What do I do with my relationship? Is it time to walk away?

I have been dating my boyfriend for almost a year. We both just started college, and things got very rough between us. We have had some really good days and now things just seem okay I guess. He was the one I fell for after having my heart shattered by my first love. He is a fantastic guy, but lately I have had doubts. We barely see each other now because of our schedules being completely different... All I seem to do now is go to school, do homework, and work.
We maybe see each other once a week, and the horrible thing is that I don't feel bad.
He almost broke up with me a few weeks ago because of lack of seeing each other and I really think he deserves better than me, and I did tell him that.
I guess where I am trying to get is that I love him, but I don't think it is romantic anymore. I just cannot bear to hurt him. I never want to hurt someone like my ex hurt me. He does not deserve it, but he deserves someone who will love him. I think we both know that it is not working well anymore. We used to talk about the future quite often and that has completely changed.
I need advice. I have been told it is okay to walk away, that is just so much easier said than done.
Please don't leave rude comments. I'm seriously struggling right now. I don't have friends because they have all moved off to college, and I am going to college at home because you know it's cheaper. So I am lonely and don't really have anyone to confide in, in person. I also just never know how to explain my feelings.

Most Helpful Girl

• From my heart: It appears there may be mutual feelings of wanting to leave, but still caring for each other at the same time. That is okay. Actually those can be the best and most positive types of break ups. Take advantage of that situation now, since you don't want to hurt him. It seems he is possibly feeling the same way, and doesn't know how to go about it. Be in communication, open the door with the discussion similar to what you put out here, and just tell him, you don't want to hurt him , but maybe you both need to move on at this time. People grow apart every day, and most times things don't end good at all. You have the opportunity to possible end decent with this person, wish them the best in their future, mean it with all your heart, and tell them that we never know what tomorrow brings. Best of Luck

Thank you so much. I have thought about this so much and I think I have finally figured out that ending it is in our best interest. I feel so bad and guilty. I don't really know how I am going to do it yet. He is such a great person, and I hate to hurt him.. but I want him to be happy and he is not with me.

What Guys Said 0

What Girls Said 1

• Well clearly you need to sit and talk to him about that as your wasting each others time. And as you said you both recognise it I'm sure you can both try work as friends