How many people here are doing online dating? And what are your thoughts about it or about dating in general?

I am curious to know how many people out there are doing online dating and if so, what sites do you like/dislike and why. Also, please feel free to share any other thoughts you have about online dating or dating in general.

I think this information may be beneficial to other people on this site so I hope you share. If you do share, please provide a general (but specific enough to be helpful to others) description of your age, gender, geographical location and what your goal is dating wise (a relationship, marriage, hook-up, two adults having a monogamous sexual relationship with no other commitment, etc).

Less information will not be considered more information... at least with this thread. Please feel free to say whatever. :)

617

Most Helpful Guy

• Been using it for years. I've met a lot of women off there but never got a relationship from it. Finding one where the interest was mutual in that case was tough.

I had a very messed up situation recently happen. This girl I met that I clicked with the most, not to put her on a pedestal, invited me to her place and before we had sex, I found an empty condom wrapper on her bed. I didn't say anything about it, but then she ignored me and once I tried calling her, she texted me and saying she's not interested anymore. Makes me feel like I'm paying for her mistake.

• I assume this messed up situation was with someone you met through online dating. While it is kind of messed up to find a condom wrapper in her bedroom, I would just like to say that could as likely happen with someone you met not through edating as not meeting someone through edating so...

It is interesting that you said it is hard to find interests that our mutual with someone you met through edating, especially since that is supposedly their thing. They claim they can find compatible people with you, people that have the same interests so it is interesting that this is what you think they failed at.

Do you think you have unusual interests so that is why they failed or do you think edating is bad at matching people with similar interests and that is why it failed?

And despite its failures, do you think you will continue to use online dating? And if so, do you have any advice for people that will be using online dating sites that you want to share?

• Thanks for most helpful guy.

• Are you currently using online dating sites?

Most Helpful Girl

• I used to a lot as even though I'm 23 so should be out there I worked 2 jobs and uni so didn't have much time to go out there. It's how I met the majority of my ex's and my current boyfriend
    liked plenty of fish as it matched up people close by though they need to work on how close.
    I met my current boyfriend through there, been a year so going well :)
    really hated tinder. Most the guys just wanted sex regardless of what they put in their profiles. And even though you'd match they'd hardly talk.
    I mean it does work if you put the effort in. I mean a work friend has been with her plenty of fish match for at least 4/5 years.
    Even my dad met his now fiance think it was from ok cupid or match. com

What Guys Said 16

• If I'm out of town working, I'll jump on tinder while I'm at work, then hit up the local bars later. The local bar usually works out, tinder is hit or miss.

I tried match. com before, I found a girl I thought was awesome, after 3 weeks I found out she was still married and living with the guy in a one bedroom apartment even thought they were "separated"

Honestly meeting people in person is a million time better, online dating is really a giant waste of time in my experiences.

• I have tried it but failed 2-3 times in a row so I'm averse to doing it again. I think I'll just remain alone instead.

• I do not think you being alone is true. I think you may just be too young for edating. I think you have many opportunities in real life that will lead you to a girl you really like. If someone is in school then I think school will be a better opportunity than a online dating site will ever be.

And if girls do not find you totally hot, send them my way. I will be sure to correct them on that matter. :)

• Thank you for the kind words, ma'am.

• Craigslist is almost pure foreign scammers.
    PlentyOfFish is mostly cam girls and people looking for hook ups regardless of what their profile said.
    Udate. com doesn't exist anymore, but that is where I met my ex wife. It was a very good website (paid subscription site) for LTR.

• What about paid dating sites? Have you tried them and if so, have you noticed a difference in the caliber of matches versus what you got from PoF and Craigslist?

Is it worth to spend the money, do you think?

• I think disclosing last logged in date will be extremely helpful on any site; paid or not. :)

So I am curious why you stopped. Did you stop because you are in relationship or did you stop because you just did not think trying to date or online dating in particular was worth it? Or did you stop for some other reason?

Just wondering...

• I got married to a girl I met online. It didn't last more than a year though. I haven't tried another pay site because I had a really hard time trusting people after that relationship. Also, so many people seem to be into drugs and drinking and care more for money than people, that it seems like it would be very difficult to find someone I would actually want. I'm only an LTR kind of guy, not a hook up person, so I won't be with someone if I don't think there is real relationship potential there.

• I think meeting dates in the grocery store works out for me better than any dating site ever did!! Lol

• Why? Why do you think it is more effective to meet a woman in person than on paper for you? If you had to quantify it, what is it that makes it better?

No judgement. Just understanding. I want to give as much useful information as I can to the people that are out there looking for the most effective way to approach/date people so the more information about your experience you can share will be appreciated. :)

• I am a very 'outside the box' type person (as you can probably imagine looking at my past). I just can not be described in a box. To many facets to me.

• I think online dating is another way to catfish people easily, and it's not cheap.

I think people should go to clubs and do social activities

Sadly we live in a society that don't even know how to make a conversation when they're off their phone and living in reality.

• Too many fake profiles (mostly email harvesters/sellers even after the fake Russian women that were asking for plane ticket money to be western unioned to them mostly disappeared) and insane expectations with most of them so didn't bother after I did a few free profiles back in 2001 or so at the suggestion of a few friends. I do browse Backpage/escorts every so often (if you want to count that as a dating site). Mostly just searching for fuckbuddies in Cincinnati OH.

• I would expect with the paid dating sites there would be a decrease in scammers. Have you experienced this in the paid sites versus free sites?

• So being honest, how much recent experience have you had with a paid dating site?

• Recently nothing, it's all from the last time I made a few profiles in 2001 (had a couple relationships 2001-2005 , the last I found offline on my own before going solo from 2005 on). Recently it's 2nd hand info from friends and others and from what they are telling me it hasn't changed much in 15 years.

