How would you feel if you were on a date at a restaurant and the waitress/waiter gave the check to the girl?

Girls, how would you feel if the check was given straight to you instead of the guy you're with?
Guys, how would you feel if they gave the check to your date instead of you?

• I'm female and I wouldn't care.
  • I'm male and I wouldn't care.
  • I'm female and I would take issue with it. (explain)
  • I'm male and I would take issue with it. (explain)
  • Results.
2mo Bump
2mo Pmub

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

What Girls Said 18

• I never had this problem somehow. Either we pay in the front cashier or the waitress just put it down in the middle, between me and my date. Usually my date will take it and pay with card, then later on, if we had agreed on splitting the bill, I'd pay him cash. So I guess if the waitress gave it to me, I'd just pay with my card/cash too.

• media1.giphy.com/media/zBtFBVVo5iZPO/200w_d.gif

When I was briefly going out with someone we always split. Exception was when one wanted to treat the other

• If anyone has an issue with this then I don't know what to say. If two people are at one table and neither of them are children then they are both fair game for getting the check handed to them.

• I wouldn't care, I'd just work out how much I have to pay and how much he does. Generally if we go to restaurants we'll go somewhere with a set price like a buffet or a special offer though so that's not difficult.

• Look at the waiter/waitress and say thanks :) *takes out my card and put it in* it's not a big deal

• I wouldn't care. I'd just slide that bad boy across the table to the guy anyway lol

So you expect guys to pay?

"that he gets things"

That doesn't work to support your argument though. Any position can be defended with an "oh well stuff just happens because reasons."

"and therefore don't explain myself just because you asked"
      -Of course you don't have to explain yourself. But then again I don't have to take your arguments seriously then. If you lack the will or capability to epxlain your reasoning, I can very easily just assume that my original assumption about you was correct. After all, the only way you countered it is by saying "nuh-uh" pretty much.

My kind of girl. :-)

• 2|1
  • Aside from it being rude of the waitress to presume anything, I'd just pick it up and put down my card.

Why rude? And presume what? So it wouldn't be rude if she were to give it to the guy right away?

To presume who will pay is rude. Waitress should place the check on the table in between the guy and girl.
      This not make sense to you?

Yeah, they usually set it down in the middle of the table.

• I wouldn't care. I'd probably not even notice and think anything of it.

• Id be like "finally now I don't have to feel bad about having him pay" but once I did take the check and my boyfriend ripped it outta my hands insisting that he pays and refusing that I pay cause he knows I'm broke as hell 3/4 of the time. At least I tried lol

• I wouldn't care because chances are I'm either not paying for it or only partially paying anyway.

What if he accidentally forgets his wallet? Are you guys gonna wash dishes?

@Blueeyes2016 No, I'd happily pay. But if I'm out at a restaurant and with a male the only two it could possibly be is my boyfriend or my father. If I'm out to dinner with my dad he's the one who pays for me because he's taking me out as a treat.

If I'm out to dinner with my boyfriend we obviously would've planned going out and I would be ready to pay my half, or he's surprising me and/or treating me to dinner and he's planned on paying.

• It would be pretty funny since my boyfriend barely ever lets me pay for the bill. Sometimes he gives the waiter/waitress his credit card before we sit down so I can't pay for it.

• I voted A. I wouldn't care. I always want to see the bill anyway.

• Doesn't matter.
    I always tell them separate anyways, lol.

• Lol, do they ever really give it? Don't they just kind of put it on the table with some chocolates?

No, they generally give it to the most dominate person at the table, especially if it's a woman waiting on you.

• I wouldn't take it.
    I would wait for them to set it on the table since that's what they usually do

So whom do you expect to pay?

It's good that someone your age has an open mind about it. Gives hope about the newer generations.

I'm open minded about many things and I'm always willing to hear what people have to say before I make up my mind :)

• I wouldn't care, that's happened to me before and I just slid it over to the guy. Sometimes if the check is given to the guy I will grab it and see the total then give it back to him,

Wow. That's pretty rude. Don't you think?

I just think looking at the bill before sliding it over is a bit inappropriate.

I'd never let my date see the check. She doesn't need to concern herself with how much the dinner is, whether it's just $50 or $300. Even when I was married my wife didn't get to see the check because she'd worry about spending even a little money. Out of sight, out of mind.

• I would be really shocked and stare at the waiter with a blank stare like "Are you new dude or?" This is such a rude things to do. In my country something like that would never happened never.

