Should a gamer give up gaming in order to get a relationship?

Or should I just hold out until I find someone who enjoys gaming, too?

I play World of Warcraft, but if I gave it up, I could get back to drawing and writing...

Most Helpful Girl

• You should never give up something you enjoy for a reason like that. You shouldn't be dating someone that can't accept you anyways. There's always room for improvement but no one should have to change themselves for someone else. Anything you do should be in moderation.. you can game, draw, and write.. you just have to make time for each of them. I know it's difficult.. because when I started gaming I stopped writing and drawing as well, but I try to set aside certain times or days of the week for other things. There are plenty of girls that love gaming, just wait for the right girl. I've never gotten into a relationship because I was trying to find someone, it has always happened naturally. Stopping gaming isn't going to cause girls to fall into your lap.

Most Helpful Guy

• Get back to drawing and writing in your free time instead!
    you will have more to show for it and other people will appreciate it more Im a lot more interested when an old friend shows an impressive bit of artwork than if i find they where in the top guild on a game. much better to create as a hobby than to shoot zombies and kill npcs and do a mix of repetitive tasks!
    Unless you some how make real money playing them which is near impossible do something more creative join a art or writing group or something?

What Girls Said 27

• You shouldn't have to stop gaming unless you play far too much, its taking over your life. As long as its not an addition, you should be okay. Just find somebody you have in common with, even if its a different game. However make sure that you don't neglect your partner as well.

• Why would you need to give it up? Unless you just sit there and game all day long without doing anything else then I don't see the problem or why you would ever need to give it up. I still play, my dad still plays, my grandmother sits on her coffee table playing super nintendo lol. Have fun!

• No, you shouldn't give up things that are a big part of your life or identity in order to get into or stay in a relationship. However, if you game constantly, to the point where you're not making time for other people, then it's a big problem and you need to scale it back.

• Nope. Moderation is key, gotta balance the time between hobbies and spending time with your partner. It's fun to date a gamer whilst being a gamer though because then you get to do both :P

• No. You shouldn't have to give up video games if you enjoy them! Heck, I love video games and I've been in a relationship for two years. I think it's good in moderation. It's healthy to have other hobbies and interest too. Get back into drawing and writing if it's what you enjoy. Meet new people and socialize a little. Plenty of people enjoy video games and you could even find someone to bond about it with! :) Just keep it to a healthy moderation. Good luck. :)

• Nope. Get a gamer girlfriend! Don't change who you are just to find someone who wouldn't let you, be you!

• Yes, slow down with the gaming. Everything in moderation allows for new and exciting things to enter your life.

• As long as he's still spending time with me, I don't mind it. I like some video games too, just not MMORPGs :/

• You're 35?

Hmmm... If games are preventing you from going outside and meeting new people (I know gamers who have normal lives and girlfriends... and they never saw gaming as a problem because it's not an addiction to them)...

You do the math.

I've dated and been in a relationship... but finding gamers is tough.

Then why do you think gaming is the problem now?
      (How long ago was that longest relatinship? )

Because it's my main hobby now, and women my age tend to look down on gamers unless they play also.

• Um I'm not giving up wow and either should you.

Do you play Horde or Alliance?

I was alliance for most of the game... switched to horde a few years ago to play with RL friends, but now I'm split in legion... my vanilla pally is horde and my druid (also from vanilla) is alliance, on different servers.

Ah well WoW has gotten way better and you should stick playing to it. But I don't get the people who go crazy and play for hours then their level 100 with nothing to do. Saw a guy on a wow video commenting that.

• Here's the thing... Most girls have no problem with gamers per de but rather with the image of gamers. So if you are more of a regular guy (has friends, dresses well, in decent shape, goes out of the house ) who happens to like gaming, you might get in a relationship. If you seem like a stereotypical gamer, it will be harder.

^^ this x 100000000000

Vin Diesel is a big WoW player. You think that's a problem for him? lol.

