Do you believe in love at first sight?

Why or why not? This was a topic in one of my classes today and the class was pretty divided... some even said they'd experienced it. Just thought I'd ask it here to see what you guys think!

• Yes, definitely!
  • Not at all.
  • Other

Most Helpful Guy

• The discussion must begin with a definition of love. I think love is a feeling of attachment, desire, wanting to be a part of someone's life despite knowing their faults and foibles. It is a feeling that makes you want to selflessly help your partner to accomplish all that they can and to maximize their happiness in life.

I think that "love at first sight" is lust, sometimes mixed with a need to be in love. How can you love someone who you don't know? When someone asks me why I love my girlfriend, I can talk for at least 15 minutes about all of her good qualities, her funny little quirks, her charming mannerisms, etc. If you fall in love at first sight and someone immediately asks you why you are in love, what can you say? She's beautiful/he's handsome. What else?

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't think that love at first sight exists. "At first sight" implies that two people fall in love based on solely their looks. Because of this, I would think that this is actually called "lust".
    I may just be spouting rubbish; I'm only 13. So if you feel that this is incorrect, let me know, make my life easier for me so I don't go thinking that lust is love or vice versa.
    Smile, Jesus loves you!

What Guys Said 20

• No, I don't.

• I don't believe there's any such thing, just strong mutual attraction mixed with teenage hormones.

Then again, I'm dead inside, so I'm not the right person to be asking.

• Love at 1st sight is just lust. It just so happens that your intuitions turn out to be right and form love over a period of time

• Yeah I believe in it, plus my father fell in love with my mother at first and they've been happily married for over 25 years.

• I believe that sometimes you can look at someone and just tell if that person is going to be important to you. But falling in love? No.

• No , I believe a lot of approaches are made after the two people have got to know each other through social interaction. I'm afraid a lot of what we are told when young is a load of politically correct tosh.

• infatuation certainly. love is not possible at first sight though. true love requires work and learning and pain.

• No you best walk by again

• Impossible to love what you do not know

That was my opinion, but some of my classmates disagreed

Right, and some times they are just in love with the idea of being in love.

Yeah that's true. I didn't even want to be in love because I was trying to focus on school but it didn't work that way lol but you're right, some people search for it and really want it

• Lust yes, love, could happen at first sight. It's rare though.

• I don't know. Nobody ever loved me

• Speaking for myself, love is something I suppress so it's very hard for me to fall in love.

• The thing is... love just happens. It just does. You can’t quite explain it, but it exists and often times the potential of falling in love with someone happens within the first glance. ;)

• Nope babe its lust at first sight which most GAGers do. 😏

• Yes I believe in love at first sight. But don't ask me why?

• Lol nope that's just sex appeal

• not at all... I don't believe in love

• I believe that you can be really attracted to someone at first sight and want to get to know them more and try to go after them romantically. But I don't think that you can love someone at first sight. That it being infatuated with someone. Love can only come into flurition by two poeple that would do anything for each other.

I agree... I believe in loving a person's overall appearance, but not loving that person for who he/she is, just upon meeting for the first time.

• Nope. It's LUST, ATTRACTION

• Does not exist. Lust or infatuation at first sight is real though.

What Girls Said 10

• Personally, i don't. I could never fall in love at first sight because it's a guys appearance which initially attracts me, but its his personality that i fall in love with. I need to know a guy really well before i'd reserve a space in my heart for him. My feelings develop over time, and my love grows the more i get to know him.

• No. It's 'lust' or 'infatuation' at first sight

• Yes I do, it happened to me once or twice.

• I believe to love someone you need to be able to see them from the inside aswell as the outside don't get me wrong physical attraction can definitely happen and can differ in strength but I personally believe that when you love someone you love both the physical and personality aspect which takes time to get to know

• Yes, been there, done that

• i used to believe in it, but then i realized love at first sight is just "loving" someone for their looks.

i believe in love at first talk though.

• nope, because it's an excuse for emotional affair

• Not really. I think lust at first sight is more accurate.

• I have heard a few, very few though, men who implied they "love" me when I first talked to them. I mean in non-dating situation (academics, exercising, etc.) I guess that's their "love at first sight," but I don't believe that one can really love somebody at first sight, in a sense that he/she wants to take care of, and be concerned about her/him.

But to pursue that love, to make efforts to get to know a person and eventually become lovers, yes it's possible. But then by that time, it isn't love at first sight, although people will describe it as they knew their partners were "the one" when they first met them.

• Yep. Sure sign of Karma, that so called love at first sight.