Online Dating: Risky or Is it worth it?

Ok, so I'm a little bit old school when it comes to dating or finding someone. You hit on me or I hit on , flirting, face to face, etc type of thing, no online dating sites lol. With now a days all this identity theft , scams , fake profiles and cyber issues going around it freaks me out a little on who I'm I meeting on the other end.

One day I turned to this online dating site just for fun had nothing else to do and created an account (although I'm single, but not desperate) haha. I did my searches and actually found/he found me. We've been chatting for about 5 days, I'll say. He lives the states but is spending sometime at the UK with his family. Based on our conversations, he seems nice (or too early to judge) and asked me to talk to him over the phone. ? I'm guessing he wants to video chat. Now, is this going to quick or is it normal in the online dating world?

he has a picture but I have no picture profile yet he still chats with me. Should I continue with this? Whenever he comes back to the states, should I offer to pick him up and see each other for the first time?

What do you think?

Most Helpful Guy

• Online dating is very worthy because you may meet the man/girl of your dreams over there, but in your case it seems weird because the guy talks to you and you don't even have a picture... This clearly shows that he is desperate for pussy and wants nothing more then that. If you are ok with having sex with him go ahead but verify his identity, tell him to send a picture of his driving licence, google using his name, see him live in video whatever.

But yes online dating is worth because nowadays we don't meet a lot of new people in real life (at least me I am busy 2 jobs gym...). You have the possibility to find and filter people by interests ethnicity whatever you want selection is easier, but the risks are higher too because if you are a girl most of the guys want just to bang you and act always nice like they want serious dating. There is no way telling if a guy wants to fuck you only or wants something serious to you by their behavior, the only thing that can tell that is time!!! If the guy agrees and is fine with you not having sex for lets say 3 months still acts good nice it means he wants something serious with you, otherwise you will be dumped after 1 week of not allowing him sex. I wish you all the best whatever your intentions are, just verify his identity and do whatever you want ;)

Most Helpful Girl

• honestly, GO FOR IT! I went on POF when I first started dating sites, I was looking for something, wasn't sure what. In my bio I also stated I wanted NO friends with benefits or one night stands.

anyways, I found a couple people that seemed ok, but it felted weird like there was something different. (I even talked on the phone with them).

then I met this other guy,
    we started texting every day, talking on the phone. and we have so much in common. we waited 2 weeks before actually meeting each other. (We skyped too)

you never know until you try! 8 months later and I'm so happy from that dating site ♡

What Guys Said 20

• Online, in theory, is the best way to date. If both were completely honest, you have someone you know your compatible with. That does not mean you will mesh when you meet, but it certainly is better then a chance encounter at a bar. If your like me, it is the only way I can date.
    1) I work from home. No co-worker females to choose from.
    2) I am not religious. No church environment to find women.
    3) I hate bars. And even during the very short period that I went to bars, no guy has any respect for a woman he met in a bar.
    4) I only have 1 friend I have known my whole life. I don't have a group that might find someone to set me up with.

• My guilty pleasure is watching catfish lol. There is some fucked up people out there that's for sure. I'm surprised he even talked to you if you have no photo at all on your profile, I don't think most people would do that.

Always, always, always video chat, or facetime with someone if you plan on meeting them. Its impossible for them to fake who they are in real-time, don't trust a snapchat, those can be hacked believe it or not.

• Online dating is fine, I met my current girlfriend through OKC.

Talking on the phone, skyping or meeting in person is the goal, as soon as possible. Online dating shouldn't be called "Dating" - it should be called, I don't know... icebreaking or something. You meet someone, you chat them up for a few days maybe, decide to meet up and see if you click. I don't understand people who want to drag that shit out for weeks or months.

• A lot of people (both guys and girls) don't take online dating seriously at all. I've always found it a complete waste of time but women and guys experiences in this are very different for sure. I hear a lot of women say they get so many messages from guys (most unwanted) that they get totally overwhelmed and ignore or give up almost immediately.

Now as far as this particular guy you've met, a video chat COULD be good, he might just want to see you and "verify" (you can see him to which is good) and there are no "surprises" when/if you do ever meet in person. But, be cautious to, a lot of guys are into cyber sex so you might open his cam up to see him naked or something to? It doesn't sound like you have to worry about that based on what you've said though. Long distance relationships can be very hard, especially if you both have busy lives so consider this also. If things progress are you going to get to see him as often as you'd like or need to?

• I dunno. I think God puts us in touch with someone however he desires whether it be in person or online.

• I would say it's little bit on the riskier side.

• It can be risky, but that's why people need to take precautions - even us older adults. I understand that identity theft has become an issue the last several years. That's why people need to be diligent in checking their credit score. You can only do so much before the fact. Yes, you could never post an online profile to date. But then that means your pool of dates narrow to those within about 100 miles or less - unless you travel frequent enough and far enough.

• In the modern age one out of four marriages begin online, one third of o new marriages begin over the web.

My best married a girl he met on tinder earlier this year. A coworker of mine is engaged to a man she met on this same app.

Really it just another place to meet people, and when it comes to finding love can really turn a blind eye on a tool that works for so many others?

• Nothing to lose over video, you'll get a better feel for who he is... if you like him then you can make a choice about seeing him.
    If you dont, you feel creeped out or whatever you can cut the video call. Its zero risk really.

• Sure, why not. I met my wife online. Long distance can be difficult but lots of people have made it work. Good luck.

• I found my wife online. I think there is no harm in having a video chat. The biggest thing is to just throw everything you want out there. You'll save yourself some trouble doing that.

• It's worth it. You just need to think of a way to verify that it is in fact a real person and the person that they say they are in their profile.

• Can be both. If you're going to do it, make sure you know who you are talking to, and you'll be fine

• Online dating is like
    A needle in a hay stack

Its useless trying to do it
    But somewhere out there with someone it could be very much worth it
    Just hard to find

• its probably worth it if your careful. there is pleanty of opportunity for scamers, or dishonest people.

• Online dating is a risk taking

• Neither, I tried it for years with nothing happening other than rejection just like regular life.

• Silly choice. It's only for shy people.

• Dating in general is risky. Even if you know someone there's no garuntee that they won't snap and slit your throat open if you say one word they didn't want to hear. you're most at risk from people you know. Family close friends. Most murders happen from someone you know. Most rapes too. Is online dating *more* risky than day to day dating? I dont know. I think most people survive. But just cuz there's risk doesn't mean its not worth doing. Otherwise youd have to live in a sterile bubble and never leave your house. Or live underground or something.

If you want to be safe as possible then its a good idea to video chat. This way you know what they look like. Or a time stamped picture. Have them take a picture holding up a piece of paper with that days date and time. Then you know you're not talking to a creepy fat 50 year old serial rapist who posted a catfish picture. But video chatting can't be faked. They could use a loop but this is pretty obvious as they can't respond to questions.

For a first date I would more recommend meeting separately in a public place. At least this way you can use your instincts and his body language to see if you get any instinctual warnings. I dont see why it would be an issue to video chat though. Just dont click on any links or download anything he sends you. Copy and paste links. Dont click them. Always. And change passwords often, dont use the same password for everything you use. Never. Basic computer safety.

But yeah. Dont be under the illusion that everhthing else is safe. There is danger literally everywhere. An ounce of precaution is worth a pound of cure. But that doesn't mean things aren't worth doing. If you asked me if the ratio of online dating worth to danger was high I would say I dont think so. you're prolly fine. But taking precautions won't hurt.

What Girls Said 1