Is it lame to confess to someone via text/social media?

I don't like doing this, but I guess I have no other option. I like my co-worker a lot but I'm not sure if he finds me attractive as well. We're only acquaintances, but we used to go to same highschool 10 years ago. We always greet each other with a smile and we sometimes have a small talk when we bumped into each other at work. I see him maybe once a day because we're in different departments and neither he or I are ever alone. Even if it would happen for us the be alone, I pretty much sure that I don't have the guts to ask him out like that face to face, I'm too shy. And he would probably take it friendly anyway.
So I'm thinking of doing it through facebook. I am ready to get rejected, to make it awkward and for the whole company to know about it - but I don't care. I feel like I'm wasting time just thinking about it, that I should freaking do something! There's this amazing guy and if I keep waiting for god knows what to happen I'll lose my opportunity. I will never know if I don't try, right? I just don't know if I should bluntly put in the message that I like him or be a bit subtle and ask him out?
I guess I could just call out to him next time I see him at work, move aside from others and do it in person, but I think that would be even more awkward?
How would you like to get approached?

Most Helpful Guy

• This is a common subject. People always ask questions about getting together with co-workers, or even worse, Bosses.

This is a terrible idea.

Why?

Because, everyone will talk about this. No, you cannot keep it a secret. Everyone knows "who's doing who". People can see the subtle looks, body language, etc. People will talk about you, in some cases, negatively, because they know it isn't cool.

If the 2 parties are overt in their relationship, it creates a nonprofessional environment, which can lead to difficulties with the bosses.

If it IS a boss, then problems with the next level of management may occur. Rumors are worse. "Look who's sleeping themselves upward".. on and on.

THEN, if the relationship fails. What then? Well, the talk gets worse. The two parties themselves may talk poorly about the other person. Rumors are started. True or false, a bad environment ensues.

Nothing good becomes of this.

Most Helpful Girl

• No I don't think so.

My other half did. I was in a very weird place and he wanted to tell me but not be hurt and not for me to be uncomfortable. So he broke it to me as a joke. We went shopping and it was Christmas time. It was the light turn on. So we agreed we would split up. He sent me a message which just said "if I don't make this out alive, tell my wife I love you"

What Guys Said 7

• If you jump on FB and ask him it won't be the same as asking him in his face. He would love to hear that to his face, but be sure he doesn't think your desperate. So I say flirt with him and get him to flirt back. Then joking throw it out. I should of screwed you in High School. Wink wink! What's up? Your single?

• not lame, just cowardly

• -_________- lame as fuck

• Kinda... just shows the wrong things.

• because of my past I would assume a joke or playing truth or dare

• Kind of, but it's also common in our time.

• tell him in person

What Girls Said 2