Does owning a car make any difference to whether you see a guy as a dating material?

Of course when you are young in school it makes no difference but does it make a difference when you are older?

I have personally noticed that girls hate to admit that it's something they like, but they do secretly like it. Of course not every girl is the same so anyone with different opinions?

• I like it
  • Makes no difference

Most Helpful Girl

• I live in the country, so unless the guy lives close to me then he would need to have a car. I have no problem driving to see him, I also have my own car. But I've been in several situations where a guy decides he's just going to have me drive him around everywhere or have me come to him all the time. It means a lot to me to have a person who is willing to meet up with me. Someone who will drive to me because they know it's important that I see them.

It can be really tiring and costly to be the one always driving.

Most Helpful Guy

• Yeah it does man. This is where women will try to rationale away this requirement as some deeper meaning. No use trying to make sense of it. If you don't have access to a car and you're out of HS, you're not dating. No dude with a bus pass is getting laid.

What Girls Said 24

• It's more of a matter of convenience especially if you live in a place where having a car is vital to getting around. If you don't live in a place where the subway trains, taxis and buses run every 10 minutes, your travel time to get from point A to B can be increased by 30 minutes or more. If you want to go somewhere with the person you're dating, spending an hour on a bus can really kill the romantic vibe. It makes dating exceptionally difficult because you depend on your date or a third party to get you where you need to be. It's difficult being alone and being intimate with each other if only one or neither of you have a car. So yes, I would prefer to date a guy who is independent and free to roam in his own vehicle.

• Having a car makes you independent. I can't date a man that does not have that. I would feel like he's with me because he has to. I have worked really hard and sacrificed a lot to have one and a man that does not have one needs to get there on his own. Back in my early 20's I was undateble due to not having a car. I was thankful for that.

• Being a downtown girl I couldn't give two shits tbh 🙄

• I don't care about cars. My boyfriend doesn't own a car and it works out fine for us.

• It definitely makes it easier to visit and get around :) I don't demand it though-I don't have a car. So, it's like a perk :)

• I wouldn't date a man who didn't have a car, i would see him as a bum. i dont know any educated, intelligent successful men in their late 20s and beyond who are carless.

I don't have a car. I have epilepsy, so I'm legally prohibited from driving. Would you still see me as a worthless bum for not having a car?

@SinghSong that's different man.

There's a difference between not being able to own one for health reasons and one for being too lazy.

• Completely depends on where you live. If I lived in new York City where public transportation is pretty good and you can walk to most places you need, wouldn't care at all, I'd prefer he had his license though. Where I live at the moment though, public transport is awful, so if you don't have a car, you can't really do anything or go anywhere. So I would probably judge him a bit on that, I don't want to be driving him around everywhere like his mother.

• Depends.
    If you live in an urban area, you don't really need a car. So it wouldn't be a bad thing if that were the case.
    But if he lived in a rural or suburban area, it would be a little concerning. Thats how everyone gets around.

• I'm okay if he doesn't own a car. We can use public transportation.
    But if he does own one, then it's a plus.

• Doesn't matter to me. But if he has a car, I would not want it to be expensive. I don't want to live in luxury.

Strange.

How expensive.

Like a Ferrari expensive or Mercedes expensive.

I just have a different view on life, which might be strange to some. I don't want the biggest or most expensive car, as it needs so much fuel. I choose my bike over my car.

I'd rather see a guy drive in an electric car of no car at all, than in a huge one that pollutes the earth with stinking gas.

My man and I own a Suzuki. Monthly extremely cheap. 50 euros every month, gas included.

• I don't just like it. It's a fucking requirement

• It doesn't matter for me

• Not for me because I Don't know how he got the money for the car

• Around my age now it makes no difference to me. If I'm much older than I probably would.

• It wouldn't matter but future goals are important.

• It does. It doesn't even have to be a nice car. I have a modest car that I am so grateful for.. But yeah I mean I wouldn't date a guy who doesn't have one, but he better have a plan cause I'm not driving everywhere!

• Sure, if i am materialisticlly shallow like that

I will have to add tho that he must have a job and no felonies as the very least.

• Doesn't make me more/less attracted to him, but yeah it's a nice perk.

• No. If it did I wouldn't like some guys that I have liked.

• It does, like I have no car he must have one if not we ll never be able to see each other.

• One time it made no difference if a guy lived a humble life , but now I view things differently.

The people I've known who live a humble life, who've bettered their life, change and look down on more humble people. So now, if he isn't on the same level as me , financially and intellectually, I won't date him

• I cycle everywhere does that make a difference to you?

• Not really. It's just a bonus if he does. I imagine people who live in places that aren't as easy to travel around without a car would see it differently. Where I am, it is often actually easier to use public transport.

• I'd like to know he isn't a basement dweller who can't have a social life because mommy won't drive him everywhere.

It isn't the car, so much as the independence the car represents.

What Guys Said 8

• This is one of the topics in my opinion, that women will say one thing, but mean another.

Many girls will say "it doesn't matter"... when we all know damn well that a guy having a car, is way more of an advantage and more opportune for fun, than a guy without one.

Exactly

But to be honest there are exceptions.

If you live in central London it doesn't matter at all for the girls here. If you live in the outskirts it definitely matters to them.

I'm thinking about my home country (United States ).

Because how this country was founded and slowly expanded over the following decades combined with the current size of the country , there is no centralized transportation that is reliable in most cities.

A car is damn near essential here

• I think it depends. If she's a city girl and rarely gets out of town. Don't think it'll make too much of a difference.
    Driving a car in a city is pretty much paying to get stuck in traffic.
    If say she's someone who appreciate a bit of outdoorsy adventure , a car would let you go places much easier. Sure as hell beats paying $25 to get on a GreyHound.

• Anyone without a license is making poor choices in my opinion haha. Even if the girl can't drive it might get annoying, esp if she lives far away and gotta always be the one commuting.

• Man 😔 I'm probably gonna be lonely a long time. I can't even drive, let alone own a car

• You're 22 man, unless you live in NYC and get by on public transport, you should have a car. It shows you have your life together at minimum

I live in London and still have a car

London has a better public transport

• Well why wouldn't they like it.

When it comes to life. Having a car is fucking useful yea.

• How can we fuck without a car?

• Makes no difference