Would you date someone with depression and anorexia?

Question really says it all. Just wondering the opinions of some people.

Most Helpful Guy

• Very good question - I hope a level of trust and connection will develop so we can communicate fully - I would try and understand her as I hope she would me - Nobody is perfect and have their own insecurities - So if been insecure together can make us feel more secure, it is better for both of us. A journey travelled with someone special always seems shorter.

Most Helpful Girl

• I have before. i was ok with it being patient, but he got angry at me all the time, that was too much.

i was ok with the depression & anorexia, till i realized it can include tantrums. depression can involve rage not just sadness, or at least sadness can take form of violence, unfortunately. but if he got his behavior under control id give it another chance. he needs professional help though.

What Guys Said 37

• I did, that is hard and miserable. I think it is a bad idea to date someone who has sizeable mental imbalance... at least for me. so no.

• as someone who has been suffering with depression, PTSD, and alcoholism it would be hypocritical for me to say no. In my darkest hour, all i really wanted and needed was for someone to give me that support and a reason to snap myself out of it.

I would never rule someone out just because they had mental health issues. Mental health is too heavily stigmatised and more needs to be done to help those suffering. It really is as debilitating, if not more so than a physical injury.

• If I knew them from before or they were the ones who approached me, sure. But by myself I would probably not approach them.

You probably wouldn't know they were suffering from those problems would you dump them when they found out though?

It completely depends on whether I have grown to like them, and if they have grown to like me by the point the truth comes out. If there is mutual like/interest/love even, then I'd stay and adapt.

But if I found out about their problems on the first day, I'd probably not want another date.

Okay thanks for your opinion

• in both cases it depends on how bad it is.

generally yes, but not into walking skeletons or people who have already tried to do suicide and are still at risk

• Have before. It's fucking hard and takes its toll on the relationship. I think it boils down to whether or not she truly wanted to change.

Dude everyone wants to change it's just impossible sometimes

Hm, I don't believe either if those statements. Not everyone is unhappy with who they are so want to change. There's also degree, some day they want to change but do nothing about it.

Also I disagree that it's impossible. That just means you haven't exhausted all possibilities and/or don't want to change enough in order to do it. It takes a HELL of a lot of strength and willpower, and sometimes help, but anyone can change. Just a matter of wanting to bad enough, which can mean having to hit rock bottom. For my ex that rock bottom was having a heart attack at 20 because she starved away all of the protective fat around her heart.

Don't underestimate a strong support system that will hold you accountable.

• Honestly? No. I'm already taking care of one person like that don't need a second. It would be different if I was in a relationship and something like that developed but starting off with it? No thanks.

• Yes, I would. But Id try to get her help.

• Depressed people seem so unavailable so i would not date them. As for anorexia, i would only date them if they were recovering.

• I don't find people with anorexia physically attractive, because they're too thin.

• As a person I like the idea of helping someone with psychological problems and problems in general. I like the idea of being a hero and a person to help her in her time of need, being the good boyfriend I suppose. So yes I would.

• Why not?

• i did like one year ago, i liked the girl a lot and i wanted to help her. nevertheless at the end i didn't like her anymore because i was not prepared for a relationship like that , so i became a realy close friend of her , and since that moment i've been doing everytyhing possible to encourage her to improve.

• Nope.. doesn't feel right to me

• FUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKKKK NOOOOOO!!

• So many girls are being diagnosed with depression that it's getting hard to find one that hasn't taken medication at some point for it. I read something recently that social media is to blame for the rise in depression among young girls

• I don't see y not :)

• if i really liked that girl, id have to accept her as she is.. id want to try to help her

• already did... got her out of both ^^

no you didn't. im sure you offered support but no person can get another person free from their demons. itd be horrible if it was you bc then what happens when she's only got herself to rely on.

@spoons thanks for the support... i'm not gonna bother with an answer... in any case thanks for the back up

@spoons
      im not full of shit and im not saying anything against you.. im just being realistic.
      professionals dont even say THEY MADE someone better. its always about the person themselves doing the work. this is ALWAYS emphasized.,

no one said you were not helpful. support is EXTREMELY important, but it doesn't fix a person itHELPS them, people dont get better without doing the work themselves. you couldve had all the help in the world if you didn't try you wouldn't have improved. just like no teacher can make a person smart. they have to study. having no good teacher certainly will be detrimental but even the best teacher can't make a person learn.

• No. Do you have it?

• i would and i would try to help as much as i could - the idea is to make her happy and help her be healed

• Yea, they've got a lot in common with me

• yup I have dealt with both personally so yeah

• Yeah, cause i have Bipolar so i can relate to them good and with positive support.

• Yes, I'd try and help them with it.

• if u r comfy than do it...

• Yes absolutely the problem wouldn't affect the desire to date the girl

• Nah I can do without the negative energy

• Yes we all have our struggles it wouldn't deter me.

• I would

• Of coarse the closest to death is always the best..

• More from Guys
    7

What Girls Said 18

• It would be very Hard, @openthedoors... I am not like this.
    However, I do have Family members who have Anxiety and Depression, are Taking medication, and with their Spouse's who are very Loyal and Loving and Patient, it's Easier to Deal with when they know that their Loved One, hun, are under Doctor's Care.
    Good luck. xx

• No because I'm recovering from anorexia myself and not planning to relapse, so unless they were actually in recovery I would not. It would be suicide for me.

• Yes. I would try to help this person and do my best.

• you ll get better
    honestly I think it s better to not get involved with someone before you take care of yourself.
    handling a rl is already hard enough without someone being broken.

• I would date someone like that, and I'd try to help them get back to a good state. I know the feeling so I'm very understanding of things like that.

• I'm skinny and very few REALLY approach me
    Imagine if I was anorexic smh itd be impossible.
    No one would really try to dig for my personality

• i myself was suffering from depression and date someone who is already in depression and anorexia, i feel no.. it's better to go for counselling rather than to go on a date with depressed person because you't can't open up your feelings..

• i dont think so, i want someone confident who can make me laugh not someone annoying me

• Of course why wouldn't I?

• Yes. If you can't take someone at their 'worst' you don't deserve them at their best

• No.

..

• Sure

• Uhh, maybe?

• Nah there's no problem there id try to help

• I would have never guessed you were anorexic or depressed.

• considering i have both, i dont see why not

• I have a friend who have a lot of mental issues. And he's an amazing person i've ever seen. He's trying to get over it. And i wanna help him. Yes. I'd date them.

• no.
    I dated a guy once who constantly complained about every little thing in his life.
    And I couldn't stand on him.. He's giving me the whole wrong vibe and was very depressing annoying being around him.
    And he didn't have any depression / anorexia issue. so I just couldn't imagine myself dealing with a guy with depression and anorexia. Too much.
    If I like him very much and he's working on his issues then I'd be willing to support him there for him though.. but not for long.