What are your thoughts on online dating?

Honestly all my siblings, except one who is single, did online dating.
What website would you recommend?
Not recommend?
Positives?
Negatives?
Success stories?
Non success stories?

• It's bad
  • It's good

Most Helpful Guy

• My friend met his girlfriend who he plans to marry online and I have several cousins who are now married and live awesome lives together. I'd recommend OKcupid and Match cause it worked for them.

I'm trying online dating right now too. It's slow and frustrating at times, but is definitely a useful tool to get dates with some pretty cool people. Also, obstacles that arise when online dating include: sifting through a bunch of people you don't find attractive, getting no response from messages you send to people you are attracted to, and awkward conversations before finally getting an actual date which can be fun usually but also hit or miss.

Most Helpful Girl

What Guys Said 22

• Dishonesty is rampant. From things like picking photos that are deceptive all the way across any details of the person. It seems a whole lot of these people want text/email buddies too. They have no interest in getting off their ass and going out on a date either because they are lazy, or are stuck in a emotionally unfulfilling relationship and are using online dating sites to get that need filled.

There are a lot of weirdos too. People that have major issues that cannot hide these things face to face.. they use the dating sites to gloss over their shit.

PS- I have also realized once not terribly long ago that my odds of meeting someone at the grocery store are higher than a dating site. I have even bumped into women I have seen on the dating sites that had no interest in my profile, but went out of their way to show interest in a random meeting in public. Real life is WAY different than the synthetic thing online dating represents...

I've heard that too, where people met their gf/wife at a grocery store. Never had that happen to me.

What i hate is when I use those dating sites and start talking to a girl, ask her out to meet up and when she says yes and we start texting, she'll give generic/vague responses and does nothing to further the conversation.

• I have generally had good luck with online dating, primarily using match. com and POF. I prefer POF because I got too many scammers trying to take my money away from me on match. com. I have had occasional problems with misrepresentation but girls i might meet in a bar can lie, too.

• I'm surprised you are asking, are you not married.

anyways... i tried eharmony, match ok cupid and pof.

The best are eharmony and okcupid in my experience. I don't trust match although I know two people married off that site. a lot of it may depend upon the quality of people in your area.

In general, it is hard. guys get endless rejection and no response. girls get endless messages.

I've met a few good people off eharmony (years ago) and one off ok cupid that worked out.

I am married, you are correct. I met my husband on the internet, although we had met before as kids. I am wondering if others have too I guess... Online dating, I guess it was for me because I was super shy. Messaging each other online helped me get closer to him and bond with him before we met in person.

• It's just another way to meet someone. You can see a little more of a snapshot of someone before you meet them in person (assuming their profile is truthful). It also helps if one or both people are too busy to go out and meet people.

• As long as you know you don't have someone called Vladimir Whos a 57 year old man from the Czech Republic trying to ass rape you then you should be golden. Haha.

Never ever online date unless you know they're not a catfish

• The sites have worked well and many are even free but as far as the users go, I never got anything out of it. The best chances to find people of your kind is live interactions.

• Any type of dating can be a risk for us to take. I always blamed Internet dating as being a high risk but if we think about it. We could go meet someone in real life and the date could be a complete nightmare. I met a girl from telephone chatline that is where you meet online singles and such but it turned out to be a complete nightmare for me. She played chicken with her car and was loud, obnoxious, i never went out with her again too high of a risk taker.

• I have mixed feelings about it.

• It's not something i would ever do. I had a look a while back and it was ridiculous. Lots of ugly (not just physically, personality too) bitter women expecting a prince to sweep them off their feet. The men were mostly players. In real life i get girls 20 years younger than me interested in me, plus they are about 70 million times more intelligent etc, on the dating site most of them set their profiles to things like nobody 5 years older can even message them! Plus loads of other criteria. This remember, from women that nobody wants to date! Then they wonder why they are all single.

• online dating can be a waste of time especially when girls are not serious and refuse to pick the guy she wants or the right guy.

• Didn't vote cuz I've never tried it. I'd rather meet someone in person.

• I'm much more comfortable approaching women in person rather than online. It takes more confidence as well so not really a big fan of online dating tbh.

• never had any experience with that

• Would probably suggest online dating.

• better be safe about it, i have never tried it before. it seems to be a hit or miss kind of thing.

• Haven't tried any but from knowing so many stories about online dating, it's very sketchy.

