What does seeing someone exclusively mean to you?

Is it dating? Would you call them your girlfriend/boyfriend and tell your friends about it?

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't do exclusive and I make a point not to hide that from women at any point, but if I suddenly got the urge to I would make sure to mark my territory and hope that she would do the same. You can't really help feeling sexual attraction to other people. That's nature, but the emotional attachment you're describing should be openly defined between a couple for the world to see.

i dont think we're making it very open for the world to see

thanks for being so nice and for the advice! I know it's not the end of the world but i know it's going to be really hard and i don't know how i'd handle it. I'll try to talk to him, I hope he feels the same and will be nice about it :/

I wish you luck.

Most Helpful Girl

• If you Both have Talked it over, and a Title such as "Exclusive" has Come up, you could be in the Stages of Dating, then Mating. It doesn't Mean Official until you both have slapped on another 'Title' that Means "Official," and with this, means In a Relationship, which is More Serious.
    However, being 'Exclusive' could be that you are Past the Dating stage but are more like a Couple who are Not going Anywhere Anytime soon with Anything Too "Serious" when it Comes to a Relationship, but this is Called then An... Understanding Pact you have Between one Another until Further Notice.
    Good luck and Great question. xx

Oh I see. Thank you for your opinion that's actually what I was looking for I guess. I want something serious and this isn't something temporary or an understanding pact for me cos we're "not going anywhere" kind of thing.
      Would it be stupid if I tried to talk to him about it again? Because I don't want to push things but I do want to know if we're on the same page. I don't even know how to talk about it because I also just want to let it flow and I'm scared that talking about it will ruin that. I'm probably making it more complicated than it should be but if he meant something like "i won't fuck anyone else but i don't want anything serious with you" i'll just get really hurt because i have feelings for him and I'm considering him my boyfriend already and not just a exclusive fuck buddy or whatever lol (sorry i'm awful at talking i hope i made sense)

Thank you for the Like, hun. xx

Thank you for the Vote of Confidence, hun. xx

What Guys Said 14

• I only date exclusively to me that's normal and the only way to do it if you ain't just with one person then you ain't datin.

• It doesn't necessarily mean 'official/tell everyone'. It means 'only you' basically. It's generally meant as boyfriend/girlfriend though.

yeah that makes sense to where we are now i guess

Yeah, I guess it could range from dating only you to boyfriend/girlfriend.

• Being exclusive...

• Yes to everything you said.

He hasn't said the word girlfriend though. He has a radio show and he mentioned something I said and he said "A friend told me the other day..." and I saw a post he made on reddit and he also said "a friend" in the sentence lol i'm flattered to also be his mate but we're also more than that

Well, for professional reasons, he may have to not say girlfriend. You see, when people have the illusions that a celebrity is available, they continue to be interested in the celebrity. Once the celebrity is known to not be available, a certain fraction of the listening/viewing audience will drop off. This is a significant reason that DJs, musicians, and actors 1) don't wear wedding rings, etc., and 2) never change their professional names once they are married (and usually don't use their real LEGAL names anyway). So, if your boyfriend is some type of celebrity like a DJ, then it will be a habit of his as part of his job to not say girlfriend.

He's not really a celebrity but I just realized after what you said that he might have not said girlfriend because it would make it very personal and since he has loyal listeners he'd have to explain and tell them about it and etc. Since we're new he might been careful about that? I don't know. I've told my family and friends because I couldn't help myself and I was just happy about it. I think too much into things wow

• Well, it depends. Are both of you single, for example? Are both of you open to a relationship?

There are so many permutations here!

For some reason we never talked about it, being in a relationship or anything. I guess because we were just letting things happen and we're both shy/reserved. It took me a while to have the guts to ask him what was happening between us because I thought he just saw me as friends with benefits or something like that.

I asked him "What are we doing?" very awkwardly lol and he said "I like you a lot and I like hanging out with you, would you like us to be exclusive" and I said I'd like that. Later that day I went to his facebook and I realized he took out his Single status from the front page and I checked his About and it was showing "No relationship info to show" and I changed mine as well. So yeah, not single anymore, and only seeing each other.

That's true. I'm not actually scared of being in a committed relationship because of how it will affect my plans and everything but I'm not used to having feelings for someone and I feel vulnerable and scared of getting hurt

Yes, I 'm not surprised, since YOU had to be the one to bring up defining the relationship.

