How honest are you on dating apps/websites?

- Do you list any possibly negative traits of yours in the description?
- How representative are your pics of you?
- Do you exaggerate on certain stuff and make it sound better than it actually is?
etc.

Or are you one of those who has only one pic and no description at all?

Most Helpful Girl

• I have TWO pics that I use for any and all social media. They're 3 years old, but still accurate. I just don't like my hair in photos, ever. The hinge of my glasses tears out my bangs, but only on one side, so I've always got a mini frizzafro going on over there unless I've showered within he last half hour.

I put up very basic surface information, explain my frustration at how "no one ever reads these things", say to just message me and get to know me, then I throw in a quip about how I don't want kids, because I can never eat a whole one, and then I list off the most interesting hobbies I partake of.

Then I wait to see how many of them message me asking the exact same damn basic surface information that I have posted publicly, just to get past the awkward parts so they can ask for sex.

After that, it comes down to how many of the serious ones will ask me how many kids I have (0), which only confirms they didn't see the cannibal joke.

Fact is, if you don't notice the dark humor comments that I hide in my "about me", and appreciate them, we're not going to get along anyway because we will clash in personality...

Most Helpful Guy

• I have never lied about myself on any dating site. However, that does not mean that I have disclosed any of my negative characteristics. On a dating profile, I am trying to sell myself and any woman perusing profiles on a dating site knows that. She also knows that I have some negative features that she will discover if/when she dates me. Withholding information is not the equivalent of lying unless there is an affirmative obligation to disclose such information, and there is no such obligation on a dating site.

What Girls Said 67

• I guess you could say that I'm very honest.
    I use pics from my fb as I believe the 'dating app' or tinder links to that. Most of those I've had as my profile pic at one point on gag so none of that snap chat filter shit that can obscure your actual features so much, it's difficult to tell if you have a nose, are white/black/Hispanic, etc..

My write up says that I just want to chat basically so.. Also pretty honest?

• I'm pretty authentic about every part of me on my dating profile. The way I see it, I'm not selling myself; I'm not gonna bend the truth to make myself look more desirable. I'm gonna put out my real actual self, quirks and all, and if a guy likes it, great. If he doesn't, then it wouldn't have worked anyway.

• I'm pretty honest on my dating profile. When I had mine up (I'm sort of seeing someone now) I had several pictures including a full body one (clothed) and a good description of my positive traits. I don't think it's good on a dating site to list negative traits. That's something that can be discussed with a person if the time comes and they want to date you. I'm sure negative traits will rear their head at some point. I think if a person really wants to be honest, they can bring it up. But it can be a detriment to list them on the profile.

Most people take a quick look and automatically dismiss people before they get to know them. It's an unfortunate reality of online dating.

• I've never used a dating site... but I imagine throwing all ue bas qualities out there to begin with would b the best way to go... then u kno if ur actually going to b compatible or not...
    And pictures... of course I would pick my faves, but I wouldn't pick deceiving ones that don't even look like me. Lol

haha, some people put pictures from like 10 years ago, mostly on Tinder tho 😂😂

• I think I'm honest but I definitely don't list all my negatives. Some things are private and personal and I'm not going to put it out there for everyone to see without getting to know me first. No one is perfect :) I try to get a different bunch of pics that each represents aspects of me. And no, I don't exaggerate. Met my boyfriend on Tinder and I had a description and everything. That was the only dating app I actually liked.

• Honestly I've never used one, even though people (back when I was single) begged me to. But on all of my social media or anywhere where you can see my face you are getting the authentic me. I'm not special nor fancy enough to really be quite so impressive that people assume I'm making shit up. Lol.

• I am on One Reputable dating site, @Yumix. I have used it for years. I have had a lot of Success with it.
    Whatever Info I have Given on my own Profile even here, dear, Followers/Following who Only who can See it, for I have Set my Private settings, is what I have Written to be True because I Want them to know Who I am and What has been Going on in my own Life.
    Good luck and Great question, Thanks for Sharing. xx

• When I was single and using dating apps and websites, I was pretty honest. I didn't list "negative" things about myself - you want to put you best foot forward- but I didn't make it out like I was more into something than I actually am, which a lot of people do on dating sites, and I used most good but candid pictures not staged perfect selfies.

