Can friends date?

People use to say my bff and I were cute together and would end up together. I use to deny it because we spent every living moment together. But we've been apart for a year or so and his long-term girlfriend and him broke up a few months ago. Do you think something might happen between us? Is it possible to date someone you used to be really close to?

Most Helpful Guy

• This is a Private Opinion
    Only the asker and the opinion owner can view it. Learn more

Most Helpful Girl

• There's pros and cons to dating your best friend
    Pros:
    - they basically know everything about you
    - you can be yourself
    - your parents probably already like them
    Cons:
    - when y'all get into an argument you have nobody else to vent to
    - THE BIGGEST THING: when you lose him you also lose your best friend

What Guys Said 18

• I personally think so. I caught feelings for a girl I am close friends with. I believe the best relationships can come from ones of friends. The challenge becomes getting them to risk the friendship for something more.

Telling my friend I caught feelings for her wasn't the easiest thing to do. I probably thought it over for 2 or 3 weeks. But I'm glad I told her because we got even closer. Nothing has happened yet and with my bad luck and timing things have kind of hit a stand still, which sucks. But I'm still working on it.

If you feel something for him he should at least know. The worst that he can say is he doesn't feel the same way. You've already gone awhile without talking to him, so you already know you can live with yourself if he doesn't feel the same way. Take the risk.

• Of course you can, assuming that there is a mutual attraction. Because you know and trust each other very well, the romantic relationship will develop much quicker. If it doesn't work, you probably lose a friend, but if it does work, you have an ideal relationship that is good for the long term.

We've admitted to liking each other at different times in the past.. but I don't know.. we haven't spent time with each other in quite a while..

Tell him that you are interested in pursuing a relationship when he feels ready, but that you don't want to be a rebound for him.

Oh... okay

• It is the same with any couple - If the attraction is there just with the complication, is it worth risking the friendship, your gut will tell you the right answer.

• Yes it is possible. I think a lot of times, people are afraid of losing the friendship, but really, the best relationships are when you are not only partners but also best friends. So I say go for it ❤️

• Your partner should also be your best friend and most very long lasting relationships started out as friends first so I say yes for sure.

• I believe it is possible. It depends on the people. Last year I got really close to a girl and I quickly slipped into the friendzone. By the day I am decided to ask her out, it was too late as she did not see a romantic partner in me anymore.
    This year I met another lady and we became friends. I asked her out despite the fear that I am was in the friendzone. She said I was her best friend and she has romantic feeling towards me. We are now dating and are crazy about each other :)
    Just go for it and see what happens. Not doing anything and wondering what if.. is the worst situation you could be in. Depression from rejection is temporary while regret lasts forever. :)

• Yes, you can date someone you were friends with. Something really great can come of it.

He deserves to have someone great, I don't know if it's me or not, but I just want him happy.

• Of course, didn't you see "When Hlarry Met Sally" ? Invite him out and maybe just kiss him.

No.. lol We've had intimate moments in the past and even admitted to liking each other at different times in life.. but like I said, it's been a while

• sure, it is very possible.

• sounds like you already have a strong foundation.

Is it too strong tho?

I kinda feel like we aren't as close as we used to be since he moved away from school.. it sucks. I used to always be there for him and now I can't..

perhaps not in the most conventional way. social has done a lotta harm to people... still, it can help people stay connected.

• Sure, if the click has remained than everything is possible.
    But trying to forecast it is impossible, it needs to come out of 2 peoples' hearts!

• NO they are not friends anymore

• Yes. It's possible. You can do whatever you want. All it depends on is if he wants to.

That hurts so much

Just the idea that someone else dictates if you'll end up with someone or not

I don't understand. The guy himself dictates who he wants to date. Of course. That's life. Maybe I read the question wrong. I'm a bit confused. lol.

• dont see why not

• Yeah sure it is , mypatents knew each other and were friends for years each dating other people before they finally got together with each other, and eventually got married and here I am :) . Don't worries there is hope for you :)

• sure it is.

• generally, the person you date, marry, becomes your best friend, but, you generally don't date your friends

What Girls Said 1

• Yes, I think so. I was super close friends with my boyfriend for four years before we got together and we've been together now for almost five years :)