Have you ever HID your relationship from your family and friends? Why did you do it?

honestly I did it until we were engaged... the reason is I wanted to make sure it was real before I told everyone. I didn't just want to tell everyone and then have him be gone, they would be like... where's your boyfriend?

• yes I did
  • no, never

Most Helpful Guy

• kind of sort of. i used to just not really tell my mother details about my social life. mostly because she was insanely judgmental. hated every girl i ever mentioned i liked (even when the entire family loved them) and was convinced that i was some sort of slut. so just to avoid the inevitable arguments and nasty words from her i would usually keep her in the dark. she'd know i had a girlfriend but i wouldn't really tell her anything beyond that about it

Most Helpful Girl

• In college yes, first boyfriend. were serious with ea. other but, his family was very strick. so dating was difficult and i didn't want to tell my family if there were uncertainty.

Ex. husband, things went very fast with frirends and family.
    Same with last relationship and
    Current situation, my family met him very early on.
    Nothing to hide, as an adult.
    My family is pretty open minded and happy and supportive in their own way with a bit of criticism which I am used to. They just want me to be happy.

What Guys Said 13

• I've hid a relationship from my family before and my friends both, because for the longest time I had some issues with just opening up with people. I consider myself a very private person and there was a time in my life when I just held everything about myself and what I was doing very close to me and only shared anything personal with the one I was involved with. Over the years I've learned to trust more and share more with others around me, but I still often have a stubbornness about me that it takes time to gain my trust and get me to open up to you about items in my life that are extremely private and personal, but it isn't as bad as it use to be.

• In late 1988, I was living with two women. One was ugly and, worse, fantastically annoying. The other was a very hot curvy nympho with rockin' tits. Well, the uggo had to go home to take care of her parents for an extended time, so it was just the nympho and me. Long story short, in December, we had this intense "F W B" before "F W B" was something. I loved her though, but, to her, I was just a hot beef injection she needed. This began on December 4th, we started humping on December 7th, and it lasted 2 more weeks. I humped her on the morning of the 21st and, that night, she brought home "the car salesman" to fuck him that night. (I found out the next morning.) Here's the kicker: she said from the start "You can't tell anyone." This was a secret affair... Needless to say I had a heartbroken and angry Christmas and got into a fight with my dad and just took off heading back upstate. I later explained what had happened.

• "they would be like... where's your boyfriend? " Is there any shame to be the victim of betrayal? Also, even if it is not betrayal, or is betrayal, whatever, BFs and GFs dump each other all the time. You family must understand this, and I suppose they already do anyway. :P
    But you could hide it because it's real personal, or because you don't want an annoying little sister to come piss you off with her flirting with him and that kind of BS.

• nope, never

• Yes, for the same reason as you - I never told my parents about who I was seeing until it had been several months and was most definitely a serious thing. They are really nosey and always ask after people that I've mentioned, so I really couldn't take having to explain that I'd broken up with someone or have my mom namedrop them in future.

• My girl does, because she's a really private person who doesn't want to share things like that with anyone other than close friends. I'm ok with it, though.

• I never hid any relationships i had my mother was single when i was in my 20's
    so i would hang out with girls but I knew my place. My last girlfriend was age 18 and i was age 35 my mother knew about us but she never made a big issue and she accepted her. It was not a big issue with my family my mother was cool. She knew i hung out with younger females but it was just friendship nothing more.

• it was none of their business.

• I am not in relationship but mostly people wait for right time. When right time comes they will tell to their parents

• Nope. If they have an issue with it that's their problem, not mine.

• Yes and still do
    Cause she is an online girl and the chances are that i will probaby never meet her irl

• Not from my friends, but I don't tell my family anything about that stuff

• I would. I don't like my relationships to be public

What Girls Said 15

• Hmm, I didn't tell our friends that we'd gotten together for a few months because I was 15 and huuuugely insecure and suffering from anxiety and all sorts of self esteem issues and I'd liked him for roughly four years and I hadn't thought he could ever like me back. I was terrified that it was either a huge joke being played on me or that he'd made some mistake and would change his mind. I didn't want them to know about that, it'd be too embarrassing. I let them know when I realised that I shouldn't be scared anymore.

I didn't tell my family about it because I didn't have that kind of relationship with them. We didn't tal about boyfriends (and we definitely don't talk about girlfriends :P ) and I felt too uncomfortable discussing it. In the end, we'd been together for 9 months by the time I told my mother and that was me blurting it out just before I jumped out the car and sprinted for the bus to college. She didn't take it well :P

• I never did but my brother did when he was dating a woman 15 years older and he knew our parents wouldn't approve.

• Yes. I "hide" them until I'm certain it's serious between us and I know we'll last. My family is very important to me and I don't want to take home just anybody for them to judge lol

• Yes. Because once my fam gets a whiff of anything they make a big deal out of it. Don't get me wrong I love em. But somethings I like to keep private until I feel it's appropriate

• Yeah I did. Because everyone hated him, he was abusive and a dick and eventually cheated on me.

• Yes. My best friend is hidden from everyone else in my life and I am from his. It'll probably stay that way too.

• I should have. They've never liked anyone I was ever involved with.

• I wish I had

• No I would dump someone who did that

• Always do for the first couple months so I can enjoy it being just us 2 and no biggy if doesn't work

• just from family. I don't like telling them things.

• Yes, because he was from another race then me

• Yes, I hate being asked about it all the time or worried of how embarrassed I'll be if it doesn't work out.

• I hid cause my family is very judgmental.

• I'm embarrassed of my family, so I try not to involve them with anything.