My boyfriend didn't do anything for my birthday?

To be more specific, we've been together for a year and 4 months. I hope this doesn't sound materialistic. But for birthdays, holidays, etc. I get so excited thinking of the things I'll do for him. I'll clean the house, get him expensive gifts, take him out to eat, and think of somewhere cool to spend the day. For Christmas I bought him a $160 gaming keyboard, a $40 Walking Dead Risk game, and a 3 lb bag of crab chips online. (He's from Maryland) he got me a $40 phone card and some buttons online that were a few cents each. The only presents under the tree was from me to him. For his last birthday, I bought him a $500 TV, a $200 tattoo, and I took him to a nice resteraunt and I took him to a hiking trail with castle ruins out of town. My birthday was yesterday. I will point out the fact that he is unemployed, but he's been unemployed for a couple months (this has happened before many occasions) and I never feel he puts forth much effort to actually get a new one. If I lost my job and his birthday was coming up, I'd be applying to places everyday until I found one. Anyway, he didn't get me anything or do anything for my birthday. We went to a Sorority Noise concert which was awesome, but /I/ paid for our tickets AND his friend's ticket, and because I did that, I wasn't able to get T-shirt which I was so excited for. And my boyfriend loves them just as much as I, so it's hard to tell if he went for me, or for himself. It's not even the objects I care about, just the effort and thought, you know? And to top it off, my family was going to throw a party for me (my grandpa and I usually combine our birthdays) BUT, since they already did one for him, they pretty much decided 'why would we do another party?' So, I was REALLY depending on him. I used to get so excited for special occasions but I no longer do because I know there will be no surprises or anything to look foward to other than his reactions to what I do for him. I love him, I really do.

Most Helpful Guy

• Dude, the hell did i do to you to have to read all that? Shorter next time please, an to give my 2 cents, only an honestly conversatio n about your problems will fix anything

Most Helpful Girl

• you HAVE to teach him that your LOVE LANGUAGE is gift giving and for him to KNOW that it is ok to give you a gift even if he MADE it because some times things that are MADE are more special than store bought. I know what you mean though. My husband doesn't get me anything for valentines, anniversaries or birthdays or mother's day. It bothers me and makes me angry because I get him something. He just needs to realize it that it's my language of love. look up the 5 love languages. He should know yours and you should know his. I think that my husband made a note of it this year and he is going to go and get me something for my real birthday *not the one on gag*.

What Guys Said 3

• Poor girl I would have flown you to a place of your choice. That's how I role

• I'm sorry to hear that.

• birthdays are ridiculous. your birth date has no significance to the world.

But it has significance to other people in their life... that's why you get gifts from loved ones and not the world.

What Girls Said 2

• You clearly have a huge difference in how you perceive the importance of gifts/celebrations. It isn't that unusal for people to not really care about birthdays or gifts. My parents have been hapily married for 40 years and never really celebrated birthdays or got Christmas gifts for each other.

Give your boyfriend a chance by letting him know exactly what you expect on your birthday or Christmas. Set a budget for gifts and be reasonable. You shouldn't spend a ton of money on him if you know he could never afford the same for you. Tell him that he should cook you dinner or make you a cake or invite your friends over.

• Did he wish you happy birthday or tell you anything that would show his celebration for you?