• i like to kiss my dog thats why

• I tried online dating and had no success after 6 months on POF, OKcupid, Tinder, CoffeeMeetsBagel, and many others. The closest I got was talking to a woman that either never had the time or did not want to go anywhere with me. She had even accepted a date just to get cold feet when I told her I would meet her there but could not go anywhere after without taking a cab. I did not have a car at the time. After two more weeks of talking, I asked her if she wanted to do anything and that is when she got upset and I stopped talking to her.

• It works if you're a woman.

• I still use it but I had a very negative experience recently where I got rebounded, played, and led on big time that really fucked me up.

As far as a specific dating site, I like OkCupid the best but I've met a lot of women off all those sites so it's hard to say which one is the best. Each person is different.

• I think it's good, it can make it a lot easier to find someone, especially if you don't get out much. I wouldn't do it though, I'd be worried someone I knew fund out I was doing it, and it's frowned upon in our society

• If your a woman it's great. If your a man and NOT at least 6'2, make over 100k, and look around this level of looks.

http://i.imgur.com/H1q9ahk.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/5JZZcmb.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Gvi0RVv.jpg

Good luck because its going to SUCK BALLS.

What Girls Said 9

• Online dating is not inherently bad, but can be far more testing on your patience for either sex.

Men have to sift through fake profiles, women with dishonest photos, and women whose desire for a relationship is not as strong as her fear for actually meeting someone in person.

Women have to wade through horny creeps, douches, and men with that same shyness and fear of meeting in person. In between all that, there's even a few unwanted and unexpected dick pics.

You're more likely to get a real, authentic first impression of someone in person than you are online, but both do have the potential to lead to meeting someone great.

• It's just another Avenue to meet potential dates. Not good or bad in and of itself. I used it when I was single. Was pretty picky about who doesn't meet but I also didn't do the chat for weeks on end thing before meeting. Always met in a public license place for the first time.

I met some decent dudes. Waded through a lot of garbage ones.

• I would recommend POF (Plenty of Fish)!

Not something mainstream in my opinion, like Tinder - do a little searching.

They allow you to get to know someone on a different level, and helps weed out the people who only want you for sex - if you communicate only through message for the first month first and he seems generally interested in wanting to get to know you.

A lot of sketchy people can be found online, so just be wary.

I met an amazing guy 9 months ago, we talked through messaging and eventually met - by the time we met we already had such a strong bond, our relationship has been perfect since.

• I think any method of meeting people is fine, including online.

Positives: You can meet and communicate with more people than you would meet normally. People you meet online probably don't know your family and friends or work at your job, so if it doesn't work out you don't have to see the person or screw up other aspects of your life.

Negatives: You have a higher chance of a bad or awkward date because you haven't interacted with the person in real life before your date. A lot of people seem like they just want to chat, which is bad if you want to date. Dating sites usually match you with people who are really similar to you, which seems too limiting.

• If you like emotionally unavailable, detached from the real world, narcissistic, lazy, and self deserving... totally go online. I would not recommend this for me, my daughters, or my grandmother. No. Hell no.

Emotionally unavailable people aka rebounders are the worst to deal with from those sites. You could feel really close to the person, but once it ends you find out they were using you as a crutch for their own needs whether it be sexual, attention, validation, etc and then you're left to pick up the pieces once it ends.

@bloodmountain1990 I'm so sorry. I was having this convo with one of my friends. The best way to keep someone is to be unavailable to them. If you like someone always keep dating and don't make it too obvious that you are gushing. Let that person bring up exclusivity first. I too was a rebound. It hurts in such a humiliating way because he was not my type at all. I gave him a chance and he was simply looking to feel good about himself. Oh well.

Yeah and I didn't make myself too available to her. I had my busy schedule too. But even days when Id try to give her some space, shed send me snapchats or like/comment my stuff on instagram. We had a ton in common, it was insane. I kept my cool around her though. Didn't act lovey dovey or anything. But shit still hit the fan when she invited me to her place last time we saw each other.

Another dangerous thing from being rebounded is that you may end up like them, in the sense that you date someone to get over the person who used you.

• Online dating = 😡😱😑😨😰😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😑😒🙄

Yup don't do it.

• I prefer meeting men in person.

• It is ok. I don't think it works out for everyone, tho.

• I'm intimidated by it. You would only know what they chose to share, how they chose to share it..

Yeah a lot of people use misleading photos or you meet them in person and hit it off and find out they just got out of a long term relationship.