• It means that they are your long term girlfriend and you aren't with anyone else romantically or physically. It is like marriage, but without the legal stuff or paper certificate.

I'm so insecure I still find it hard to believe he'd said he likes me and that we're actually dating now

Just be happy about it and don't question his intentions and he'll be happy with you too.

Well I've always been questions his intentions, not to him but still. Should def stop doing that then :/

• Girlfriend/boyfriend. Exclusivity is in essence is you taking something serious which usually leads to you being exclusively theirs.

• Your generation has such strange practices about dating. Why are you afraid to call it that?

• Making it official with each other, not seeing anyone else.

• lots of times it just means sexually exclusive... especially with girls that are head cases... that's my experience.

Wouldn't you make it clear it's just sex though? Why lead someone on like that?

I'm just moved out to a new country and I could be going to parties, getting to know people have sex with everyone but I don't want anyone, I just want him and to spend time with him. And it's so weird because I've never care before, i'd hook up with who i wanted and party and I wouldn't mind being single at all. I don't need him or depend on him but I want him to stick around and choose me. All I can hope is that I'm enough and the feeling is mutual I guess.

i think you have a good attitude about it... but don't wait around... live your life and don't be blind to new opportunities. :)

• Not really sure what you're asking here. If you are dating you should be exclusive to them. Exclusivity is when you only do sexual/romantic acts with one person for a certain period of time.

What do you mean for a certain period of time?

@lovelym Like, you could say "I was exclusive to my girlfriend while I was dating her" and that means that the "certain period of time" is the period of time when you were tating her.

• No shit if not move on

• It means that she thinks hers is the only vagina I am boning.

• I am in this situation right now. This was her asking. No labels, but monogamous during this "testing phase". I feel like she wants a relationship without having to do any of the work that comes with having a relationship. She still tells all her friends about me. Yet I am not officially a boyfriend. She seems like she is getting ready to go those extra couple inches to seal the deal, then backs off. I don't blame her. Right now she can do absolutely as she pleases and does not have to factor my needs into her life. You get it all with this setup.. security in knowing they are locked up.. but none of the stuff that comes with having to maintain an official relationship. I got suckerd!

^^^THIS. exactly... a girl wants to tie you up while making up her mind lol
      yep, they may even introduce you to their friends, spend all their time with you... but have occassional back off freak outs, etc... it's not optimal, but it's kind of a fun carnival ride for a spell lol. best thing to do is start talking to as many other girls as possible and when she changes gears again (ie goes unexclusive in behavior-behavior, mind you, or tells you to back off) you jump onto another girl.. the first one will be 10x more interested if you do.

Well, maybe he is allowing you the space to label this thing? Maybe he is scared he would scare you off if he asked about a full blown relationship? I ask because I learned the hard way it is best to let women bring that one up. Maybe he is that way? Talk to him about it.

I see where you're coming from, i just wish i wasn't always too scared to talk about things like this. I'm always sacred i'll fuck it up. maybe i'll just give it some time since it's very recent and if he doesn't say anything i'll try to bring it up...

What Girls Said 4

• I wouldn't say that he's my boyfriend and i'm he's girlfriend, but he's interested in me (and so am I), so we're working together to be in a long term relationship.

• Only dating one person, while you are the only person they are dating, monogamous dating.

• We're only dating and fucking each other and do everything together and probably living together.

We haven't put it on facebook or anything though, I haven't met his friends yet and it's quite new. I'm so nervous about it, i'm not used to this

Good luck. Make sure you meet people he knows and you're being introduced properly.

• maybe friends with benefits , well it depends on the situation? how did it happen , if a guy wants to be in a relationship he would put as a label and say i want you to be my girlfriend.

He said he likes me and likes spending time with me and he was the one who mentioned being exclusive. I thought he wanted to be just friends with benefits, but he changed his facebook status and it's not single anymore. I thought he just wants to take it slow because so do I. I'm confused because if he just wanted sex and nothing serious why would he say to us to be exclusive and don't mention that?

ask him what is he really looking for with you? be honest you don't want to be lead on.
      if a guy mind games you he's def insecure and doesn't know what he want in life
      guys do it just to get in the pants , play hard to get
      remember you are beautiful , love yourself before others girl :)