Did I handle this correctly or did I come on too strong?

This is a new and tricky situation for me. I've been dating this great guy for over 3 months; he explained a month ago, that he'd started taking antidepressants to which I replied that was fine. I appreciated the fact he told me and that he trusted me enough to do so. Since he started taking the medication, I've noticed the common side-effects: trouble sleeping, dizziness etc but his behaviour has been fairly normal. However, last weekend he revealed more about why he was taking the antidepressants, and they're kind of deep. He told me, that if I ever felt overwhelmed in the future and needed out, I had to tell him and he would understand if I broke it off.

I promised him I would always be honest, but said "I hope it will never come to breaking up, because I care about you and I want to learn how to understand your condition and how to handle difficult situations further down the line."

Did I say the right thing? Or did it seem too much? We've only been dating a few months, but I really like him. I've never dated anyone with depression; and I'm quite a sensitive person, and I know my own mental wellbeing comes first but I think he's worth the chance. My friend has said that creating my own "bubble" of space will help when things get tough.

What Guys Said 1

• That did sound kinf of... off.

How so?

What's done is done. What I think you need to do now is try and ease the situation.

Thanks for your feedback.

What Girls Said 2

• I don't think it was too much. Honesty is the best policy.

• He sounds like the kind of guy who needs to hear stuff like that, so I think you did say the right thing. Unless you didn't mean it, then it was wrong.