Is it true that if you date someone who's been in love or married they will always compare you to them?

Serious question. Up there^

Most Helpful Guy

• It is partially true. If someone has been married and they truly and utterly loved the other person they'd been with before you then it is quite possible they will continue to compare you to them, because what they really want is to have their original companion back.

What Guys Said 15

• It may happen, indeed

• Probably.

• If that person is a douche then yes. If they are already over their ex then they wouldn't compare you to that person.

• Depends.
    I was a Chevy guy for a long long time. Had a Tahoe and really liked that truck but, it started giving me a lot of problems and it had to go. Tried a Dodge Ram because I liked the newer body style, it was overrated. Came a cross a great Ford and am very happy with it. Do I compare it to the Chevy?

Well, it's hard to compare a '96 Chevy Tahoe 2WD to a '12 Ford F150 King Ranch 4X4. Some would say that is a very unfair comparison since they are such different vehicles.

But, between you and me, the F150 has a better transmission/rear end and I love the warm luxurious interior so I would never ever go back to the Tahoe.

• I still use my first as a yardstick for everyone after her and that was 27 years ago. Wasn't married to her and didn't even get to fuck her, but none will measure up until I can get some DNA and clone her. Sucks that tech for humans isn't perfected yet.

• Yes, it's likely, it's also unavoidable once you're over 25 so just hope they compare you favorably to their ex (es).

• if someone is using an ex flame as a benchmark, then they aren't over them.

• That's why some people look for virgins. For everybody else it's a matter of ignorance and denial.

• Not necessarily. Nice people don't do this. If your boyfriend is comparing you unfavorably to someone he previously dated, ask him to stop. If he doesn't, then dump him for someone nicer.

• Yes. They will compare you at your worst to the ex at THEIR best. You will always come up short.

• well yeah why wouldn't they.

• No. Not unless they're super crappy people.

• Yeaa maybe they would compare

• Yes. I always think that when I meet someone new.

• Yes, it's no different to how men and women will compare their current spouses to their previous one's or the latest casual sex partner to any previous one's.

What Girls Said 5

• not if you tell them not to and if they do you give them such a hard time that they never do it again

• I believe that the human brain is meant to only fall in "true" love once. But I think that "true" love only happens when you meet the person you are meant to be with forever. So even you think you have been in love, you'll never know if it was love until you die.

• You mean secretly? Or to your face? After my divorce I rarely compared and only because I knew more what red flags to
    look for. Never to a guys face. Guys would often ask me to compare them to my ex and then I would answer any specific questions. Comparing fades with time once you are her new guy.

• Yes, every one gets compared some way or another. No it's not always because they want to but is just happens. And not because they want to make you feel bad (unless that's what they are trying to do)

• yes.