Are you a serial monogamist?

As in, you HAVE to be in a relationship and seek out your next partner within hours of ending things with your last one?

And each relationship lasts a decent amount of time, too, they aren't short flings.

i genuinely pity serial monogamists because they don't know how to be happy on their own.

Most Helpful Guy

• For some people, happiness is. sth to be shared. I know I was happy when I was single, on my own, but there's sth more to sharing moments with someone you care about.
    Sharing your love, affection, laughter, happiness. Its all meant to be shared.
    Whats a life you live for yourself? To me its got to be more than that.

There needs to be recovery time though. You can't truly be with someone when you're not over the last one. And if you get over them that fast, there wasn't truly much of a connection there in the first place.

Most Helpful Girl

• That is not the true definition a monogamist. Its somebody who is married to one person and only has sex with one person.

What your talking about is somebody who relationship hops. It's done things out of desperation and selfishness usually. And a person who does just that is a major red flag. It means their afraid to be alone and gets another person to keep up with other people, to set some type of crazy goal or to forcefully attempt to forget the other by having immediate sex. That's all. Think of this: Misery loves company.

What Guys Said 36

• I have met people like that when I was in college, one of my acquaintances was unbelievable he would break up with someone during morning coffee and be in a new relationship by lunch. He and the others are like you say, they don't seem to be able to be happy on their own.

• Haven't been in a relationship yet, but I wouldn't be that extreme. I would give myself time to recover after a break up. But yes, I'm a lover. I want love. I don't think there's anything wrong with trying to find what you're looking for. And I wouldn't do short flings either.

• No.
    I do prefer relationships over just casual sex, which I enjoy a lot, but relationships are more my type.
    I don't get stressed if I'm not in one though.

• Hmm i think i must be based on your description, although i seek female company, which may or may not lead to a relationship and i dont care about the outcome. I used to rebound hard on girls.

Thanks for classification 😂

• that's not serial monogamy, that's serial dating.

• That seems like a really unhealthy attitude.

• Nah I'm not. I've always felt kind of bad for them too. There's so much more to life than always being in a relationship. We don't need someone to be happy.

• More like the opposite of that, whenever I get out of a relationship I never want to be in a relationship again. Still don't kinda LOL.

• I'm still with my first wife (and happy with it)

• Well ya, im a depressing guy that can't be happy cause id rather be in a relationship, i dont know about you, but being in one is 10 times better then being alone

• no but i know a person like that. she never finds a good partner, cause she never takes the time to actually look for a good one. she just gets with the next best just to be in a relationship at all times.

• Nah i usually go a year or more between relationships, at least until i got married lol.. Dont have to worry about that any more.

• It's been a year 8 days and counting since I've actually had a girlfriend.

So no I don't jump to a new relationship.

I've dated before but still took months

• That sounds like a train wreck

• Considering there's been a 3 year gap between now and my last relationship no.

• Nope

• nope im glad im not

• I know some people who are like that. I believe these people don't know how to be happy on there own and they feel lost without a SO. It's a pretty unhealthy attitude in my opinion.

• My last breakup I stayed single a year

The one before that 2 years

In fact the one I have now is my first serious attempt to date

• no not at all.

• No but I know some people who are

• nope lol, not at all

• Not at all. Never had a long relationship, quickly remember how much I like being single.

• im pretty much happy on my own. used to run after girls right now i dont give a fuck

• nope but used to be sometimes until I got tired of the drama. Single 11 years now.

• I've never been in a LTR so I think I am not this serial monogamist shit

• aryu seni anlamıyorum dostum okey

• Hell no

• No no

• nah after my break up stayed alone for a year and half took sometime to myself
    to study

• More from Guys
    6

What Girls Said 13

• I have had this problem myself... i am a serial dater. I've never been completely single for more than 3months... if im not in an exclusive relationship , I'm still going on dates... its odd for me when people say, "i want a relationship. I haven't been with anyone for a long time. " the main reason for me wanting a relationship is to have one consistent sexual partner. Sex is a priority for me, but safe sex is key. I enjoy my space , so after a while i become annoyed with being in relationships.

I'm the same as you @lmcmullan 😉
      I'll continue dating multiple women until I'm in an exclusive relationship and have decided which person I've got the best chemistry and connection with.
      While I'm single and out there dating I do have friends with benefits because we all have sexual needs 😉

• I am a monogamist in that all of my relationships are between myself and one guy.

And I have had multiple relationships.

However, I don't NEED to be in a relationship. Have to take your time between them.

• I've been single for the last 8 years. I'm gonna go with no on this one. I also do think that wanting to be in a relationship is a bad thing, but there is a problem with not knowing how to just be happy doing you. Gotta find the balance.

Wanting to be in a relationship isn't a bad thing, but NEEDING to be in one is. :/ which is what serial monogamy is basically.

People feeling like they NEED to be in a relationship.

But nowhere near the same level as someone who's a serial monogamist lol like.

Someone who hooks up casually consistently does it every few days or so because they have an itch that needs to be scratched occasionally.

Whereas with the serial monogamy it's like a constant itch that seems like it can never be fully satisfied if it's not being scratched on a daily basis.

It's just from what I observe from multiple people in my life not being able to function as single people.

My sister broke up with her abusive ex, hooked up with a guy the next night, then went on a date with her now husband like two days later.

My best friend who's boyfriend just cheated on her was looking for a Serious Relationship like the same day they broke up.

Right I get all of that. But I know people that are like people you described except they don't want the relationship, but they need the sex. Had a friend describe it as "I just need that warm body for the night". She's a commitment phobe in the worst way. I 100% get what you're saying, I'm just saying that the same could be said for people who always need to be hooking up

• No, but I knew somebody like that. Lol.

• Im not a serial monogamist but I know some serial monogamist that will fuck anything walking as soon as they are single. Then when they are in a relationship they act like they will be with that 1 person forever until their relationship ends and they say the same shit with the next partner of course. I do not understand how people can handle that, it seems exhausting

• Oh hell no i have a life and so should most people

• Nope I wouldn't be that desperate.

• I agree with you. I dont think its very healthy to do that

• Im not. I usually start enjoying being single too much.

• Lol nope

• No. I don't see the point in this.

• No. I've learned so much while single.

• I know so many people like that.

No I am not one.