How to approach someone who barely knows me?

There's this guy at work that I like. We are not friends, we are not even in the same department, we are not in the same circle of people, and the only time we "talk" is when we pass by each other - we greet each other because we know each other from highschool. But we weren't friends then either. I like him because I know he is a cool guy (there were few times in my entire life that we bumped into each other and had an actually chit-chat) and I find him attractive. Waiting for something spontaneous to happen is a waste of time and it's actually depressing. Even though he always greets me with a smile and a "hey", I know he only sees me as any other co-worker. We greet almost everyone at work like that. I can't just go to him and be like "hey I came here to start a random conversation" lol. Especially when he's always with someone. I have him on facebook but approaching there is kinda lame. I think I do give him as many as possible signs that I can (like looking deeply into his eyes and having a "special" kinda smile when we greet each other, or glancing at him from the distance). I really don't know what else to do... :(

What Guys Said 2

• Can you ask him how his day is going?

• thanks god i'm not "a cool guy" and no weirdo woman is stalking me... .

What Girls Said 1

• Do you have common friends/acquaintances?