Can guys be shy/uncomfortable around the girl they like even though they have lots of female friends?

So there is this guy I like and he's in my lecture class. He's extremely outgoing and I always see him around girls (pretty girls too). Has lots of friends too.
I may be TOTALLY delusional but I catch him staring at me a lot. We always bump into each other on campus and he always quickly glances at me. He doesn't smile at me though. And we NEVER talk.

Whenever I am near him he seems to act kind of cold. I saw him at the library once and I purposely sat at a table near him. I pretended to look at my paper but from the corner of my eye I could see him constantly turning his head in my direction. However, when I catch him looking at me he would act all cold.
If he's so comfortable around girls, why doesn't he at least warm up a bit and smile at me? Or just say hi? Is he even interested in me?

What Guys Said 2

• Yep, totally possible. I think it's because a guy is afraid of doing something that will turn a gal off (his crush). The thing is that he's not being his TRUE self.

• Yes they can. I'm sure women are the same way

What Girls Said 1

• Well for shy people its takes a lot to even say a few things without being social awkward. It takes time. People have layers upon layers like a onion to get to the root. He doesn't know you enough to actually warm up to you. Its sound like he is more distrustful of you and is wondering WHY are you around him. The point is you are not really picking up the hints. He doesn't sound shy. He is just reserved to certain people. But he is not interested in you in that way. There is something about you, that he may find a bit interesting. But from my perspective he doesn't like you romantically. Its one sided for you. So unless he's what you call a Tsundere [in the Japanese fandom], where their cold around their crushes with lots of sexual tension, but warm and fuzzy on the inside. But have to have a lot of time to open up... it doesn't mean anything but a lot of disappointment and annoyance for you. So the best way to find out is either gather up the courage to talk to him yourself and ask him, or let it go.