• I don't use dating apps. I have in the past and no I didn't plaster my profile with everything that is wrong with me, my pics are of me. You can see them on my GAG profile. And if guys think that's not what I look like in person then that's their problem. At the end of the day I don't like dating sites, I won't use them anymore and I'm straight up done with dating anyway.

forever single now? :P

Then please accept my apology, I clearly read into it far too much. Not difficult here on gag I must admit.

eh okay good ✌️ :P

• When I did use tinder (2 or 3 years ago):
    I didn't really include a lengthy bio because no one reads them on tinder to begin with. Chatting on there, I was honest if they wanted to know anything.
    Pics were honest. Full body, maybe one selfie.
    Didn't exaggerate. I wasn't really looking for anything so there was no need to try to impress people.

• I don't use them, except for tinder but even that is just when for boredom or if I wanna laugh at the desperation of some of the people on there, I'd never ever actually meet up with one of those.. 😂

• I don't put much effort into one. I have found that most guys don't read them. And there's really no beneficial reason to mention flaws. Our differences is what is most endearing. As far as pictures, I deliberately post many head shots and on full body. If someone asksed me for more full body, I deleted and blocked those. I answered only emails that said, you didn't finish your profile, or it doesn't say much about you. This shows me they like what they see enough to know more about me.

I have to ask why that would be (that you only answer those types) if I responded I would tell her something I noticed or had questions about from her profile or ask some totally unrelated question but would never respond to a profile I didn't read

@Borginborg
      I only answer those because I get inundated with msgs about my looks, or the classic, "Hey beautiful." I dont like answering msgs about having similar hobbies or open ended questions. I like that someone read my half profile and focused on wanting to know more about me, as a person. Given there is enough attraction, I reply. And my reply is rare, but my tactic always finds me the guy I date for a long time. It also helps to know exactly what you are looking for and know how to avoid the players and emotionally unavailable. Whatever I'm doing works for me, I guess.

Good tactics :)

• I dont really use dating sites but in the past when i was on okcupid i was very honest. I hated having a pic up tho cuz i mostly wanted to creep for hot guys without being identified if im being honest.

But really it never even occured to me that people would lie on their profile. I know catfishing is a thing but i assumed the majority were actually looling for people

• I thought Facebook was a dating app o. o? anyways I be honest I have nothing to hide but where I live where I go to school things that can get me kidnap or harm I try to leave out

• Honest

^-^ #1! Feels good to be back on top!

I try to be as honest as possible. However, sometimes things change over time. Thus, my view or opinion changes.

For example, used to hate steroids. I won't do them, but no longer judge or "eww" when people admit that they use them. So long as they do so properly.

I also am aggressive, extremely from time to time, so I might "act" dominant. Just a brat trying to find a dom suitable enough to put me in my place. ;)

Try to be 100% honest. If I catch myself saying something untrue, will correct ASAP.

Should mention, made a tinder. Had it for a few hours, was on it for maybe 10 min total and uninstalled. This was 2015, early in the year.

Besides that, haven't been on one since 2011. Don't see the need.

• I don't use dating apps.

• Never had a dating profile but when I got into my current relationship I laid out all the bad from the very start in order to warn him of exactly what he was getting into and give him a chance to back out without repercussion lol I prefer to be up front, else why waste time on something you know won't last, unless that is your intention?

• Mmm I would probably just put pictures, but heck, I'm definitely not the dating app type of girl.
    My friend made me do an account last year, I kept on sweeping for an hour and none interested me. I can't like a "profile"... I need much more haha

it's really just to get a convo started... and based on that you decide if you like him enough or not to give it a try. the profile is just to raise interest.

I can't even get a convo started with the profile, I don't know most profiles are too generic anyways :x

• I'm pretty honest when it comes to these kinda websites. I use original photos of me and honest descriptions of my traits. whether they were positive of negative.

• I'd say I'm honestly verbally... visually not really. I post things id put on social media, not my normal day to day look but if I do go out with them I've been as glammed up as on the photos so there was no confusion.

