Would you rather date someone you already know or someone you don't know that well?

Someone you already know doesn't just mean a person you've known a long time, but someone you may have consistent contact with. A co-worker, friend of a friend, etc. You may not know a lot about them but enough to know you want to get to know them better and would go on a date with them, possibly even like them.

For someone you don't know well that could mean a person who is virtually a stranger, a blind date, someone you see sometimes but don't really talk to, etc.

• Someone you already know
  • Someone you don't know that well
  • Other

Most Helpful Guy

• Definitely someone I already know. The only girl I've dated I knew for several months and usually talked to her a couple times a week and we hung out a few times as just friends before we started dating. We apparently had both been crushing on each other for a while but neither of us admitted our feelings for quite a while. However getting to know each other gradually made the comfort level rise and made it much easier to eventually transition into a romantic relationship.

I will say though, the downside to getting to know the person as a friend or acquaintance before dating is that if the relationship doesn't work out you not only lose your gf/bf, but you likely can't go back to being just friends and the person is most likely out of your life for good.

Most Helpful Girl

• Someone I don't know that well because I can't think of anyone I know really well who I would be compatible with in that sense.

What Guys Said 14

• If you date a co-worker or someone who you know from church, from a social group, etc., when the relationship ends, there is a possibility that things will be very tense at your workplace, church, etc. . . . but dating someone you already know gives you a higher probability of compatibility, since you already some things about them and there will be maybe 3-4 fewer surprises about their character/personality.

• DAMN, these answers kinda reveal that men and women cannot be "just friends" and if given the chance, it can always develop into something more.

• I can pretty much speak for all guys and say that dating someone you already know and like is much more preferable than a random stranger.

You already know what their interests and hobbies are, and most of all, you are comfortable around them.

• I started dating my wife and i didn't know her at all.. I met her at a shinedown concert. It was sheer chance that i met her. Our tickets were right next to each other. We were talking and well it lead to dating and eventually to marriage. Honestly i prefer it like that.

• Remember everyone... dating IS the process of getting to get to know someone!

I always found the "I don't know him" excuse my women to be such a wack and misguided cop-out to not date someone. So stupid.

Question: I hung out with a guy twice. We just met, didn't know him at all. The second time he was extremely touchy feely, very clingy, kept trying to kiss me every two seconds, etc. It made me nervous and I avoided him the rest of the week. When I told him, he said he had the best time ever with me those two nights and was getting used to me being there. He got pissed and snapped on me when I said I didn't like him like that, how could I when we hung out twice and I didn't know him well, and he said I wasn't trying hard enough.

That was my experience dating someone I didn't know. Is that normal?

He was a stage 5 clinger, u made a good choice bailing on him.

That's not normal at all. :-/

• When you know a person it is better to relate with them. This allows you to talk to them , to know them , to understand them or even to touch or feel them. You know what they like and dislike , how they behave , what they wear. Sometimes you know what makes them happy. You may know what are their hobbies and passions. There are more advantages when you know the person at least a little. i love the ones whom I know as compared to a stranger.

• Preferably someone I know

• Aren't they all someone who already know? Haha

• Honestly at this point in my life, if an attractive young woman with similar interests, hobbies, worldview and a personality to match were to accept a date or more with me, i would not care if we knew each other long or not.

• I'd rather date someone I already know.

• Dating strangers doesn't appeal to me.

• Either or. I just want me a black girl

• With those options I guess someone I know would be better

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 8

• I would rather date someone I already know, unless he was a co-worker. Because if we broke up, I would have to see him everyday. And things would get weird between us.
    Plus, I don't like the idea of going to a blind date.

• I would prefer someone I know... but the problem is I don't know someone I fancy... its always someone who I don't know... so I chose someone I don't know.

• Someone I was good friends with

• Someone I already know

• Someone I know

• I only date people I know

• Umm in order for you to date someone, you have to know them.

• interesting question! i would have expected more guys to go for "someone you don't know that well"

I don't see why you would think that.

With random strangers, guys have to put effort getting to know them. But with someone you know, you likely already know their interests, hobbies, and are comfortable being around them.

@MrNameless true but somehow it seemed to me that guys are rather more excited about new girls than those they have known for longer already

The key is comfort. Thing how much anxiety you get trying to date someone you just met for the first time or don't know much about. I would think people would want friendships first before dating to see how that person is for the long term more accurately, rather than just first impressions.