Girls: How to politely turn down a girl when I am straight?

I don't mean to offend in my question, but I am a straight girl, and I've nearly been asked out by a another girl before. I freaked out internally a little because I didn't want to be like, "sorry, I'm straight", and I didn't have a boyfriend and didn't wanna lie about it, especially since she didn't deserve it. So I was just wondering of how I should do it?

Most Helpful Girl

• There's nothing wrong with you telling a girl you're straight; it's not an insult, it's just telling her that you're not into dating girls. If you just tell her "no, sorry" she'll be left without an answer as to why you turned her down and may take it personally. If that feels too blunt for you, try saying "Sorry, I don't swing that way" or "I play for the other team".

Thanks, I guess it does seem a little blunt for me. But you're right that just saying "no, sorry" would be more hurtful. I guess I want to respond in a way that isn't blunt or hurtful, but doesn't make seem like I'm making a joke of it.

I understand your concerns. As a bisexual woman, I can assure you that using your sexuality as an explaination nor using a euphemism will come off as joking or rude. :)

That really helps, thank you.

What Guys Said 6

• "Sorry I'm straight" is a fine response. It's not like you would be saying "Eww, get away from me you creep!" Your first idea of a response is a good one and polite too.

That's true, thank you.

• "Sorry I don't swing that way"

That also came to mind, but I figured it probably sounded rude.

Not rude at all

• Say you are straight.

• "sorry i´m straight" xD this isn´t offensive at all.

i mean if i asked a girl out and she´s like "sorry i´m gay" then i´d be like "oh ok"
      i don´t feel hurt, cause there´s no way on earth she would have liked me or any other guy for that matter.

Aw, it's very sad when you put it that way :(

yeah it´s indeed very sad that your feelings have no right to be reciprocated at all :(

• Tell her you're straight. What's the big deal

• Just tell her you're straight.

What Girls Said 5

• Honestly... most bi or lesbian females if they know your straight know most likely there going to be rejected.. but in the small off chance why not try.. but in the offsense if she doesn't your know your straight.. still im sorry but Im strictly dickly and have tried before and not my thing but it is flattering

• Discuss it over wine and cuddles with her

• You say sorry I'm straight. That's all there is to it, there's nothing wrong or offensive about it. If you're straight tell her you're straight.

• tell her you're seeing a guy

I've always considered this (and I thought a lot of people agreed) a rude way to turn anyone down unless it's true though. Maybe I'd do it if they were acting rude, but if they've been polite in asking me, there's no reason to lie or be rude in response.

best way not to do that is not leading her in so you can talk about guys, make some comments
      she won't try to hit on you if she thinks you're into guys 😊

It was a stranger at an annual gathering, so I assume I won't see her again. But that's another thing, I'm not the type to talk much about guys. I keep to myself about these things. But all of the responses on here make me realize I'm overthinking things. Saying "Sorry, I have a boyfriend" or "Sorry, I'm straight" seem to be perfectly fine responses. Thank you for your replies :)

• What you could say is "Im straight, but Im flattered" that way you are telling the truth and being nice to her about the rejection.

That's true, thank you