I'm not online dating anymore. I tried it a few times to see what it was like and I'd rather stick with real life.

• I haven't used one before

• Never been on a dating website.

• I've never actually used one

• No, and I never will.

• I am who i am.

• I have a okc account and I think I was quite honest. I actually took the time out to write a description and I have several pictures up. And not just of my face lol.

• I'm honest, but I don't list my negatives. I don't exaggerate, and my pic is a good representation of myself. However, I stopped doing online dating. I was always approached by major douches, and guys who were way to old for me.

• I don't use dating apps/websites.
    I tried Tinder once for shits and gigs, but I decided in like the first 10 minutes that it wasn't for me lol. Never again.

• I've never used a dating app

• I put some pics
    and yes they are representative
    no description
    that was only on tinder
    didn t do anthng else

• More from Girls
    37

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Guys Said 57

• You should always be honest but never give too much details to begin with for it to matter.

• No, bad idea to lie. Think of it like a resume. It's okay to embellish and exaggerate a little bit to show you are confident and happy to be who you are, but don't straight up lie about facts. If you're 5'8" then just put that, putting 5'10" will just let her know you're an insecure liar the first time she sees you.

As far as pics, less is more. 2, 3 at the most. One pick of your full body where she can easily see your body size\type, one picture where you are doing something fun like a hobby, and one close up preferably where you are not looking directly at the camera.

• Unless your a guy whos 7 in looks at least, then there's no point or you will either struggle and like hell and might have to settle for scraps that the alpha males don't want... which makes it even more pointless, especially tinder. If your using tinder, to succeed on it you need to be born with model looks and good genetics am sorry to say becuase it only benefits the alpha males (top 20%). 80% of females are whoring with the top 20% males whereas the bottom 20% females are rejected by them, it's how female hypergamy works. Women are self entitled and think they deserve a alpha male so treat the rest of other men like disposable utilites, this is why MGTOW exists.

Although if your using other dating sites the same thing applies except you can use money to your advantage and display status in your photographs which is only useful to guy below 7 in rating in looks. You can have an empty profile if you have model looks or high status job with lots of money an be successful, whereas an average guy could have an interesting profile with interesting photos and women just never reply.

Guys be honest with your selves we all know women are prostitutes, the only difference is how much their charging you for sex, whether it's money or some kind of other currency.

• Haven't had much success online honestly on dating web sites.

It is marketing of yourself. my photos are honest, but I got some professional ones made. I do not list negative things anymore than Pepsi and Coke list how terrible their products are.
    I don't exxagerate as don't need to, but then again... I've not had much success with women responding so I don't know what really works for fembots.

• I can't believe how many people on here never used a dating site before. I have been dating sites for years because of my situation where I have an established life but not that many friends or a big office/company to choose from.
    A lot of the time, people flake out or they lie on their profiles. I have even had dates that and never heard from them again afterwards. I have gotten people's numbers and they never want to start the conversation- just you start it always. I have even been stood up. Don't let that get you down though.

My blurb is three things about me and what I am looking for. I'm pretty sure girls don't always read it all either so I put in something that would entice them at the end of it if they are interested. Like "the most private thing I am willing to admit" or "why to message me" sections.

I have at least 6 pics that I update periodically. Some I still keep but date them so they know what I looked like then.

But all and all, it's a journey, and you might find that special person out of the many that ditch you, and the few that you " click" with.

P. S- tinder in not a dating site unless your looking for a "date" with many hook ups and you don't have to pay them. Let's just be honest about that. You might as well be a sophisticated jiggalo/prostitute without a pimp or mistress.

• If I find myself on a dating site, I am 100% honest. Masterfully lying can in theory increase my chances of getting a girl, but it all falls apart as soon as she discovers who and what I am. So better I have little to no prospects of meeting someone there, but on the off chance that I do, they will have wanted to meet me for the actual truth.

• I'm invisible on dating websites. Literally. I don't have a pic or a description or even a name.

So that's fairly accurate I suppose.

