How much would you spend on a first date? Does the amount say anything about how serious you are about that person?

Had my first date with this guy on the weekend and we defintely had a spark and he said he never had a date like this, It felt like we were already a couple. So the date was the best I've ever been on but he must of spent over 200 on me and for a first date it's kind of too much. I kept offering saying it wasn't fair but he said that he asked me out on the date so he should pay.

Im curious how much would you spend especially for a first date? The most dates the average was always around 40/60. Would you spend more on a person you're trying to impress?

• 10 to 20
  • 20 to 50
  • 50 to 100
  • 100 +
  • We should spilt the bill everytime
  • Other

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't think there is a set amount that everyone should go by. I'm a big believer that the guy should pay, maybe I'm just old fashioned.
    To some people, $200 for a night out on a date might not be a big deal, to some people $50 for a night out on a date might be a big deal. I don't think it necessarily means anything, other than the guy has the money and is willing to spend it.
    That's not to say that the guy who only spends $30 on a first date doesn't have money or is cheap, it all depends.

If the first date is dinner in the city and going to a play or a concert, then the total cost will probably be higher than if the first date is mini-golf, cheeseburgers, and ice cream.

Bottom line is don't worry so much about the money end of the date. Don't feel guilty about him spending a lot of money if that's what he wants to do. Don't take it as a sign of how much he likes you, and don't assume that just because he dropped $200 on you this time that he's made of money and can afford to do it every time. Maybe he can, or maybe he just saw this as a special occasion worth splurging on.

For me personally, a first date would fall somewhere in the $40-100 range, though the best relationship I've had (also the longest) started with an under $10 "date". (We both worked in a shopping mall and took a lunch break together in the food court.)

Most Helpful Girl

• I love to know where you people on this site live because in Chicago 200 on a date is basically minimum. Once you're done paying for dinner that's about 150.00 for the average nice restaurant here and that's low in average nice restaurant. Then if you add in everything else drinks maybe after or hanging out after a date is going to cost more than that. I say don't worry about how much money someone spends on you. when you're going out the most important thing is to worry about if you have a connection with that person or if that person is going to treat you right or if you're into that person the money shouldn't even be an issue. On the first date things are kinda odd because these days I hear that a lot of people think that going dutch is the way to go but I was raised with Traditional Values and a man should Court a woman. But these days women don't act like women so things have changed but anyway I go out on a date he's always the one to pay. That's not to say that I'm not willing to pay because I'm more than willing to pay for a date if I go out with someone but I've just never dated anyone who wanted me to and if I've tried they've been upset but I like Alpha men.

What Guys Said 24

• That all depends on the person. If how much he spends on you makes a difference, that is not a woman I would ever want to be with. If money is all that matters to her she is just a gold digger. Since I date online only, when I meet someone for a drink, I have spent as little as $6 for the evening. not everyone can afford a lot. Once you start dating, you should take turns paying. But how much I spend has nothing to do with how mch I like her. It has everything to do with the fact I can't afford to spend a lot.

• I don't have the experience of dating a shallow person. I usually spend up to $50 on dates though. My first dates have included Kareoke night ($10), Skating rink ($30), and homecoming ($15).
    I am someone who will buy little gifts dates or not though, and I like fun and simple personally.
    Before I came out as a male, I've gone on dates where no money was spent on me.
    I don't see why anyone would spend any more than $50 on a first date anyway.
    Don't trust the idea of a $50 or less date? Funny thing is, I have so few relationships because since my first one at 13, I made it over the 2 year mark each time, except once when my girlfriend dumped me after 5 weeks and way over $100 spent through 3 gates and gifts. Why? I didn't want to have sex and loose my virginity until I was married and she didn't like that (she admitted to only dating me because she liked my style and wanted bragging rights between a small group of people who tried the same thing)
    luckily she was nice enough to warn be before the other 5 tried to get me in bed too...

• The very first date? I wouldn't be trying to spend more than 50 bucks or so honestly. Considering how few of the second dates will happen after that. I have spent over 400 bucks going to date a girl, that included getting a plane ticket, and I already knew her well so that was a lot different.

• You dont know how serious you are about them on a first date and it could be any number of things from not wanting to make you feel bad if he thinks your poor , not wanting you to want him for his money , the think he thinks is a good situation for a first date isn't expensive , he doesn't want to set a precedent for the relationship , or he's ever thrifty or cheap depending on how he acts on the date importantly there 2 very different things thrifty wants to get their moneys worth and not to be wasteful cheap doesn't like spending it even when its much more economic in terms of there time to do so or the money genuinely has a worthwhile impact. Thriftys a good trait cheeps definitly isn't though.

• Man I'd be weary of this dude. People like that who try to impress them with money never turn out to well. I wouldn't spend that much on a first date. What you said 40 to 60 is usual.

• You gotta fine that find that sweet spot yea.
    Too little you seem like a bastard.
    Too much and you're a weirdo who's compensating.

I'd pay for the lunch date yea. But that's like $20.
    First date is just a first date, nothing serious yea, no dude should be going out of his/her way.

• 10-20. With no guarantee of even getting a second date, I would save that behavior for when it's more serious. In my opinion what he did wasn't smart at all. But, people do pretty stupid things in the name of love. I would say not to judge him for it but keep talkin to him about it so he doesn't bankrupt himself.

