Dating older guys... how old is too old?

So I'm 19 and I have a crush on this guy. He's 29. So I was wondering if that's too big of a gap (my friends say it isnt) and just out of curiosity how much older would be acceptable in your eyes.

Most Helpful Guy

• The socially acceptable age range for males is half their age + 7. So, for a 29 year old, it would be 21 years old. 19 isn't too far from that. You *might* get some shit, but it's not a overly large gap. My parents are 9 years apart. My mom had me when she was 20 and my dad was 29. They got married a year before. I don't think 9-10 years is very uncommon. Though it's usually like 2-5 years, I think. Going past that, and it starts becoming more and more ick-factor.

Wow !!! I thought I was the only one on GAG who read about that theory (when younger). That confirms I did not create it out of my imagination !!! The W = M/2 + 7 theory. :)

@HaveNoName I don't think it's a theory. >_> Just a colloquialism. Or just a common term thrown around for socially acceptable age.

I understand :)

Most Helpful Girl

• That's 10 years, and that is what I call the max of an okay age gap. You realize that he has more experience with life than you, and will be on a different wavelength than you. But your over the age of 18, so its entirely up to you. Just be careful and mindful that people like that can always take advantage of you. Look for any red flags and don't be afraid to say something about it. It can work, but regardless to age, there is no guarantee just like with everything else. In my opinion its high, but its your choice. I wouldn't do it for myself. But if you can, then do whatever you want. Its your life, but you have a bigger responsibility now.

What Guys Said 10

• As long as you are both mature and have a real connection, age doesn't matter at all.

However, you are only 19 and although you might feel mature, I guarantee that when you look back in 5 years, you will understand how young you are now.

The only problem with any age gape is: are you both in the same place in your life. That is much harder with an age gap, but not at all impossible.

• to old in my kind would be i if your pushing your boy friend in a wheel chair back to his room at the nursing home before you have too go to school. lol

• As long as the two of you are happy, there is no such thing as too old. When my daughter was your age, she was dating a guy in his mid 30's. It's just not a big deal.

• you're only thinking short sighted

• If he's interested he's either only after sex or he's a very immature 29-year old.

• you're 19. date whoever the fuck you want. you need to be happy, not the people who see you together

• I only see two ages, legal and illegal.

• if you get along what difference does it make?

• My mom married my dad. She's 53 now and he passed away recently at 89. :/ only numbers

• Age is just a number.

However, I'll tell you this. You're 19, and he's 29. He's got a HELL of a lot more life experience than you do. That's usually where the concern comes in.

What Girls Said 10

• You'll have to use your own judgment.
    Personally I couldn't be with someone who's over 7 years older than me.

• for me 29 is a bit too old atm because I know I am not that mature.. unless that 29 year old same level as me re maturity.. if that was the case I wouldn't go for him anyway

• My parents were fifteen years apart. I think the age gap grows as you get older. So long as you're in the same stage of life (I. e. High school, college, career/adult) I think it can work.

• I'd say it doesn't matter, love is love no matter how old

• Well i'm 19 as well and i'm intersted in 30+ years old men, ain't nothing wrong with that lol.

• Age doesn't matter.

• Age is just a number. It now depends on your date's personality.

• For me too old will be like 10 years my age.

• It's too big of a gap

The thing is its more about mental age but rarely ever does it not matter. It's very important to be able to be able to think around the same level.

• my ex was 30 yo older