• You don't have to give it up. Just make sure it doesn't consume your life to the point that it gets in the way of a relationship.

• be with someone who doesn't mind your hobbies. I don't watch sports but I understand my man's gonna watch every single game and bet on them too. what's the difference? just be respectful and don't ignore her when she's over

• I wouldn't say give up gaming, but just play less will do. Get a life outside experience all kind of things should be the priority above gaming

I've done a lot in my life... been a trucker all over the country, performed in theatre, visited a lot of places (as a tourist, not a trucker)...

It's not like I've holed myself up all my life.

why is it hard? like do u feel nervous if u wanna start talking to them? i would suggest u use google and try to find solutions to improve ur ease to speak xD

Aspie = Aspergers Syndrome... Like high functioning autism. I tend to lecture people about my obsessions.

• You don't have to give it up. I don't like when people say you need to sacrifice things you love just for a relationship. That's not good. You can play less and make equal time for gaming, a relationship and work and whatever else you do, but you don't need to give it up entirely. That's a part of you and you shouldn't have to do that. Just less.

• Eventually you're going to need to grow up and let the games go. You're not going to find anyone if you stay playing video games all day. You're missing your chance to get out in the world and meet someone who could potentially be your soul mate.

You could choose the second option, but I wouldn't. The one thing you'd have in common is that you both are gamers, and that could possibly be the only thing you'd have in common which would make for a very sad relationship.

I'm an Aspie (Aspergers Syndrome) as well as having Kallmann Syndrome (hormone disorder), so I've never been able to relate well to women my age. That's why finding a fellow geek is my best chance for love.

I've only had one relationship (2.5 years, long distance), but we were religiously incompatible in the end.

I have a good paying job, my own car paid off, and an apartment, so it's not like I'm living in my parent's basement playing games all day. It's just my way of unwinding.

• NEVER! You just find someone who likes gaming too.

• My husband is a gamer and it drove a wedge between us. Balance is necessary. Do not give up what you like to do to find someone. Just do your thing and you will find someone who will either tolerate it, enjoy it, or you never want to do anything than to be with them.

• no way man, I love video games and I play with/against my boyfriend all the time!!!

• Take some breaks, a break of one month or two months.

• You must NEVER give up gaming

• You don't have to give up something that you like doing maybe just play less in other to have time to meet new people

• Fuck no. My boyfriend is a gamer and I'm not.

• No, Do whatever pleases you, Eventually love will find you

• My boyfriends a gamer and I'm the complete opposite but some how we found each other. If you really enjoy drawing/writing then go for it but don't just do that to find someone. Only do it if it's something you really have your heart set on.

I only mentioned the writing and drawing because I used to do that constantly growing up and in my teens. Once I discovered MMOs through EverQuest, that slowly took over as my hobby.

• You could reduce your gaming by an hour or so and use the time to draw/write.

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Guys Said 39

• Just try and see if you can find a single lady out there locally that have the same interests as you and have a lot in common with. Try and see if you can find another single lady locally that also plays or at least had played WoW, and also enjoys drawing and writing.

Just learn to balance everything with proper Time Management and Set Realistic Goals.

• Hold on till you find someone that enjoys gaming with you or someone who doesn't mind you gaming (just ensure that you aren't obsessed with gaming so much that you take the relationship at convenience)

• Game it up. Don't give up something as fun and awesome as gaming for a woman.

You don't even need a woman who is into gaming. Just a woman who respects you and your hobby and always comes when you yell "BABE, COME QUICK! CHECK OUT THIS FUCKING SCRUB WHO THINKS HE'S ON MY LEVEL!!!" and says " You showed him, babe." and gives you a kiss after you establish your male dominance over said scrub in front of your woman.

Don't forget how big the gaming industry is now. A lot of women are fine with it even if it's not personally their thing.

Just remember to make time for her too and she won't give a shit if you game if she's a good woman.

