Guys, How does having your heart broken in the past affect your next relationship?

i just wanted to see if having your heart broken affects the girls you date afterwards and in what way? And I don't mean for rebounds or the sleeping around with girls phase. I'm talking about when you meet someone you actually really like and care about and want to date.

5

Most Helpful Guy

• It makes you more cautious and guarded unfortunately. It is something you have to overcome. Also, it's really easy to mix up trust with trying to manage your own feelings. I mean, just because your heart got broken doesn't mean you shouldn't trust someone else, to think "I can't trust this girl with my heart" and that is also something you have to get over. It can manifest in becoming emotionally unavailable, it can manifest into breaking up with girls prematurely and perhaps jealousy.

What Guys Said 4

• That's why I take some time off, before even trying to meet someone new. 4-6 months, usually. Sometimes just 'going to the man-cave' and being alone, is enough, over that time.
    I NEVER want to bring 'baggage' into a new relationship.

• A lot. Having your heart broken hurts, so getting over it completely takes a long time.

• It makes me a little cautious, but also learn from it. It will take some time to trust and feel the same way again

• Really just makes you cautious about everything. You learn to be more sensitive.