• when I used them I had elaborate descriptions listing positive and negative traits with numerous up to date pics. I believe that it is better to take the guess work out of it and I would rather spend my time with an actual possible match rather than someone who leaves when they find out I jam for 36 hours straight every second weekend with the boys and won't return texts calls or emails while I am doing so.

• Yes, I try to be honest about anything. To hide your beliefs means that you are afraid of being ignored. If i believe something and I'm certain about it, definitely I share it honestly. About my pics, age and other simple things I do the same. But i avoid sharing information which hurts my security.

• I played around on OkCupid for a bit , poked around , nothing particularly interesting. Those questions tho.
    http://i.imgur.com/dKsCbow.jpg

• I took honest pictures and talked to people honestly. So I'd say 95%+

• No dating apps on my phone or tablet, and you won't see me on dating websites.

• totally honest... thus why when I hooked up with a girl she became my girlfriend as neither of us lied-we were honest up front so when we met the same chemistry existed if not got better

I DID actually lie about my income (i said i made much less than i did) to weed out entitled gold digging sluts :)

• I use actual pictures of myself, and my profile description is accurate. However, I won't use my real name.

I suppose omission could be a form of lying, but keep in mind that when it comes to dating you're competing with other people. So you may omit some things and embellish others. The thing about embellishment though is that something has to be there in the first place to be exaggerated on - so there is some degree of truth to it.

• I'm as candid as can be

• Match. com now owns OkCupid, which means way more data sharing. Match. com itself is owned by IAC/InterActiveCorp, which owns more than 50 companies and websites including CitySearch. com, CollegeHumor. com, Puddle of Fish, Ask. com, Vimeo. com, Chemistry. com, and UrbanSpoon. com.

It's mostly Bullshit with any dating site , as they really don't want you to find a match as you would stop using their app. Instead they would rather randomly throw people at you to keep you on the site. More time on app = more $$$

of course bot's, fake profiles, those are part of online dating apps, more user's = more $$$

It's all greed

• Not honest at all. It's just a waste of time. No matter how honest you are and how much you write on your profile and how long your message is, women never reply to you. Not even a "Im not interested". It makes you think why the hell women are on dating sites if they don't use them.
    Whenever I go online I do it to troll women.

• I am! Not that I'll tell confidential things about myself but saying wrong things or trolling is not at all me. I like open chats :D

• One time i met up with a black dude when it was supposed to be an Asian girl.
    People need to be carefull, so many catfish liars.
    On Another day it was a some 250-300 pound girl and i was expecting a "curvy" white girl!.. But she was sweet so i stayed with her and i was nice to her. And she's still my friend but please never lie about who you are!!
    There will always be someone for you to match, thats what dating sites do!

• I'm not into dating apps/sites.
    I just meet people in the real world lol

• unless you're a 7/10+ you're basically fucked on a dating site so I never bothered.

• i don´t "exaggerate" but i´m not lying. although i won´t boast the things i think are bad about me right on the front page xD i will tell them in conversation, when is think it fits.

• I dont know I think write something that still have gap in people view, so I wish
    they find something about me in conversation.
    But I dont want to pay for it so I just see some of people unclearly.

• I'm quite honest. All photos are of me and a couple show my body. I'm honest about my height, what I do, and what I like

• Nah
    Very representative
    Yea. Baha but it's kinda true

My tinder bio is "Tall jacked athletic, nfl bound. Hmu" baha

• I always list my 2 negatives and don't tell all the good things about myself, so if someone did choose me, they will be happy with their choice.

• There is some great information about how to craft the perfect dating profile online, I would highly highly recommend you look it up.

Source: I got 50+ dates off Tinder back in the day =P

it's not really about myself, just curious in general. I'm on some apps but not really looking for anything specific

@10dsw Can you share the link or send it via PM please?

@YellowCactus I would just google search it tbh, there will be several good sources right there. That's where I got my info from hehe

• I'm very honest (probably too honest), but also fairly nonspecific in my descriptions. I'm finding, however, that many people misrepresent themselves a little bit.

• I tell both positive and negative and am honest as I can be because I don't see the point of lying and I find lying a waste of time

• I've never been on any of those. If I was I would be honest. Why lie about that?

• More from Guys
    27