What's with this double standard that girls can have physical preference for who they date, but guys can't?

My taste in girls is pretty much in line with what is considered conventionally attractive. So when I pass up a woman who doesn't do anything for me, I'm called a "shallow pig" by her friends and who is "only interested in models". What's so ridiculous about this is that for them to make such comments, they are obviously very well aware of their friends physical flaws, but of course *I* am supposed to look past them

Yet when the roles are reversed and a girl is rejecting a guy for being too short or out of shape, she's just exercising her freedom choice, which she has every right to have?

What's funny is, I've also turned down some women who were quite pretty, and people assumed i'm some kind of rare guy who wants more than looks xD

Most Helpful Girl

• I feel like it's a way for women to cope with the rejection to call you shallow. Let's face is 9/10 women are more hormonal and sensitive than guys.
    The double standard is this stupid belief that women are the delicate little flowers and you should never do anything to hurt their feelings. However, men are supposed to be these tough guys so girls don't realize their rejection for just as shallow of reasons can hurt a mans feelings and self esteem

What Girls Said 8

• Everyone is allowed to have physical preferences. Who cares what anyone else thinks? Regardless of what anyone says, both men AND women value looks and physical appearance. I don't know anyone who wants to date someone they aren't attracted to. Being rejected is hard though so some people just use anything they can to rationalize it by calling the person who rejected them "shallow" or any other name. Don't worry about it too much.

Do you respond more to physical or psychological aspects of attraction? For example, swag, wit, charm etc all make a guy attractive to girls. But of course, his physical looks also play a role in that. What do you, honey bee, respond more to?

Yeah I agree that personality is important too. But I'm saying that girls seem to respond *physically* to those kind of qualities I mentioned, in the same way they respond physically to a guy's good looks. So I would call that attraction on a psychological level. This is why I think that girls aren't as visual.

Eh, well I guess you disagree with me then. good talk i guess

• There is no double standard. You have every right to have a type and be attracted to certsin girls. Anyone who makes you feel like you are not allowed to exercise this right is either jealous or crazy.

• There's no double standard... unless you've been talking to a feminist

• there is no double standard

• Lol, so I guess the guys walking around saying 'No Fat Chick's' don't count, huh? Oh please, men reject women for shallow reasons just as women do it to men. It's not far but it's the law of attraction.

Did you even read the question? I know that men reject women for shallow reasons. Those guys "no fat chicks" defnitely exist. But there's a double standard that women think that it's wrong when guys do that, but its okay when they do it

Your questions is "What's with this double standard that girls can have physical preference for who they don't but guys cant'?"

I said they can and why they can. Did you base the question on your own adolescent emotions or on actual real dating? I'm assuming the former as your reasoning doesn't make any sense.

You didn't say that at all. It seems you misunderstood my question and thought I was saying guys are never shallow. Have you ever had a boyfriend before?

• Her friends are just oritecting their friend. We're all allowed to have preferences but there's no room for rudeness when you aren't interested, whether girl or guy just politely decline.

• Guys say the same thing. This isn't a double standard. Entitled bratty people of both genders do this unfortunately

• I'm not sure there's a double standard, I get called shallow a lot

What Guys Said 3

• It's just fat chicks being jealous. No one can tell me who to date and no amount of shaming is going to change my type. My type is my type. It's mine and no one else gets any input on the subject unless I say they do.

I just hate when their friends call you shallow, like they think guys are lucky to have a girl feel attraction for them, even I'm already dating someone more attractive than their friend, or simple have no interest in dating anyone at all.

• I'll never understand how men have one definition of beauty. Like there's only one perfect face and body? To me there's at least 100 different perfect combinations.

• lol never gotton the "double standards" from girls

it's always the pity party, "well I guess you want a girl that looks good as you" or "I guess I'm not pretty enough" or some shit