• Gaming doesn't prevent you getting a relationship. It's all about balance, you can't let it take over your life. You can raid mythic and still have a job, go out with friends, have a girlfriend, go to the gym, go on vacation etc. Just have the willpower to step outside.

• Everything in moderation! I love gaming too, but I know that I can play the games any time I like, but I can only see my girlfriend when we have free time. I would love to go straight home and play Overwatch, but it's a beautiful afternoon and winter will be here before you know it, so I am going to go for a bike ride while I still can.

• Fuck that shit dude game as much as you want, if someone doesn't want to be with you for simply gaming, your going for the wrong ones. Whatever you do to keep you busy and entertained should be no concern of others, if gaming was such a crime to do then everyone who likes to entertain them selves in any manor of way should be ashamed of their self.

Some women think that it shows a lack of maturity, I guess. I have a good job and I have my own car and apartment... so it's not like I'm living in my parent's basement.

"some" these are the real immature ones. A real woman couldn't give two shits about how you choose to entertain yourself. If anything i'd say it's more immature judging people on how they amuse their self.

• Don't change yourself for other people. Find someone you're compatible with instead of changing yourself to suit someone's preference.

• There are PLENTY of guys that game, that have social lives and active dating lives.

Gigantic untrue stereotype. I'm very much a gamer, and have an active social life and girls like me!

I'm pretty much on there whenever I'm not sleeping or at work, though.

It's my social life.

Oh trust me, I know all about video games being a social hub!

But u have to balance that out with socializing in real life. :-D

• Whats the point drawing and writing?
    If gaming is somehow the sole reason for you not asking out girls, then sure if you're more into a relationship.
    Switching one hobby for another doesn't seem like it's going to help though.

Also you don't need to find someone who likes gaming, I've dated girls that smoke pot quite a bit, I don't smoke it at all.
      If you're trying to narrow yourself to that, you may be waiting quite a while.

I used to be a prolific writer and artist until I discovered EverQuest, and now 16 years later, I hardly do either anymore.

• Hell no, not in my opinion. Gaming> relationships. You are better off just staying single. There's only 24 hours in a day, not enough time to do both unless you just want to be a mediocre gamer and have a relationship you are better off without (worthwhile ones take time and effort).

• nope, your video games will always be there when you want them, a woman and a relationship with one won't.

• If you game so much that it's interfering with your ability to meet new people and attend social events, then yes, it's time to change your ways...

• No. Never give up something you enjoy for a bitch.

Unless that thing you enjoy is cocaine. Then you should probably give it up even if it's not for a bitch.

• lol no. there are many girls out there who are okay with gamers and play themselves, just choose a girl with the same interests.

• I don't know man. I've dated some seriously hot girls in the past who were perfectly happy to play games all day. One of them sucked at games, but would be happy to sit on my lap and watch me play for hours.

• no way, get your interest close to you and your relationship closer
    just decide where you wanna put more effort tho

• Gaming no,
    World of Warcraft yes

• Nah you find another gamer or someone who can live with it

• Find someone who likes gaming

• Gotta go out to find tail, but no don't give up dating to find a girl.

Gotta make efforts outside of it though.

• Yes, absolutely. You're wasting your life away. I'm not saying it's bad, it's just a waste. Make yourself awesome, expand your horizons, take up some exciting hobbies.
    It's scary you're 35 and don't know how to 'get a relationship'. Wow.

I've had a long term relationship, but it was long distance. I'm an aspie, so it's not easy for me to go out and talk to women I don't know.

• Give up - no
    Adjust playtimes - yes

• nope

• WoW went to crap long ago. Severe the cord!

• No just make sure it doesn't consume all your time. But it would be ideal if you found a gamer girl.

• Instead of giving up gaming find yourself a girlfriend who is a gamer, too. So you can have both and enjoy both.

• I am a gamer and I had good relationships bruh. Gaming has nothing to do about having a chick.

• People should not try to force their so out of hobbies in my opinion

• My girlfriend and I are both gamers.

• More from Guys
    9