During Highschool what do you think the age distances in dating shouldn't be?

There's a guy I like but he's a little over two years older than me. I'm trying to decide if it would be appropriate to try and date him, or if I should keep it as friends.

• Same age
  • 1 year apart or less
  • 2 years apart or less
  • 3 years apart or less
  • 4 years apart or less
  • It doesn't matter as long as they are happy

Most Helpful Girl

• Well I'm glad that your taking much into consideration for this, and some girls your age do not. But as far as I can see, your only 15 years old. So I say that even though he is two years older than you, its entirely up to you, him, your parents and his parents. If you few your mature enough to handle somebody who may end up leaving high school soon, and he is mature and responsible enough to understand what this would mean for a relationship with you, then go ahead.

But anything over 3 years is definitely pushing it. And I would not suggest it. Overall like with any relationship, just be careful. Make your intentions clear and what you are seeking out of this relationship, if you do date him.

What Guys Said 11

• Any more than about 2 years seems to be socially unacceptable. In my day I met a really great girl who was in grade 9 and I was grade 12. She was awesome, hot, great personality, and so on, but I never dated her simply because of the age gap even though she followed me around like a lost puppy. I got teased like crazy over it and it was just generally frowned upon. Rocking the cradle!

That's basically my problem. Two people who could have a great relationship but the age gap is not socially acceptable.

I think people freak out over that number too much. A 16 year old and 18 year old seems completely normal to me.

THe laws are in place to keep much older men from young girls, 16 and 18 is basically the same

@HonestWhiteGuy I know, you are right, it just SEEMs that way, LOL! I remember being about 15 years old and having a major crush on one of my sisters friends who was 12 or 13 at the time. Never got anywhere with her. I was about 18 and saw her playing in the sprinkler in her front yard that summer, so she was around 15, maybe 16. All I saw was a "little girl" still compared to the girls my age.

• 1 year apart or less.
    Seeing a 17 y/o with a 15 y/o is kinda weird :/

• in HS , same age is the best option in my opinion.
    1 year apart or less is still feasible in my opinion.
    2 years apart or less is VERY much in my opinion
    3 rs or more is a big NO in my opinion.

• "A little over two years" means you'll still be 15 when he turns 18...

• TBH it shouldn't be more than a grade difference between the two

• Anything more than a year is kinda pushing it

• I would not think it's appropriate, but that's just me.

• 2 years is reasonable, I think maybe try it out just be careful since older guys like that will want to get laid, so dont let him pressure you if you aren't ready for it yet

• I think if your both in high school and you like him , then just talk to him and see where things go. Other wise just focus on you and finishing school...

• Age ain't nuthing but a number-Aaliyah.

• it doesn't matter, its your choice.

What Girls Said 4

• Me and my man started dating when i was 15 and he was 18. It was the summer between my third and fourth grade of highschool. Now im 19 and he's 22. Still together. Still happy. :)
    Age doesn't matter that much in my opinion, but of course at some point i'd say that if the age difference is like 5-6 years it's the life experience and where your partner is in his life (ex:. Responsibilities, past, etc.) in highschool you're still young and have a lot to learn and see. But i guess we never know.

That's a nice story! I'm a little confused by your age & grade though, at 15 you were between your 3rd and 4th year of highschool? Where was that? Most people in the States and Canada are 16/17 depending on their birthday.

@PlainJane86 im in October. Summer between my third and fourth grade i was 15 and then when school started like one month after i turned 16. I live in Canada.

• It depends how old they are a 13 year old dating a 17 or 18 year old is a little dodgy but a 17 or 18 year old dating a 22 year old isn't so bad.

• Any more than 3 years is a bit of a stretch tbh, but it all depends upon the maturity of the two individuals.

• Im 17 and I like a 14 year old guy sadly. I'd never date him though, because my rule is the youngest they have to be is at most a year.

Sadly this guys is everything I want in a person, being attractive musically talented funny smart and more. Plus he is taller and looks older than me because I am only 5'0. I hate age gaps