier or get done faster.

Leave us alone.

• Yeah... don't draw it out... we all know what you want. Just go for it quickly and to the point. Say I'm pretty and ask for my number. If i'm up for it fine, if not move on. I've already seen you and made up my mind. I may be in the mood, or be having an awful day but that's the chance you take if you do it that way. Just don't be cheesy, or desperate, or creepy... and don't do it late at night or it will freak me out.

• Don't be creepy. Say hi, get to the point, and if I ignore you, don't follow me...(shudders...).

I've dated guys who do that, and each of them was safe looking and friendly from the first word. But most guys might be better off taking their chances when I'm not busy or when the place I'm walking in isn't crazy.

• They could just say that I look approachable and they'd like to get to know me. Just get to the point, I wouldn't mind. Or they could compliment my hair/shoes/whatever catches their eye first :)

What kind of compliments do you like hearing about your hair/shoes/etc?

I dunno...'nice shoes/hair/etc' would do the trick... you don't need to come up with sth extraordinary to impress me. I appreciate any small compliment/gesture

• Well, with me that won't work so I dont really know how to help you with this. XD

• Any approach that is respectable and non aggressive/hostile and non creepy is EXTREMELY welcomed! Just start a conversation easy lol.

• They're A lot of good ways to start conversation's on the street.
    Seeing something that sticks out on the girl and starting A conversation about it usually does the job
    for example, If I see someone with band bracelets I like, I'll go up to them, Introduce myself, Shake thier hand, Look down, Compliment the bracelets and ask were they got them. BOOM. Conversation started. After that We'll most likely be talking about our favorite bands.
    See A Necklace that look's good on A girl?
    Ask her were she got it, How much it cost and that you want to get your family members one.
    See A girl's style you really like?
    Compliment it, Go up to her and just say I really like your style and that you think it look's really good on her.
    Simple thing's like that will get A conversation going very easily, But some girl's are awkward, Like myself, And the conversation may die down.

• I would be creeped out if a random stranger starts a conversation with me with an intention of 'getting to know me better '. So, there's no way he can start conversation with me.

I know I didn't specify this but I thought it went without saying... when I say "you", I don't mean you personally, I mean as in " you girls" lol. So advice for approaching girls in general

• NOT the time or place dude.

Don't get snarky @Ivoiriangirl20 because she's not telling you what you want to hear. Most girls don't want to be accosted by horny guys on the street, they just want to get on with their day without being propositioned and entertaining your BS. Based on your responses you seem like the type who won't take no for an answer.

Ok so you don't believe it's the time or place and you like to speak for other girls by assuming they don't like being propositioned by horny guys. I take it you don't actually have an answer to the question?

• Talking to me in public like that is a BAD IDEA because often I'm just not in the mood.

Really? you'd pass up on meeting a guy... a potential boyfriend in fact, just because you're not in the mood?

Lol you ask how to approach girls and what to talk about with them girls. I gave you two different advices. Not my fault if you can't read between the lines AND have a serious fake problem

I don't want to read between your lines. Nothing you said has been even remotely helpful

• Do not, I repeat, do not tell "damn girl" or anything along those lines at her. That is so degrading and will not get you anywhere with most women. Just be respectful and try and strike up a conversation with her

• Just be like "Yo! What's your name?" And I'll immediately like you.

Is this sarcasm? I actually can't tell given your age

• You need to create a situation where you can talk. Just going up to a guy or girl starting a conversation is extremely difficult. The best you can say is I my name is blank I'd like to get to know you

• Ask for directions maybe?

• Hi, I'm pretty lonely, may I have your number? Act a little feminine.

• He can't.

• -Give her a rose, tell her you've been observing her and that you've been wanting to give this to her.

- straight out just ask for a date

• Give a nice friendly smile. And say hi.

• Just say hi with a nice genuine smile and proceed from there I think lol (but definitely don't approach from behind)
    Tbh I'd love it if guys approached me in person even if I've never seen you before but so long as you have good intentions…
    Maybe I'm too naive but I gave my number to a guy who asked me out at the ballet (but then he called me and wanted to sleep with me right away and I was like WTF no way? - so learned my lesson there? I dunno)
    But I usually love going to the park with a book or something and I'd love it if someone struck a conversation ☺️
    I was trying to take a picture of something the other day and a guy asked me if I got my picture alright from behind and I totally got startled and dropped my phone! lol he seemed nice and apologetic afterwards but I lost my picture lol… plus I think he felt shitty that he freaked me out and kinda scuttled off.
    Anyway I guess it depends on the girl but mostly a harmless hi or something relevant to what a person is doing is an easy opening… if the person seems friendly and open you can proceed… if the person seems skittish then back off…
    I also had a guy randomly compliment me on my eyes in a train and I was weary of him first but he was so excited and had such positive energy that soon I felt safer with him… soon he asked me to join him for pizza and I would've but I was with family 😂

• It depends, if its a guy I have never laid eyes on before I would be a bit weary. If it was a guy I see regularly but don't know, and we have both 'noticed' each other I would be more open to it. Just never approach a girl from behind or if she has not noticed you or looks like she doesn't want to be bothered. Try and catch her eye, smile and try and assess if she is open to being approached first. I had a guy approach me from behind out of no where on a busy street recently and I was not expecting it so I probably came off as incredibly rude by saying "sorry" and carried on walking when he told me he just wanted to tell me I looked nice... he may have been genuine but for all I know he could have just been trying to sell me something.