• Dating sites can be interesting I've met people on it before one of my past girlfriends of 3 years was met online. They can work or fail the same way as meeting someone in person.

• I think this is true. I think I would just add that dating sites gives you more opportunity to meet potential people to date than real life will. I believe that is my argument for online dating sites; more opportunities especially as one gets older in life.

• I tried one site OKcupid but I didn't get anywhere with it yet
    I messaged 10 of my top matches and got 5 polite but all uninterested responses.
    I may try bumble it sounds like a better idea for both men and women.

• Have you tried a paid site just so you could compare the difference in your experience from a non-paid site to a paid site? Just wondering...

• I quite like the idea of posting videos to make it a bit more personal though and i've been meaning to try speed dating but the only thing I found so far that was still running is about an hour and a half away 3 hours total which also puts anyone I might be dating if successful on average that far away as well.

• I think it will be interesting to hear of your experience with speed dating if and when you try it so if you do try it, please consider sharing your experience. I think others, beside myself, may like to know what you thought of it. :)

• I would date online if a girl would talk on Skype or Webcam
    I just have Pen-Pal ads from sites i join and i make romance
    profiles on them. I don't do regular dating websites or apps.

• Why have you not tried regular dating websites? What are the reasons that you have not tried it?

• Hi Winter_Storm_Guy,

Thanks for clarifying the definition of catfish for me. :)

So I understand being against edating when you have experienced more catfishing than not so I am just curious if you do not do online dating, how do you go about looking for potential dates? Have you found any helpful strategies/places that you may want to share that have been effective for you?

I think others that are apprehensive to do edating would benefit from hearing what has worked for you in real life if you care to share.

• You're welcome:) I would recommend using websites to
      see if someone is being honest with you such as www.pipl.com
      www.spokeo.com . Always watch how a person uses their body
      language and what type of language they use. As far as Internet
      dating that can be a touch and go situation I've been up against
      few online relationships that was just so stressful. This one girl
      she stopped emailing me altogether just been 5 years this August.
      Sites that i have used would say like www.Pen-palsnow.com
      https://www.interpals.net is pen-pal site that offers to look for
      romance also http://www.cheekyflirt.com ( former Intero-date)
      I been on http://www.hi5.com but few this helped little bit not
      much but you may have better luck.

• I met my wife on match. com. We've been together almost 9 years now, so it worked for us.

• haven't done it but will probably give it a try

• Why do you think you haven't tried it yet? What are your hang-ups about it, if any?

• I wouldn't call it "dating" but I meet a lot of one night stands online. Some of them have turned into regular fuck buddies. But I never go on dates with any of them.

• Just curious, do you think it is because of online dating that you have met more one night stands versus the one night stand you may meet in public? Or do you think it is just a matter of exposure? With online dating, you have met more women than you would meet in a club?

I find this surprising. I would assume more people on a online dating site, especially a paid site, would be interested in meeting someone for a relationship than a hook-up. At least that is what I would think would be the case. Especially for females. A female can just walk down the street and find a man that would sleep with her for the night so I would assume the women on a paid dating site would be more likely looking for a relationship than a hook-up. But I could totally be wrong... as often happens in my life. lol!

• Fair enough.

Just being nosey, what is that you prefer with a fuck buddy over a partner that wants to be in a relationship with you? What is the distinctions between the two that you prefer or do not prefer? Just informative; again not judging... Just want to understand...

• Not interested in any relationshit. I like draining the lizard. Otherwise I have no use for women whatsoever. Damn sure not going to put myself in any position where a woman thinks she has a claim to my house or my wallet.

• there's nothing wrong with it, but you do need to try and set a time for when you can meet in person without waiting too long or eventually someone will lose interest

• I think this is very true and something people should learn when it comes to edating. Spending too much time in communication and not meeting in real life leaves the experience in real life to be disheartening. If you only communicate virtually online or by phone, then when you actually meet face to face the harder it will be to reconcile the person in your head/fantasy with the person in front of you.

Meeting sooner than later is definitely good advice for online daters. I think.

• if your 18+ then it's fine

• Maybe. However, I think it more has to do with opportunity. I think when you are young (25 years or younger) by nature of young people, you are around young single people.

This is the greatest chance in life when this happens so I personally think, when you are young and single and all your friends are young and single then real life is much better to find a partner than edating well be. So this philosophy includes people older than 18. If I had to put an age on it, I would say this changes probably around age 25-28.

At that point, your friends are getting married and having kids and your universe of single young people shrinks and you may need to expand the universe with online dating.

It is all about opportunity. The opportunity to meet potential single partners shrinks the more you age. Fact of life, I think.

• Pof was cool but ur better off going to the club

• I met all of my FWBs online.

What Girls Said 5

• Too many guys are just clicking or swiping on any girl to get a response. If they get a response they don't try to engage in conversation or want to talk at all. Sometimes I'm tempted to put "TITS" as my header just to get a dialogue going.

Too many guys not filling out their profile or just saying "ask" which I'm not going to do because it's going to be a three word reply with no further attempt to get to know me.

Or if I do finnnnaaalllyy find a normal one that's not a catfish, they get cold feet about meeting up.

Lots of dead profiles. Lots of matches but no connection. Hookups are easy peasy but looking for something real is the equivalent of a unicorn hunt.

• I dated on guy online... didn't like it. I had trouble connecting to him when I never met him in person. Also he had this paranoia that I was cheating on him.

• I have never tried it and I am not going to try.

• Not me

• If you do not do edating and if you are looking for people to date, how do you do that? What do you think is the best strategy for finding someone you want to date that wants to date you? What would you recommend people do? :)

• im not looking for people to date i dont have that experience so I can't give advice

• Fair enough.

• I Would Never Do Online Dating Its Way Too Dangerous.