If someone you like isn't interested in you do you need them to tell you or are you good at picking up hints?

I personally like being told but hate having to tell people because I tend to be pretty cold.

Last night i had to tell someone to their face that they aren't my type because they had tattoos, smoked weed, and that we just didn't have much in common. It felt harsh but i don't know how to filter myself- if they want to know, I'm guna tell them straight up.

Which would you rather do and have done to you?

• I prefer telling them the truth and want them to tell me too (I like confrontation)
  • I prefer they just take a hint but I need them to tell me they aren't interested
  • I prefer they take a hint and I know how to take a hint too (i dont like confrontation)
  • I prefer telling the truth but i can usually take a hint if they aren't interested in me

Most Helpful Guy

• With my personality always being optimistic, I will almost always talk myself into "she likes me but is shy", especially when most of the time when I meet her, I ask for her contact info and she gives it to me. So in my opinion I have EVERY right to think she is interested. My ego won't allow me to surrender a dating prospect that gave ME her contact info.

Therefore, hints don't work for me at ALL! She needs to woman up and tell me she is not interested, because my will is strong and my ego won't allow me to back down.

My mind always goes to "I'm an awesome dude, she has no reason NOT to be interested in me. The more she gets to know me, the more she'll know I'm a great catch. Just a matter of time until she wises up."

Most Helpful Girl

• I can actually do both. I rather that they tell me the truth than lie or lead me on. But I can read body languages and sense things from people, so even if they smile and pretend to like me, I know the truth either way. I value honesty in a person, as long as its not deliberately to hurt me.

What Guys Said 13

• I picked the first one, but for me I would like to change it to state that I don't---DO NOT----like confrontation, but I just prefer to be open and honest and prefer others are the same with me as well. I don't like those who just take hints, because so much can be misinterpreted, and I believe in open, upfront, communication. It takes miscommunication and assumptions out of the equation and just makes life simpler. And since life is complicated enough, anything that simplifies life when we're able to is a bonus in my opinion.

• I voted A. However, confrontation does not have to be a part of it. If there is an attraction with one and not the other both need to know so both can move on. Being hung-up on a dead end goes nowhere.

• I'd rather get the hint, but like 99% of dudes, I need to be told cause I can't pick up hints even if you hit me with a brick

• I can tell, but i prefer to hear an honest word. In my view it lets you exit at least with the respect of the other person because you stood up and told the truth.

true… its really hard to get it out of your mouth… but it feels way better afterwards.

Yeah, feels better for the other person too, closure is much better than not knowing.

I actually see people getting along better after being told a straight up no. It's the hint dropping and leaving a whiff of a chance that turns causes the bitter (creepy, stalking, excessive yada yada yada) behaviour.

• i prefer they tell me the truth but if they dont show much interest im just gonna drop them eventually. usually if i am not interested in someone i tell them head on. i dont want them to think i am interested in them when i am not, it makes me feel bad.

• The truth and that's good you had no filter for that guy. He knows what's wrong and to get a girl like you he shoukd focus more on improving hinself.

• Option a seems more feasible. Sometimes or the other the truth needs to be told. How you tell it is up to you.

• I'm usually so forward in my approach that it has to result in them straight up rejecting me or them wanting to get with me.

• every situation is different, you can't treat them all the same. Most the time I am good a picking up hints; that just come with experience tho.

• Tell me the truth. It may sting at the outset, but at least it's clear.

• I would prefer the truth. I would say to them we can be their friends but that's the extent to it.

• I can tell by their hints.

• This happened to me recently. I took the hint and backed off, but the person still called to break up. Why couldn't they just let things go silently, wasn't like I was not getting the hint?

What Girls Said 6

• I think I'm good at picking up hints.

• it would be easier for them to just straight up tell me and cut the bullshit but usually i can read between the lines before they have to go there

• Tell me 😬

• I think I'm good at picking up hints

• I want to know if they like me, especially if I like them. I don't wanna be played or strung along. I don't want to waste my time and get more hurt than I would if I knew sooner/now. I'm in that sitch right now and I'm gonna figure it out tomorrow morning!

• If someone I like is not interested in me, then I will know by their body language, facial expressions, attitude, etc