Guys, How important is physical attraction?

My friend is dating a woman that he says is "ugly" physically; but "beautiful" emotionally. He says he loves how she acts, but doesn't love her looks. Do you think a relationship like this has the potential to last? Why or why not?

22

Most Helpful Guy

• You have to find something physically desirable about your SO. It doesn't have to be something that is conventionally beautiful or that other people would agree is attractive, but it has to be something that appeals to you, personally.

What Guys Said 21

• Physical attraction is just as important as emotional attraction. Can't completely lack one or the other.

Personally if I don't find a woman physically attractive, not even a little bit, then it won't work out because I won't be able to get it up.

Now that doesn't mean she's gotta be beautiful but at least somewhat attractive.

• Physical attraction is important no doubt, but then how much importance a guy gives to that is totally subjective.

To answer your question in that case the relationship will just " EXIST" because he won't be attracted to her, he won't find her appealing but her personality will not let him leave her. Hence he won't leave her

• I don't think there is much potential in that, barring extreme luck.

• Sex is a necessary part of a relationship and that is built on physical attraction, but it alone is insufficient to make a relationship work. You gotta have apples to make apple pie, but if all you got is apples, you ain't making no pie!

• i think it's rather important. most evolutionary science says that it is vital in the terms of fitness

but his emotional attraction could make her physically attractive enough to make it work out long term

• Its the way you put it, if you ask does being hot matter, I'd say no. But attraction is different, you have to have a basic attraction to even start the process, without the initial attraction there is nothing.
    Of course In the long term personality is more important of the two.

• Sounds like it won't work out in the long term. People change over time.. physically, emotionally and personality too. Men and women get together for one very important reason and usually when you don't have enough to keep you coming back for more then it usually ends. A great personality will only take yo so far.

Looks are easier to change than personality but physical attraction is very important, at least to me.

It's very important to me and here's why:
    1. Sex is an important aspect of romantic relationships and usually the driving force to start said relationship. I need need to really want to f#ck you're brains out for me to even think about being in a relationship with you.
    2. I'm an attractive man and desire an equally attractive women for a mate to produce healthy children.
    3. Most marriages are a crap shoot for the guys; 70% of all divorces are filed by the women. IF I'm going to get hitched it will be somebody worth my time, energy, pain and suffering. I'm not attracted to fat, unhealthy, ugly women.

• if I loved them as a person I suppose looks wouldn't matter to an extent.

• it won't work without physical attraction for me. she doesn't need to be a stunner, but if I think she's unattractive... no

• That all depends on how much importance he puts in physical attraction.

As for me, yes, it's important in the initial stages.

• I could never be able to have a relationship like that. Physical attraction is very important

• Very. Men are visual creatures and ff we aren't fucking, then we are just roommates. I'm sure your friend is getting the best he can afford to get at the moment.

• If a body is bad thats usually ok. If a face is unattractive that is a huge turnoff in a lot of ways. But hey if he asked her out and is dating her than there is yet hope

• It's nice if the woman I'm with i find her hot and attractive body wise but it's not everything for me.

• No.
    coz once u love a woman you see her beautiful and sexy.

• I have had a date like your friend's and I think it doesn't matter to date an ugly woman except while having sex. You may not have problems while having sex with an ugly woman, but it is much easier to have them if she is ugly.

• 50-50 in my case

• A dealbreaker. Without attraction there is no passion and without passion, something is missing.

• he might wind up cheating on her

• I dont think it can last too long, and here is why
    -He will always feel like he can do better (in terms of looks)
    -He will be more inclined to gaze and fantasize about more beautiful women
    -If she is really ugly, he will not want to be seen with her publicly

• I have to find her attractive, but it's a big difference in attractiveness if she is a normal woman, or one I developed a crush on.

But I'd never call her ugly if I had a crush on her..