• How much would I pay? As much as my own meal costs.

Sorry, but I'm not going to spend my monthly paycheck on a first date with a girl who hasn't even guarenteed a second date.

If I really liked her, that wouldn't make her any less special to me. I just can't afford to take risks like that before we're even official.

But you can bet your ass I'll spoil her when I know for sure she's a keeper.

• IF I ask somebody on a date, I'm not there to impress anyone. I'm on the date to get to KNOW somebody better and determine if they are relationship material. My goal is to see what commonalities and differences we have besides physical/sexual attraction.

• Depending on where they are going for the date, I'd say it's fair that he can expect to spend between 30 and 50 dollars for a first date.
    It depends on the activity, including whether there will be food.

• The first date should always be somehow free, and I'd never consciously allow my spending of money on a date to reflect how much I like a woman. I might get carried away if things go really really well though...

• Eh I spend about $150-200 for an hour on Backpage dates. Then again that's a guaranteed lay. I probably wouldn't spend more than 1/10 that on a maybe unless I was having an epic time even without a lay (rare) no matter who she was since I'm not much of a gambler.

• 20-50 Amount of money does SOMETIMES have to do with how obsessed you are. However, the girl cannot tell. Person a might spend $5 for someone he cares less about and $20 for someone he cares about, and person be might spend $20 for someone he cares less about and $100 for someone he cares about. So you can't tell by the amount how obsessed they are.

• I've definitely spent 200 on a date before, kind of regret it in retrospect, but I'm the kind of guy that likes to give a girl a unique experience...

• $50-$100 on the motel/hotel of course.

• i always cover the bill on the first date no matter what she wants to do we do it and have fun doing it

• I don't buy her anything. If we go out to eat, I pay for what I ate and she pays for what she ate, end of discussion. Having a slit between your legs doesn't give you the right to be pampered by me

• the kind of girl i'd ask out wouldn't care if it was $20 or $200.

• Well I did spend $100+ Miss. 😃.

• It doesn't matter how much you spend, it matters how good a time you show her.

• Seriously $100+? on a first date? You're just getting to know each other right, that seems like alot' on someone don't really know.

How would anyone justify expecting someone to spend that kinda' money on them?
    You expecting $200 being spent on you approaches top shelf, prostitute levels.
    Luckily, the majority of the women on this post are reasonable.

• I've found that only older girls really split the bill, or pay once in a while. Younger women, expect the guy to cover everything because they don't understand the value of money.

Not all younger girls, I have split the bill or usually just paid for my own leaving the men quite shocked thinking there wasn't another date.

• Sorry but I just don't know about spending that much on a first date, nope

• We should spilt the bill everytime

What Girls Said 10

• i would never spend more than 40-50 on a first date; 25 for supper (for myself) and the rest as needed (if we did something else, ie movies/bowling/etc).

i pay for myself on dates. like, if a guy wants to buy me a cup of coffee, as my now-boyfriend did, that's fine~ if he's insistent, i'll let him. but any more than that, and i'd have some serious reservations (ie, does he think i owe him sex if he pays for the date?).

best to keep things nice and even, so there are no false expectations and/or sense of entitlement.

• Not at all! I'd be happy going for just a coffee and a walk together. It wouldn't mean he wasn't really interested in me

I wouldn't think a guy liked me less if he didn't pay for me , because I wouldn't take it for granted that he would

If I went out for a meal I'd pay for my share. If he insisted on paying, then I'd insist I pay the next time

• I was always fine with just meeting for a drinks/coffee or at a public park/beach. After we know we like each other then we can go on a bigger date which I would for some things if I could afford it or just hanging out at our places watching a movie and having dinner is great. The amount depends on What ever each can afford and what you want to do. No one should expect anything but what's offered.

As far as gold diggers, they will usually cutely suggest where you should go that can be pricey. Or she'll hint around, "Oh I've always wanted to go to this restaurant," which turns out to be expensive as fuck. I would feel awkward about suggesting a place if I wasn't paying for it.

• Nothing. I'm the woman. I don't pay for first dates.

I don't think what he did was uncalled for. For some men 200.00 is nothing. For others 50.00 is a lot. I don't care how much a guy spends. It could be free to him and I'd love the date. What makes a good first date is not how much or little. Its how much effort he put into planning it.

If 200.00 is doable for him, and he's not being irresponsible (lets be honest if you blow money you didn't have thats a turn off, but if he's a stock broker or a doctor, 200.00 might not be that much for him. If that is the case a more important question is why you don't think your company is worth that.

• I really don't care about it.
    For all I care we can spend 0 dollars and still be amazing.

• There's really no set price but it shouldn't be anything too extravagant. A first date is about getting comfortable together and if it's too expensive I wouldn't be comfortable.

• I'm a big fan of the casual beer and maybe some nachos date... cheap, laid back, and lots of opportunity to chat.

• doesn't matter. Non-issue. Ide pay whatever, but unlikely to pick an expensive venue like a concert unless I know we'de both enjoy it.

• I DONT THINK THAT SAYS ANYTHING AT ALL MONEY SAYS NOTHING ABOUT HOW MUCH YOU CARE.

• To know that when you go on a date you already like the person it's better to spend a good amount on money on them.