Is it wrong of my parents to not allow me to meet up with guys that I met online?

I'm 20 and still living with my parents and my parents won't allow me to meet up with guys that I'm interested in on Tinder so as a result I sit at home when I should be meeting up and socializing with guys that I'm interested. I even video chat with them before hand and I tell my parents about it and they still won't let me meet up with them. A lot of my friends my age met their boyfriends on Tinder and other online dating sites because their parents let them meet up with them but my parents just won't allow me to meet up with guys that I meet online so they are ruining my chances of being in a relationship with these guys that I meet online My parents are also ruining my chances of me having fun and doing what ever I want because they won't let me meet up with guys on Tinder. The only way my parents would allow me to meet up with a guy is if I meet them through friends, work or anywhere in person. I also really want to meet up with guys that I meet online because I want to see what their personality is like in real life and want to have conversations and go out to lunch and dinner with them to get to know them better but my parents would not allow me. How can I convince my parents that I want to meet up with guys that I met on an online dating website?

Most Helpful Guy

• Er... you're twenty years old. You don't need permission.

Do what teenagers have been doing since dating was a thing. Lie. Tell them you're going to meet a friend for coffee. Meet a dude instead. Tell them that you met the dude while you were out getting coffee.

If you're morally opposed to lying, then don't lie. Have a girlfriend go with you, not to be part of your date, but to hang around for a few in the background while you meet the guy and make sure he's not a serial killer. Then tell your parents you met him there.

Exactly this ^ I'm sure the parents main concern is not if you want a boyfriend or not, but your safety. Lots of shady people out there.

Most Helpful Girl

• You're right. Your parents are acting unfairly. I met my boyfriend through Tinder and he's the love of my life, going strong 9 months already. If I was never allowed to meet guys from there in person, I would never have met him which is actually really a sad idea. Your parents need to understand you're an adult and that online dating is a thing. It's a great means of meeting new guys especially if your everyday life doesn't give you many chances to meet guys. You'll have to tell your parents that you are miserable and lonely and wish to find guys to date. Maybe also remind them of how many people have found love that way.

What Guys Said 14

• because they are aware of your scenario at home, they don't like it. they don't want you hurt. The flip side to this is by not getting exposure, you are at risk of picking someone who is not good for you because you lack experience.

When people hear the word tinder... they think... hookup site... so that is negative and probably why they object. maybe not your intent, but who knows the intent of the other guys. they don't want you used, heart broken, etc..

I think it is better to meet people in person in general so I'd do that. Or I'd move out and do what you want.

I'm saying no, it is their house and their rules. you pay the Mortgage or rent, it is your house and your rules.

• Let me guess: your parents are from a culture where arranged marriages are very common or the norm. No sex before marriage?

• Why are you telling your parents about your Tinder dates to begin with? Do you tell them EVERYTHING? Damn, my parents don't get to know about the girls I a with unless I feel like they need to know because the r/s is getting serious then and only then, but c'mon a Tinder date? They don't need to know.

• Move out.

• One if you are gonna live with your parents they get to do stuff like that
    Two if you're so worried about meeting people on socializing get tf off tinder and go out to meet people

• since you are above 18 your parents have no authority over your sex life. taking away freedom for the sake of security can never be justified.

• Don't ask for permission next time. Go out, find a boyfriend, and then say you met him somewhere else and not online.

• Even though I'm 23 my mom absolutely forbids me from doing any sort of online dating, she watches Dr. Phil then says that all online dating people are evil.

• somehow it's wrong because you're above 18 but believe me they love you

they don't wan guys to use you as a sex toy, if i had a daughter i wouldn't let her too

• Smart parents

• do it.. you are an adult.

• You are an adult... you can do what you want. You do not ask them... you tell them you ARE going to do it. Period.

• Not wrong. Online people can/may be dangerous.

• I haven't hit this yet with my kids, who are just hitting their teens.

Generally, as teens, my intended rule is I want to meet them first. If they're afraid to meet me, she should take that as a bad, bad sign.

I've had a guy who happily met my parents. However, he shortly after cheated on me and left me on my birthday.

@Americandream00 I didnt' say meeting was a good sign, but not meeting is a -bad- sign.

What Girls Said 9

• You are 20 years old. You are an adult living under the roof of your parents. That means their rules apply to everyone in that house. Are they wrong for keeping you from meeting strangers online? No. When you get your own job, your own house, your own car, your own life without the help of mommy and daddy then you can do whatever you want. If any of these Tinder smurffs were so interested in dating you, then they would make an attempt to meet your parents and win their approval. But guys don't do that these days because anything that requires effort is not a trait of the Millennial.

• Maybe because tinder is a hook up website rather than a dating website really isn't it? How about just telling them you are going to meet a friend from work something. I mean how would they know? You're an adult and as long as you have no intention of bringing the men back to your parents house to get jiggy... then its none of their buisness. Just be smart about things. Try to meet during the day, in a public place always untill you get to know the person.

• You're 20. Stand up for yourself, or just leave and do it anyways. I understand your position, my parents are very controlling.

• Find a bit of independence. Go, anyway. At 20 you're parents don't "let" you do anything. The fact they are allowing you to live with them doesn't give them the right to lord that over you.. and if they keep doing it I would say it's time you make other arrangements.

• Then get your own place and be independent. Don't expect freedom when living off of your parents at your age.

• Your still living under their roof so it's their rules. Sorry.

• Hahahah my parents do that sometimes too. It took awhile to convince them

• There is always a risk. If you are going to meet them should be in a group setting or public place.

• You're 20. Either move out or keep your business private.