Why can I not seem to get over my ex?

My ex and I dated for 6 months, and we've been broken up for 5 months already but I cannot seem to get over him. Thing is, we were friends before we got together, and he wanted to stay friends after, but I couldn't do it. I tried but... the thought that he planned on moving out of state without me, the thought that he didn't see a future with me, it all stung too badly. So as much as he said he truly cared about me and wanted me in his life as a friend, I just couldn't do it. Well, he still hasn't moved, though he still plans to eventually, (when he finds a job) and I haven't spoken to him in 2 months. But the urge to talk to him everyday is unbelievable. To hear his voice, to cuddle and share our inside jokes, talk about our hopes and fears for hours like we used to... I don't know why I can't move on. I've unfriended him on facebook and blocked him on whatsapp. I have many friends and lead a very active social life, I work out, I try to keep up my hobbies in my spare time, even gone on some dates with other guys but... nothing seems to help. I really don't know what else I can do. Even though he mightve been the first guy I really fell in love with, this seems like a ridiculous amount of time to not be over it, and I've never experienced this intense of a heartache before. I've dated plenty, I've experienced degrees of heartache before, but never to this level, and seems especially excessive considering our relationship was relatively short. Any advice much appreciated :(

1mo Any tips at all will help, thanks :)

What Guys Said 1

• Why do people always want to stay "friends"? Yes, it can happen. But before all of that, there needs to be a good amount of time. Not 2 months. In a long term relationship, I'd say at least a year, minimum, with no contact. And yes, the possibility exists that you may never be able to have that kind of relationship with him. I hope you can. But be realistic, and move at the pace of things.

Thank you for your reply :)

What Girls Said 2

• it takes time hun! it will heal !

• You're doing great. You feel need to talk to him, yet you ignore it and you try to move on. You're already doing good. You need to keep it up and you will eventually get over him.