I made my girlfriend cry. Is she overreacting?

My 20 years old girlfriend is always asking me if she is fat. She is not! But yesterday I was so tired of her asking me that I told her that she could try to loose some weight so she got obsessed with that.
She asked me again and again if she was fat and then she cried like a baby. She locked herself in the room and cried.

Now she hates me but i did not mean to call her fat because she is not. She is always doing diets and she is probably about 97 pounds. I told her that men do not like super skinny girls so she also took that as me calling her fat.

Most Helpful Girl

• Haha so this is a losing argument. It seems like she is very insecure with her looks and needs some reassurance you find her attractive. I understand your frustration with being asked the same question and have no advice on how to stop her asking, but definitely think saying she could lose some made the situation worse

Most Helpful Guy

• it sounds to me like your girlfriend probably suffers from body dysmorphia. it means that in order to be with her you are going to have to be patient and NEVER suggest certain things (like she is fat, needs to diet, exercise) because that will trigger a very serious emotional response.

What Girls Said 8

• Yuuup... you f*cked up! NEVER EVER answer that question... EVER! It's a trap!
    Girls have isses with self esteem, she sees herself bigger then she actually is.
    Maybe she is asking you this because she feels you don't give her enough compliments? You want her to stop asking you need to start making sweet (not sexual) comments about her looks and specifically what you like. Nothing makes a girl feel better after being physical than a guy just sitting their looking at her and telling her she is beautiful (you can also doing it during, she won't mind) You should also compliment something not physical/appearance wise.

Yea she's going to cry and look herself I her room. When heard you say, "yea you could stand to lose a pound". You need to apologize and tell her what you told us, you just got so sick of her asking over and over again you said what you thought she wanted you to say, you don't think she is fat. And she is beautiful the way she is.

• That's such a crappy question for her to keep asking you. But it sounds like she has some emotional and psychological issues. 97 pounds. How tall is she?

I'm not saying this as a joke. She might be heading towards anorexia so getting some help might be good for her.

You're not a jerk, but you answered the question like a jerk. I would try to discuss with her the potential that she may have an eating disorder.

• She is overreacting a little bit but she could have an eating disorder so watch out or take her to a therapist

• She's over reacting BIG TIME

• I'm also like this. I know it sucks but she's just going to keep asking until you say she's fat and then she's going to be hurt. You can't really do much about it other than suck it up. Blame the media for making girls doubt themselves and worry about their weight so much.

• she's insecure, tell her everyday that she's beautiful, skinny, and perfect. eventully she'll start to feel more secure

• Well your girlfriend is crybaby

• Watch out! she could have a more serious problem.

What Guys Said 2

• She is overreacting but you have to accept you are wrong and apologize for your actions. This is the way of nature xD

• you didn't do anything wrong at all