Enlighten me, is it different when you say "I'm dating someone" with "I have a boyfriend"?

So if you go to date with the same guy/girl for several times, you even kiss and keep things going on for months, do you not call him/her your boyfriend/girlfriend? Or do we need specific line to make them our SO, like "would you be my bf" or "would you be my gf" kind of thing? I thought once you go on a date with someone for more than 3 times, and decided to keep things going on, you'll consider him/her your boyfriend/girlfriend, no?

Most Helpful Guy

• Dating is when you date. A boyfriend is a dude you like enough to have a continuous relationship with

Most Helpful Girl

• No.
    I don't think that just because you have been exclusive to each other, in anyway means that you are both boyfriend and girlfriend.

An example, my friends named Lucy* (changed) was seeing this guy named Bobby*(changed), so they ended up dating, a nd staying exclusive to each other. a year passes, (maybe it was just him being a dick) but Valentines Day comes around the corner, and Lucy expects Bobby to take her out for Valentines Day. one day, she asks him where he is taking her for valentines day, and he said " haha what are you talking about, you're not my girlfriend. You're staying home tonight."

And, lets just say that, that was the last conversation that they had together.

So, personally, I think that not having a label can complicate things

ohhh I see. Thanks, now I get it.

What Guys Said 10

• Boyfriend/Girlfriend means it's oficial and you're willing to tell anyone that you're seeing someone special.
    Dating is when you're seeing someone, but it either isn't serious or it is, but nothing is oficial, your parents haven't been introduced to him/her, most people dont know about it, etc

Going on dates a few times means nothing. Multiple times the person is seeing 3 different men/women at the same time. Until it's oficial, it means nothing in terms of a relationship.

• It really depends on the individuals themselves. Sometimes you just know and other times you need to ask them. Going on a date and sharing intimate time together is completely different. I would say once feelings beyond sexual attraction kick in that you could say it's official. It really depends.

• Ey if thats how you do it then sure, if you start going out with someone im pretty sure its ovious that our a candidate for their SO

• Definitely. Lots of people date multiple people at the same time, it leaves more of an opening for someone to keep trying to go on a date with the girl.
    Boyfriend = committed relationship.

• Dating is different thank boyfriend and girlfriend, yes. The latter is a relationship, the former is the phase of getting to know someone before the relationship.

• You're probably right as long as both intend for it to be like that bf/gf. When there is an admission of love they are then your significant other, i. e. boyfriend. Before then it can be cut at any time.

• Yep. One says you're casually dating, the other says you're serious about him and not looking around.

• the difference is boyfriend and gfs fornicate on regular schedules.

• Dating = casual

B/f / g/f = exclusive / had relationship talk

• You call it dating when you aren't sure yet

What Girls Said 8

• You need to make it official. Never assume. Also make sure that you understand the terms of what they are looking for and expecting out of this relationship, BEFORE you say those words. In this case, yes, saying that your dating someone is different then saying you have a bf/gf. Because the later just says that you have a dating partner at the moment but not exclusively dating. It doesn't matter if its even 10 dates, if you don't make it official anything can go on or somebody could be dating multiple people at once.

• If I was dating a guy then I'd be hoping it would develop into a long- term relationship.

Some people date multiple people at the same time, they don't call it a relationship until they decide to be in a long-. term committed relationship

If I'm dating a guy then all my focus and attention would be on him only. I'd never consider seeing other guys at the same time.

• Unless Otherwise Stated, nothing that has been Etched in Stone as in Mating... Both of you are still Dating.
    To be In a Real Relationship, things would Need to be Discussed so you know where you Stand with your Man.
    Good luck. xx

• I'm dating someone usually means that they are seeing someone but it might not be serious.
    I have a boyfriend, now that is serious because you labeled them. That's what I think, but everyone can be different.

• Typically it doesn't work like that. In my case we went on a couple of dates and then one day he referred to us as a couple, which confused me. I asked if we were in a relationship and he said ''yes, I'd like to think we are. I didn't want to say anything because I thought you didn't like labels''. I told him I have no issues with labels and it was confirmed that we were official.

You can never really assume in these situations and my boyfriend was lucky I was on the same page as me or it would have been very awkward lol.

• Yeah. I have a boyfriend means you're committed, but "dating " doesn't mean a thing to me, you could be dating 10 Persons at the same time. It's about meeting/ getting to know someone.

• You should ask him if you guys are just dating or if it's a relationship. I think this is why sometimes we get hurt because guys may confuse us.
    I don't think it would be a relationship since he hasn't asked you to be his girlfriend. Maybe he was too shy to even say it. He probably wants to have fun. Who knows?
    The best way is to ask him.

• For me I'm dating someone means I'm exclusively dating them. I have a boyfriend means that they are my boyfriend.