What Guys Said 27

• I’m male and I personally wouldn’t care, although I’d request the check back so I could pay for our meal, which has happened before and I’ve done. There has been the case when the girl I was on a date with decided she actually wanted to be the one to pay the check, and since she was adamant about the event, I bowed to her wishes and let her do such.

It was a sweet gesture on her part and endeared her to me for it, because she was confident enough with me to make the request and it didn’t cost me anything emotionally or as far as self-esteem to give in to it, and it made her happy, therefore, so much the better. As I’ve said before, sometimes you just have to go with the flow in life; it is too short to worry over the little things all the time. That’s my bottom line.

• i wouldn't care

i worked in restaurants and was taught very specifically not to put a check in front of any particular patron unless the explicitly ask for it. i was always taught to put it in the middle of the table on the edge

Makes sense.

• Most guys probably be thinking yeah, she's paying! But in actualality, the guy, if you are worth your own salt should immediately get it and she should hear nothing else about it. Says a lot about your character by having the integrity to do the right thing.

Define "right" in this case.

But it certainly helps pave the way for a healthy relationship

There are loads of things that can and do lead to healthy relationships. And each works different for each couple. If the couple consists of a woman who expect the guy to spend his money while doesn't have to and he's ok with it, then by all means. But in many other cases, this setup wouldn't work if the guy doesn't want to be the only spender or if the woman doesn't want to feel uncomfortable by him spending.

• Does that even happen? I've never seen this myself. They always either put it in the middle, give it to the man (especially in more refined establishments), or hand it to the person requesting the bill.

Would be interesting to see, but wouldn't offend me.

• I would just take the bill.

• Doesn't matter. You've literally described a situation which has only even happened if the man is in the restroom when the check arrives.
    The only time I've ever seen them put the check straight into the woman's hands is when I've been out to lunch with my mother.

• Id be like..." soz babe I gotta go take a phone call outside, yeah it's cold so I need my coat too"

• I met someone from Bumble and went to a restaurant and I ordered something for 6.50 and the girl ordered something for 22 dollars. She didn't eat ANY of it either.

When the bill came I asked her to split the check and she said "No I think you should pay because it's only customary."

I paid but I blocked that bitch's number from ever calling me again.

You did the right thing. Fucking bitch.
      Though you could have tried to pump and dump her, no?

Nah brah. I have to be more selective in my dating because I had been acceptin whatever I could get but not having sex.

I thought this woman was going to give me a tour of Soho but it just ended being me having to take her to Chinatown and pay for her meal that she didn't eat.

• I would care.

I'm the man, so you give me the check. Simple as that.

• I wouldn't care because she just gave it to her that doesn't mean that she'll be paying for it. I'll pay the bill.

• Most of the time they just leave it in a neutral spot on the table anyway.

• I honestly can't envision this happening. They always either leave it on the table or when I put my hand out they give it to me.

• I'd find it amusing.

Actually, I might arrange this to happen and see how the date reacts. Could be onto something there.

• ONE, WHO DOES THAT. I FEEL LIKE ITS JUST AN INSULT BEACAUSE AS MEN WE'RE RASIED TO PROVIDE AND TAKE CARE SO IF A PERSON DID THAT, THAT I FEEL WOULD BE A LITTLE OUT OF LINE…. NOW IF THE PERSON wasn't TOO SURE WHO TO GIVE IT TO YOU JUST PLACE THE BILL IN THE MID SEACTION OF THE TABLE.

• No worries
    I'd take it from her and pay
    Simple AF

• I doubt that would ever happen... unless she had her pocket book, money out.

• I wouldn't care. But I'd insist on paying for it, or my half at least.

• I'm old fashioned I always pay for the date so to hand the bill to her is a sleight to me. Most times I get up and pay the bill before they can even bring it to the table so she doesn't have to scramble for her wallet

• I'd smirk and watch her face for her reaction...

• I'd wait to see how she would react. Could be interesting.

• bout fucking time

• Just as my own principle, I would grab the check and pay.

• that would not bother me not even in the slightest.

• I did that when I was a water like once or twice. the guy laughed

• It's better than giving it to me. Then I would have to fake needing to use the restroom, and slipping out the door, leaving her with the bill. :)

• There's no "I'd be happy" option.

• This has happened before. It's no big deal. I just ask what's it say and then proceed to pay😳.