Dating a guy with depression; any tips on what to expect?

We've being dating for nearly 4 months now; and I really like him. He's shared a lot of personal stuff with me about his condition, which only his friends and close family know of. I've never dated anyone with depression before, and I've only recently noticed changes in his behaviour. He struggles to sleep, and the past few days he's been in a bad mood and has lazed around in the evenings. We still talk everyday, so he's not cut me out.

Naturally, I would try and cheer someone up if they're feeling bad, but I know with depression it's different. How do I handle these situations? I care about him, so I want to try and understand what the best approach is, especially when he's feeling irritable and low. Also, what's the best thing I can when he's having trouble sleeping or when he's having a nightmare?

What Guys Said 2

• I suffer from severe depression. I would say from my experience if you really care for him be patient believe me he will notice and appreciate it. Sometimes he may just want to stay home or not talk. When that happens I just need a little space but I like to know if it gets to out of hand I can call or ask for help. Good luck, we are not all that back when you get to know the symptoms. 😁😁

• The best thing you can do for him is be patient and supportive. My wife is on medication for depression and some other things. Sometimes its hard, Sometimes she is self destructive, Those are the times i make it a point to hug her more, and to show here that i love her with all of my heart.

What Girls Said 1

• The best thing you can do is ask him specifically what you should do.