Girls, can you tell when a guy is trying too hard to impress you?

Like when you're talking to a guy, can you usually tell if he's being genuine or trying too hard to impress you?

20

Most Helpful Girl

• When he is trying to impress you, it can also be genuine. He definitely should make an effort and show a girl she's the one he cares about but he can't be needy/addicted to her. If she's interested, she'll try to impress him too (but maybe in a less obvious way) xx

What Girls Said 19

• I can tell when they are trying too hard and they usually turn out to be the most disappointing. It's how they perceive themselves and also how much they do for you at the beginning stages. Too much is not a good sign.

• Absolutely. The sad part is that it can be a mood killer and a turn off. I want to tell him to stop but I don't want him to lose hope, but at the same time if he doesn't stop I'm going to start avoiding him.

What are some examples guys did to try so hard? I know the macho act is like universal.

Going out of his way to do EVERYTHING for me, even if I'm perfectly capable doing it myself. Like every single move or action I take he runs ahead and does it for me. Chivalry is awesome and it's nice to be a gentleman but it has the potential to get excessive to the point I feel like a child.

I also can't stand the type of guy who is full of himself. Like he's the greatest at everything, the best at this, he's always superior at that, oh he totally knows all about that other thing, and he's already been there and done that and he excels at everything all the time. Just the type that boasts about all his greatness so much that I can't talk about anything else because the conversation goes back to how amazing he is.

No one is that awesome. Everyone has weaknesses and vulnerabilities. Unless you're a bajillionaire making multi-million dollar deals for breakfast, we're all reaching for something. All of us except for Mr. Perfect (ly Boring) at everything.

You know now that I think about it, I can imagine how boring that could be. Just imagining a girl doing everything I wanted to isn't fun, it's nice to be challenged sometimes. The second type you described is also a pain in the ass because I have a friend like this and it's funny because he actually believes all the stupid things he says. It's that ego mentality that us guys have, a lot of us just try to be right all the time and that were never wrong or how we're so good at something that we can't be beaten.

• Yes they seem clingy or thirsty

• Yeah, I Can usually tell. it actually often ruins whatever vibe we may have had.

I get you. I think it's just natural from back in the animal kingdom how males had to impress females in order to find a mate. Lots of times we forget that we're humans and we don't need to act like that anymore. I admit I'm guilty of doing it myself especially in the past. Not so much anymore.

Yeah. Like the best way to be is yourself. There's no point on trying to be something you're not.

Exactly.

• tbh you can tell a lot of the time when a guy is just being fake to get with you

Like being too nice?

yes. if a guy is too nice where he lets you do whatever you want even if its something he wouldn't be happy with, and agrees with whatever u say its a sign of fakeness

Not just that but... that's just being a doormat lol I admit in my younger years I actually pulled that off because I thought it would work and I was being a good guy, I had no idea how wrong I was lmao. Big lesson learned, always have a backbone.

• Yes. But at the time I would just assume he was an asshole and be irritated. Then I'd go home, put two and two together... and still think he's an asshole. '-'

• I usually don't even realize when someone is flirting so no, I don't really know, but when they start talking about money and how sexy he is, he is trying too much

I agree on the last part.

Haha I do, but it gets boring when they think I'll kill for them or something, I'll do my part and you'll do yours

Lol so you like them aggressive huh?

• Yes, it's normally obvious.

What are some things guys would do to try to impress you?

lel I would think you were disillusion. :D

• lol no.

• No I probably can't

• Yes, I have been able to tell when it's directed at other ladies around me. But not when addressed towed myself.

• yes i can

• Generally yes but I act like I doesn't notice

• Yea, but it's kind of sweet/ cute.

• Yeah

..

• Yep because that's when he's making an ass out of himself

Are there any prime examples a guy tried to hard impressing you?

Telling me how often they work out, flexing, telling me about girls he hooked up with and how he's very desirable and I shouldn't get jealous. I usually say "Who the fuck are you? And you're not impressing me"

Haha yeah. I know the tough guy is big one. Some guys lie about their virginity too since they think it's embarrassing so they make up stories about these hook ups they had.

• In my experience most guys try hard to impress the girl they like

It's hard not to. I think a lot of us are just worried we're not manly enough, or rich enough, or strong enough. I think it's subconscious sometimes.

I think girls appreciate being impressed and are probably used to it. What girls really like is being flirted with. Not complimented even, just flirted. That's exciting and you start to think about the guy. Compliments can be boring especially for good looking girls.
      Maybe read up on how to flirt, and it has to be a bit sexy without being obnoxious

That's true I definitely feel for girls on compliments because I get complimented on my physique all the time and while I appreciate it, it gets old fast. I believe the flirting part can really make someone stand out.

• Yeah I can tell

• Sometimes you can, sometimes you can't. It all depends on how the boys personality is. If he's one way around other people and a different way around the girl their trying to impress, people will start to talk and/or the girl will get the hint.