Gripping the Table?

So I'm usually pretty good with body language, but this one threw me off a bit...

A couple weeks ago, a guy in my college class sent me an email and started hitting on me (I didn't give it to him, it's available on our virtual classroom). We started talking after a while, and went on our first date last night.

We went to a restaurant, and the entire time, I think we were both watching each other. I'm majoring in psychology, he's minoring. It was really strange, because I'm not used to someone analyzing me the way I analyze other people...

He is very forthright, so he just opened up to me about his past relationships. He told me he'd been cheated on several times, what had happened, and sat with his hands hidden under the table the whole time, with his head slightly tilted back, resembling an aloof, dominant position.

He sat like this when he talked, but when I spoke, he picked his head up and payed attention. He was actually a pretty good listener.

Our food came, and we finished up our conversation.

The only time I saw his hands (besides eating) was at the end of the meal. The focus of the conversation was me: we were talking about something really personal to me, and I told him I was nervous. I told him about how I wasn't really close to anyone and that nobody seemed to take the same amount of interest in me as I commit to them. I'm not used to talking about myself. I didn't look directly at his face much (I saw he was paying attention), but I focused on his hands. They were on the table, and he was gripping the side of the table with his right hand.

At the end of the night, he walked me to my car and initiated a hug.

Why do you think he was gripping the table? His face was very intense when he was listening to me? He said he had a good time. I just don't... See this a lot. What do you think he was thinking?

What Guys Said 1

• Like he just was grabbing the edge of the table like on the side? I do that sometimes when I'm in a serious conversation and leaving into listen to everything

What Girls Said 1

• You already asked this question once. It means he was feeling uncomfortable.