Is it shallow for a guy to not date a guy who is depressed and has sucidel thoughts?

If the girl gets help and seems committed to her own health then I don't see a problem.

Most Helpful Guy

• in my opinion, anyone who is at that level is not ready for a romantic relationship with anyone. A relationship requires both people to have strength, to make an effort, and to be able to give and sacrifice at times. You're probably not mentally prepared to do that right now - which is understandable. I wouldn't expect to take someone with a broken leg skiing or mountain biking either.

You need to work on healing those injuries (even though they are mental/emotional, they're no less real than a broken bone or a huge cut) before you're healthy enough to date. Remember too that expecting him to deal with your depression and so forth is essentially like expecting him to do surgery to repair a badly broken bone - he's not a doctor, and not equipped or prepared to deal with that.

You need professional help for a while, and until you've had it for a while, and healed to the point that you are much more healthy mentally/emotionally, the right thing to do is to NOT date.

Most Helpful Girl

• I hope she gets help. But no, it isn't shallow. Getting into relationships like that can be rough. Its not anyones job to be their partners full emotional support.

What Guys Said 2

• I dont think its shallow. It is something that adds another layer of difficulty to the relationship. Besides, most girls wouldn't want to date a guy who is depressed. Are they shallow too?

• No, it isn't shallow. Other people have no obligation to be your emotional support and if a guy decides that it's too much for and not worth the effort, then that is perfectly reasonable.

What Girls Said 2

• No. Some people just don't have the emotional energy or fortitude to deal with other people's illnesses and that's okay

• No. It is difficult to be in a relationship with someone who is going through really tough times. It's not shallow of him although I do see how it could seem to be. Possibly it is just very stressful and emotionally draining for him. It's his choice either way and his reasons for doing it could be shallow but they could also just be very personal.