Would you date a cheapskate?

Maybe that special someone:

- use the public library for Internet services and electricity
- collect water from public drinking fountains
- ride a bike every day as the primary transportation
- refuse to go to the usual date venues, like movie theaters and restaurants
- cheap date venue: the park
- cheap date idea: a picnic in the park
- refuse to wear jewelry, perfume, make-up, brand names, or anything outfit that is priced more than $5 (women)
- refuse to buy engagement rings / may use a plastic ring or an inherited engagement ring
- may hold a very simple wedding for the two families
- may earn a sufficient middle-class income, but the frugal lifestyle suggests simplicity and poverty
- extremely thrifty on food purchases
- the ultimate bargain hunter
- may keep some spare change in a piggy bank
- eat a balanced, nutritious diet for a dollar a day per person
- wash clothes in the laundry room, but dry clothes outside
- reuse plastic bags from grocery stores to store stuff
- reuse plastic containers from grocery stores to store food
- keep a recycling bin and a trash bin

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Guy

• Very little of your list is what I would characterize as being a cheapskate. Lots of it is simply environmentally conscious. Not allowing yourself to be suckered into brands is smart, not cheap. The only thing that gave me pause was the extreme thrift on food. I'm a foodie and I love to cook with awesome ingredients, do fine dining, and I don't eat crap. So that might make me incompatible with such a person. But the rest of it is rather sensible.

I would hope this person spends her money on *something* she's passionate about. There is nothing endearing about being frugal for its own sake.

To me, a cheapskate is someone who wouldn't tip in a restaurant or attend a wedding and not bring a gift.

I didn't vote because the choices were too rigid. It would depend on the stuff I said above.

Actually, it is possible to eat healthy on an extremely low budget. On the Dollar Tree store, you can buy a 2-pound bag of white long-grain rice, a bag of egg noodles, a bag of dried beans, and a bag of frozen vegetables. Each costs a dollar and can last about 2-3 days per person. 4 dollars may be spent for each 3 days. In about 30 days or 1 month, only $40 will be spent in a month on food per person. If meat is cheap (usually poultry or eggs come cheap), then the person can add meat into the plant-based diet. But poultry and eggs are not always on sale, so the person may be forced to be vegan for some time. In addition, the person may cut living expenses by living in the car and using a bike to travel to local places. Being frugal like that may allow the person to spend some money on purchasing old farmland and fulfilling his/her dream of bringing back more native flora and fauna species to the environment.

I guess I implied that all cheap food is bad for you. You're right, I acknowledge you can eat healthy and cheaply. I just wouldn't want to eat rice and beans every day. I'm too into culinary stuff (sometimes splurging on ingredients) to want to date someone who only ate for nourishment. It's something that's important in my life and I would want to share that with my love interest. :) The farmland idea sounds cool!

The cheap food idea is not my own. I credit the idea to Brothers Green Eats.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiSg6lwIItU
      The guy is not a vegetarian, so it's kind of funny how he thanks the Lord (probably metaphorically) that he can eat chicken on this budget. No one likes to be forced on a vegan diet, and veganism is not cheap or sustainable long-term. Vegetarianism may be more sustainable as a lifelong lifestyle.

Most Helpful Girl

• So... I do a lot of these. Thrift shop? Heck yes. Especially jewelry. You get nice real jewelry for cheap. Ebay is my best friend for those things. My favorite pair of boots and leather jacket were both on sale for a ridiculous amount. I have spare change and just dollars is odd places just because. I am super cheap for myself but will spend a load on others. It's kinda weird.

What Guys Said 17

• Most of them are not necessarily a 'cheapskate' thing to do. It just shows that she is very conservative and smart in using everything that's provided to the fullest advantage.

You need wives who save resources and think of clever and smart ways to solve problems. Promise you.

• Tell me more about this diet for $1 a day...

• I'm not drinking fountain water and I'm not giving up my home wifi or electricity. The rest aren't deal breakers.

• What is she saving the money for then?
    She skimps not only on daily life but even on the important things , even Scrooge McDuck is not this stingy.

• You call it "cheapskate" I call it "low maintenance girl" . Although some of the thing you list is nonsensical, like drying clothes outside? What?

If she willing to compromise on some of her "lifestyle" choices, I could work with that.

• Yeah, I would. I would avoid any woman who had a problem with any of those. I don't do all of them, but any chick who looks down on someone for being "cheap" is not somebody I want to associate with.

• Wtf keeps a recycling bin and a trash bin? This is now a cutoff for dating and relationships?

I don't know how I made my relationship work... around here we legally have to keep both a recycling bin and trash bin

• Depends, well h how do you think the rich stay rich, they don't throw that money away. But I don't know she might make me pay for everything!!😅😂

• Well that's extremely cheap, I wouldn't mind them being frugal but that's extreme

• a lot of these are good ideas but at a point I'm working hard and got a good education to spend my money aventually I got to draw the line and say WE ARE GOING OUT! let me introduce you to lazer tag!

• It wouldn't matter much to me as long as she eats healthy foods
    i like picnic settings for dates , never been on one but would love to
    I have a beautiful city park that makes a great place to have a date.

• well i would not date a person that throws away money for no reason.

• Some of those are good, but some are not to me.

• Sure, but I don't live that lifestyle and she had better be alright with that.

• A lot of these are useful for the planet lol

• i would

• Yes i would, once the sex is good

What Girls Said 16

• No way my father is very generous when it comes to money and that's what I'm used to. I will never marry a cheapskate because that will embarass me.

• many of those things you listed are normal and respectable but the few that weren't normal went over the line causing me to say no

• Nope, I already had a similar experience long ago. In the end, you get tired of putting more effort for so little in return.

At the same time, I wouldn't want someone wasting their money for everything. That means they'll have debts at some point. I don't want neither of those extremes.

A balanced individual that saves their money for important things but doesn't mind spoiling his/her partner every now and then is the right way.

• Okay keeping a recycling bin is not being a cheapskate... it is for helping the environment. I reuse plastic bags from the supermarket. I could not handle dating someone who does the majority of this stuff. I want to do fun things and go out and enjoy myself. I pride myself on saving my money and not being frivolous, but this crosses the line for me.

• Aside from collecting water from a public fountain. (That's weird) all the other examples are totally fine, And the the date ideas are more romantic than a more costly one.

• I have dated "cheapskates" that were super cheap with themselves but very
    generous with me, which I always declined to accept anyway.

Like one man I dated wanted his two dollars change back from a cab driver.
    Another freaked when I put two of his own teabags in his tea, instead of one.

+ I did date a well known artist in the cbd who electric-biked everywhere & never owned a car.

• I'm almost like that just I need WiFi lol

• It's what a person does that I find attractive and not what's in their wallet!

• That's some outrageous shit! Does this person actually exist? I do reuse store containers though if they are durable.

• no i wouldn't

• If someone's gonna go crazy like this with being so cheap then I'm not dating them

• I would date a smart man who knows how to his handle money... not Mr. Krabs!

• Best type

• Not very, I'm not cheap

• For respond honestly, no, I would not. It just sound like a pain in the ass for me. Too much rules, etc... This will become annoying quickly

• While I admire frugality and not letting things go to waste, that sounds a bit intense. Like it consumes way too much of that person's thoughts and time. I wonder if such a person knows how to relax? Might be too much for me.