Is it ok to date an older guy?

I am 20, and I know a guy who is 28. I feel like our age difference is a lot but he is a really good person and a very good looking guy. My only problem is I am worried at the fact that he is so much older than me. Should that be a red flag to me, or is that fine?

Most Helpful Guy

• That is fine. The only problem is timing for a family should you get serious. He may be ready soon for a family where as you are still finishing school and should become established in a career. It could take you several years before you are ready for a family and he may not want to wait that long.

That Is so true! See those are things that worry me, because we are basically in different times in our lives.

Most Helpful Girl

• Well... I'm 21 and my boyfriend just turned 28. It shouldn't be a problem as long as you click and have things in common with each other.
    Though I have to say that I wouldn't want to date someone who's older than that. 6,5 years is enough for me.

Do you guys have problems because of the age difference? That is one thing that I am a bit worried about. We are essentially at different times in our lives. I am still in college and he is already working and about buy his first house...

No, not really. He's finishing up his master's and I'm finishing up my bachelor's, so we're both studying and working. I've been working since I was like 16 though.
      You being at different stages in your lives isn't necessarily a bad thing, as long as you have the same expectations and wants. As far as I'm concerned my boyfriend isn't exactly super ready to settle down yet (owning a place/marriage/kids etc) and neither am I. So it works for us.
      For just dating though, you don't need to get so ahead of yourself. There's nothing wrong with going on a few dates to see what he's like and what plans he has/what he expects in a girlfriend. If his views don't match yours, then that's it. You're maybe stressing out about things he might not even be thinking about. Going on a few dates with this guy doesn't mean you have to move into his new house immediately and marry him on the spot!

lol that is so true! Thank you so much!

What Guys Said 8

• It is completely fine, however do keep in mind that there might be some play fields of your likes and dislikes, or desires if you would, different then his own. Never limit yourself at ones age, unless of course they could be your father, then it might be asking too much

• if it's legal, it's ok.

case closed.

• You're both adults and you're no longer teen, so it should be okay

• Yes the age gap is there no doubt but it's not too much.

• The age difference is wide, but the level of maturity is probably much closer than the calendar. You are not a teenager anymore, so it really does not matter who you date or how much older your date is. Keep in mind, I am not speaking as a parent of a 20 year old daughter either. If I was the parent of a 20 yar old daughter I would have quite a different opinion. You have a justifiable reason to be worried. I would not discount that feeling.

Just my opinion

• 20f+28m is fine.

• men mature later so you are probably well matched

• Yes it is okay. There there. * Pats you on the head * Go have your fun with your guy now.

lol this made me smile

Good. I seriously do think that an age gap makes a better relationship if you want it to last.

What Girls Said 3

• Age is just a number, if you like him. Go for it

• They Is Nothing Wrong With It As Long As Its True Love.😀😊😎🙌🙌🙌👍👍👍

• 8 years? wow gross..